By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vapor trails

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Rush Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lamneth



Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 42
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Vapor trails Reply with quote

I havent heard this album yet, but I understand that many complain about the production and the overly loud sound. Who here can tell me something about the album?
_________________
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Me



Joined: 09 Dec 2003
Posts: 3086

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO I think it is one of their best to date. Of course, I like ALL their music and "RUSH" is my top choice in listening pleasure. Buy it you won't be disappointed!!!
_________________
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamneth



Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 42
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting it. It also has another song which is the part of their Fear cyclus. How good is it?
_________________
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
moYrseYcZode



Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 56
Location: St.Louis, Missouri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard the same thing about the album in reviews, but bought it just a few days ago. I think it could be better, but for as hard as most of the songs are, it works just fine ! About half of the songs are great songs, while the rest are just "good", IMO. You gotta love the first track, One Little Victory, b/c Peart's crazy-ass drummin' is awesome, the guitar riffs are cool, and it's just a rockin' song ! As far as the fourth "Fear" song--Freeze--goes, it wasn't really what I was expecting, especially as its part of a series that includes the song Witch Hunt, which was wonderful. It is still a good song, though not one of the better songs on the album. BTW, what are the two other songs in the "Fear" series Confused ...I know of Witch Hunt and Freeze, but what are the others/what albums are they on?
_________________
I see, and then I drool...



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
H3WMW



Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 594
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch Hunt is Part 3 of Fear - from Moving Pictures - 1981

The Weapon is Part 2 of Fear - from Signals - 1982

The Enemy Within is Part 1 of Fear - from Grace Under Pressure - 1984

Freeze is Part 4 of Fear - from Vapor Trails - 2002



Now you're probably thinking to yourself, "Why is part 3 on an earlier album than parts 2 and 1?"

Neil decided at the time when writing the lyrics to the "Moving Pictures" songs that "Witch Hunt" would be good in a theme of songs (known as Fear) but the lyrics would be suited best to the last part (at the time as it was meant to be just a trilogy).

Here's what Neil Peart said about it..............

Quote:
"It's really kind of strange how it turned out, and it's not meant to be as mysterious and clever as it looks. It was more accidental. At the time of Moving Pictures, I had actually sketched out each of the three songs in my notebook and talked to the other guys about them and what I was going to go for, but the easiest one for me to clarify in my mind and in words was 'Witch Hunt,' because it was the simplest concept to deal with, and then 'The Weapon' came next because my thinking led up to that point, but in fact a couple snatches of lyrics and even both of the verses for 'The Enemy Within' were written as long ago as that, and all of the titles and everything were fixed on, and what I wanted to write about, but 'The Enemy Within' was the most difficult one to deal with, so it ended up being the last one done, so they happened to go in the order 3-2-1."

- Neil Peart, in an interview on KGB 101 FM, San Diego, 10/2/84



If you've seen the "Grace Under Pressure" tour video (or DVD in the new Replay x 3 set) you'll notice that the original "Fear" trilogy appears on the track listing but in ASCENDING order so it shows as THE ENEMY WITHIN, THE WEAPON, and then WITCH HUNT.

When Rush toured on their "Vapor Trails" tour I thought they might have resurrected the now "Fear" quadrilogy and played all 4 parts of "Fear" but alas, it was not to happen.
_________________

Bassist of Joe's Band



Last edited by H3WMW on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
H3WMW



Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 594
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the top question, the album "Vapor Trails" is a fantastic album musically.

I agree that the production is somewhat abysmal (sp?) but a few albums from different bands in 2002/03 sounded like that for some reason.

Perhaps they were all mastered at the same place?

When I first heard VT back in 2002 I listened to the songs and not the production. I fell in love with them, especially "One Little Victory", "Ghost Rider", "Vapor Trail", "Earthshine" and "Sweet Miracle".

They all pretty much grabbed me straight away when they were first played on my CD player.

Can't say more than that really apart from BUY IT!!!!
_________________

Bassist of Joe's Band

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kares4Rush



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3187
Location: New York

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapor Trails is an absolutely WONDERFUL album in my opinion. One of the best.

The complicated layering of the music and vocals were used as texture to replace things like keyboards. Many TRUE rockers on it and wonderful songs that make me smile or cry or just wanna JAM.

The lyrics on the album are enigmatic, poignant and show the deep and raw pain Neil went through prior to the making of this gem. If you read the book Ghost Rider which was written simultaneously to the album you will see where many of the lyrics came from.
_________________


Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
awip2062



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 25543

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely read the book, it will help you understand the lyrics more, although the album can stand alone and still be greatly enjoyed.

I chime in with my GED IT!
_________________
Onward and Upward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
moYrseYcZode



Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 56
Location: St.Louis, Missouri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c
H3WMW wrote:
Witch Hunt is Part 3 of Fear - from Moving Pictures - 1981

The Weapon is Part 2 of Fear - from Signals - 1982

The Enemy Within is Part 1 of Fear - from Grace Under Pressure - 1984

Freeze is Part 4 of Fear - from Vapor Trails - 2002



Now you're probably thinking to yourself, "Why is part 3 on an earlier album than parts 2 and 1?"

