Department of Peace?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Department of Peace?

Post by awip2062 »

Anyone see this?

Andrew Ramonas of The GW Hatchet Online reports that AEROSMITH frontman Steven Tyler joined actor Joaquin Phoenix, U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and other members of Congress at Lisner Auditorium in Washington D.C. Monday night (Feb. 5) to lobby for the creation of a Department of Peace in front of an eclectic crowd of 200 people.

The star-studded event was the culmination of three days of lobbying by the Peace Alliance for "808," a bill sponsored by Kucinich that calls for the creation of a Department of Peace. The bill, which was introduced for the fourth time in the U.S. House of Representatives Monday night, would create a department that would advise the president on peaceful solutions to domestic and international violence.

Phoenix, who attended the annual "Department of Peace Conference" last year, said that he was "incredibly motivated and inspired" by the movement.

"I have to say 'fuck yeah,'" said Phoenix, who won a Golden Globe award for the movie "Walk the Line" in which he portrayed the late singer and songwriter Johnny Cash.

"I'm just really excited about today and what has been going on the last couple of days," Phoenix said during the event.

He then introduced Tyler, lead singer of the rock band AEROSMITH. Tyler explained how Peace Alliance Founder and Chair Marianne Williamson convinced him to perform at the event.

"I get a call from Marianne and she tells me what she is doing," said Tyler, who was vacationing in Maui, Hawaii, when he received the call. "She said, 'The road with no obstacles probably leads to nowhere.' That was the end of my vacation."

Tyler, who was accompanied by pianist and guitarist Russ Irwin, sang three of his hit songs including "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Pink", and "Dream On".
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Re: Department of Peace?

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Anyone see this?

Andrew Ramonas of The GW Hatchet Online reports that AEROSMITH frontman Steven Tyler joined actor Joaquin Phoenix, U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and other members of Congress at Lisner Auditorium in Washington D.C. Monday night (Feb. 5) to lobby for the creation of a Department of Peace in front of an eclectic crowd of 200 people.

The star-studded event was the culmination of three days of lobbying by the Peace Alliance for "808," a bill sponsored by Kucinich that calls for the creation of a Department of Peace. The bill, which was introduced for the fourth time in the U.S. House of Representatives Monday night, would create a department that would advise the president on peaceful solutions to domestic and international violence.

Phoenix, who attended the annual "Department of Peace Conference" last year, said that he was "incredibly motivated and inspired" by the movement.

"I have to say 'fuck yeah,'" said Phoenix, who won a Golden Globe award for the movie "Walk the Line" in which he portrayed the late singer and songwriter Johnny Cash.

"I'm just really excited about today and what has been going on the last couple of days," Phoenix said during the event.

He then introduced Tyler, lead singer of the rock band AEROSMITH. Tyler explained how Peace Alliance Founder and Chair Marianne Williamson convinced him to perform at the event.

"I get a call from Marianne and she tells me what she is doing," said Tyler, who was vacationing in Maui, Hawaii, when he received the call. "She said, 'The road with no obstacles probably leads to nowhere.' That was the end of my vacation."

Tyler, who was accompanied by pianist and guitarist Russ Irwin, sang three of his hit songs including "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Pink", and "Dream On".
Yep. He did the radio-station-interview rounds here Monday as well.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He? Which he?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:He? Which he?
Tyler.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Were they on this subject? Did he make any sense, seem to have adequate knowledge about the issue, or was he just being another rock star spokesman for a cause?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Were they on this subject? Did he make any sense, seem to have adequate knowledge about the issue, or was he just being another rock star spokesman for a cause?
they spent more time kissing up than on the issues. I said the-hell-with-it and popped in a CD....
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

'smith?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:'smith?
nope.....Collective Soul...

Love 'em.....Hard to play on guitar though...Very Page'esque chordings and tunings....they tune down a lot.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Department of Peace???

But...but...didn't Joachim Phoenix STAB Russell Crowe in Gladiator??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

;)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Actors and rock stars. I'm sure they have all the answers if we'd just listen to 'em. And I mean ALL the answers.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*sings*

"When I find myself in times of trouble/ Mother Mary comes to me/ Saying words of wisdom/ Let it be......"
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Heh, I just watched a DVD of Paul McCartney in Red Square doing that song last night. :)

And I'll have to sing it myself in front of people a week from tomorrow. :shock:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I prefer John Denver performing it, but I'd love to see Elfie play it!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:I prefer John Denver performing it, but I'd love to see Elfie play it!
I've got an LP of John Denver doing that song. And compared to me, I'd rather hear him too! :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Poems, Prayers, and Promises or a compilation album?

I miss John Denver. He was so full of talent. Too bad he was also so full of alcohol and then seawater.

I would still like to hear it done by Elf.
Onward and Upward!