Crime and Punishment

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:
Me wrote:Sadam was not a just leader but neither are many,some still in power that are just as guilty of commiting crimes against humanity.

I had a horrific dream last night and woke the whole house up @ 11:30 with a blood curdling scream. I was lying at the bottom of the stairs my neck twisted and was trying to yell for help. Then I started to bang on the stairs when they started moving up and down and then a blanket that was on the wall started blowing as the strong winds of the gallows blew in :shock: I have had bad dreams in the past but when it comes to spirits it scares the heck out of me. Kind of strange I figured it was just about the time he hung by the neck.
You know I have to hand it to Saddam. He took his like a man. Did not beg, no hood...bastard to the end. His brother and that other yo yo... <-- :-D git it... :-D cried like little girls, begged not to die. what a couple of sissies.. can dish it out but can't take it.
Yeah, I think of how bad they were treated too....Every time I see a images of a American GI being dragged through the streets and mutilated.

My heart pumps pure piss for 'em.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Unfortunately, if you stand in the middle of a civil war, you open yourself up to this kind of horribleness.
I wonder what would have become of other cultures/countries if they tried to take sides in our own Civil War, standing on our land with weapons. Ya know, the bloodiest war in the history of the world?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Unfortunately, if you stand in the middle of a civil war, you open yourself up to this kind of horribleness.
I wonder what would have become of other cultures/countries if they tried to take sides in our own Civil War, standing on our land with weapons. Ya know, the bloodiest war in the history of the world?
Oh, you mean the "War Between the States"....

Read:

European immigrants joined the Union Army in large numbers. Over 6,000 Germans in New York immediately responded to Lincoln's call for volunteers. Another 4,000 Germans in Pennsylvania also joined. The French community were keen to show its support of the Union. The Lafayette Guards, an entirely French company, was led by Colonel Regis de Trobriand. The 55th New York Volunteers was also mainly composed of Frenchmen.

It is estimated that over 400,000 immigrants served with the Union Army. This included 216,000 Germans and 170,000 Irish soldiers. There were several important German born military leaders such as August Willich, Carl Schurz, Alexander Schimmelfennig, Peter Osterhaus, Franz Sigel and Max Weber.

One Irish immigrant, Thomas Meagher, became a highly successful commander in the war. Another important military figure was the Norwegian soldier, Hans Christian Heg, who was mainly responsible for establishing the Fifteenth Wisconsin Volunteers (also known as the Scandinavian Regiment).

An estimated 4,000 Swedes fought in the Union Army. Hans Mattson had a successful career as a colonel in the Union Army and later became Secretary of State for Minnesota (1870-1872).

At Chickamauga 63% of the Scandinavian Regiment were killed, wounded or captured. This included Colonel Hans Christian Heg, the highest ranking officer in Wisconsin to die in the war. Heavy losses were also experienced by the Scandinavian Regiment at Pickett's Mill (27th May, 1864).

The Confederate Army had few foreign-born soldiers. There main support came from Irish immigrants and an estimated 40,000 joined the forces fighting the Union Army. The Irish tended to support the Democratic Party rather than the Republican Party. This led to the Irish taking part in draft riots in Boston and New York City during the summer of 1863.

The Irish had little sympathy for slaves as they feared that if they were given their freedom they would move north and threaten the jobs being done by Irish immigrants. One leading Irish-American politician, John Mitchel, wrote in his newspaper, The Citizen in 1856: "He would be a bad Irishman who voted for principles which jeopardized the present freedom of a nation of white men, for the vague forlorn hope of elevating blacks to a level for which it is at least problematical whether God and nature ever intended them."
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Wow, thanks for illustrating my point so succinctly and completely.
The main difference is that we are a country of immigrants (and native American murderers) so little surprise that we utilized these people to our (and their) own ends.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Wow, thanks for illustrating my point so succinctly and completely.
The main difference is that we are a country of immigrants (and native American murderers) so little surprise that we utilized these people to our (and their) own ends.
And they're all still allies too, so it all came out in the wash, didn't it?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Time heals all wounds...even mortal ones, apparently.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hey, man, don't forged the last Confederate General to surrender was Cherokee.

*chants*

STATES RIGHTS! STATES RIGHTS STATES RIGHTS! STATES RIGHTS!
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Wow, thanks for illustrating my point so succinctly and completely.
not me dude... I was born here and I like Indians... :-D
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I thought you liked the Colts, man. *wink*
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

thats what Indians rode right?
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You is a smart white man, that's for sure! :D
Onward and Upward!
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Soup4Rush wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
not me dude... I was born here and I like Indians... :-D
I like Indians too. The
Iroquois were a bit mean and sure knew how to torture someone, even enjoying it too.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

is t Iroquois? :-D
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

No I'm Navajo and Cherokee as far as the injun parts of me.

*plays with duct tape*
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

what about the torture part... heap um injun... :-D
Happy 2015!