Neil decided at the time when writing the lyrics to the "Moving Pictures" songs that "Witch Hunt" would be good in a theme of songs (known as Fear) but the lyrics would be suited best to the last part (at the time as it was meant to be just a trilogy).

Here's what Neil Peart said about it..............

Quote:
"It's really kind of strange how it turned out, and it's not meant to be as mysterious and clever as it looks. It was more accidental. At the time of Moving Pictures, I had actually sketched out each of the three songs in my notebook and talked to the other guys about them and what I was going to go for, but the easiest one for me to clarify in my mind and in words was 'Witch Hunt,' because it was the simplest concept to deal with, and then 'The Weapon' came next because my thinking led up to that point, but in fact a couple snatches of lyrics and even both of the verses for 'The Enemy Within' were written as long ago as that, and all of the titles and everything were fixed on, and what I wanted to write about, but 'The Enemy Within' was the most difficult one to deal with, so it ended up being the last one done, so they happened to go in the order 3-2-1."

- Neil Peart, in an interview on KGB 101 FM, San Diego, 10/2/84



If you've seen the "Grace Under Pressure" tour video (or DVD in the new Replay x 3 set) you'll notice that the original "Fear" trilogy appears on the track listing but in ASCENDING order so it shows as THE ENEMY WITHIN, THE WEAPON, and then WITCH HUNT.

When Rush toured on their "Vapor Trails" tour I thought they might have resurrected the now "Fear" quadrilogy and played all 4 parts of "Fear" but alas, it was not to happen.


Thanks for the answer, H3 ! Nice and thorough!
_________________
I see, and then I drool...



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
moYrseYcZode



Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 56
Location: St.Louis, Missouri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kares4Rush wrote:
Vapor Trails is an absolutely WONDERFUL album in my opinion. One of the best.

The complicated layering of the music and vocals were used as texture to replace things like keyboards. Many TRUE rockers on it and wonderful songs that make me smile or cry or just wanna JAM.

The lyrics on the album are enigmatic, poignant and show the deep and raw pain Neil went through prior to the making of this gem. If you read the book Ghost Rider which was written simultaneously to the album you will see where many of the lyrics came from.


I agree with you totally, Kares, and I am definitely going to buy Ghost Rider from Borders sometime soon ! Peart is an amazing lyricist/drummer/all-around-musician, and I am sure he is an equally amazing author, too.
_________________
I see, and then I drool...



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
H3WMW



Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 594
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moYrseYcZode wrote:
c
H3WMW wrote:
Witch Hunt is Part 3 of Fear - from Moving Pictures - 1981

The Weapon is Part 2 of Fear - from Signals - 1982

The Enemy Within is Part 1 of Fear - from Grace Under Pressure - 1984

Freeze is Part 4 of Fear - from Vapor Trails - 2002



Now you're probably thinking to yourself, "Why is part 3 on an earlier album than parts 2 and 1?"

Neil decided at the time when writing the lyrics to the "Moving Pictures" songs that "Witch Hunt" would be good in a theme of songs (known as Fear) but the lyrics would be suited best to the last part (at the time as it was meant to be just a trilogy).

Here's what Neil Peart said about it..............

Quote:
"It's really kind of strange how it turned out, and it's not meant to be as mysterious and clever as it looks. It was more accidental. At the time of Moving Pictures, I had actually sketched out each of the three songs in my notebook and talked to the other guys about them and what I was going to go for, but the easiest one for me to clarify in my mind and in words was 'Witch Hunt,' because it was the simplest concept to deal with, and then 'The Weapon' came next because my thinking led up to that point, but in fact a couple snatches of lyrics and even both of the verses for 'The Enemy Within' were written as long ago as that, and all of the titles and everything were fixed on, and what I wanted to write about, but 'The Enemy Within' was the most difficult one to deal with, so it ended up being the last one done, so they happened to go in the order 3-2-1."

- Neil Peart, in an interview on KGB 101 FM, San Diego, 10/2/84



If you've seen the "Grace Under Pressure" tour video (or DVD in the new Replay x 3 set) you'll notice that the original "Fear" trilogy appears on the track listing but in ASCENDING order so it shows as THE ENEMY WITHIN, THE WEAPON, and then WITCH HUNT.

When Rush toured on their "Vapor Trails" tour I thought they might have resurrected the now "Fear" quadrilogy and played all 4 parts of "Fear" but alas, it was not to happen.


Thanks for the answer, H3 ! Nice and thorough!
You are welcome mate.
_________________

Bassist of Joe's Band

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D'Anconia



Joined: 20 Jun 2004
Posts: 411
Location: Beaverton, OR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to VT as a whole for the first time in months, maybe a year. I had forgotten what a great album this is.
_________________
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Rush Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group