New Comedy Show

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

New Comedy Show

Post by ElfDude »

Looks like the guy who made 24 is making an attempt at a comedy show that could be the balance to The Daily Show. The Daily Show is indeed hilarious, but the endless leftist spin gets tiresome. It'll be cool if this show takes off.
From Vareity.com:
FNC takes satire out for spin
Network to air two Surnow pilots
By MICHAEL LEARMONTH

Fox News Channel is airing two pilots of Joel Surnow's "The ? Hour News Hour" to test the market for a right-leaning satire show.
FNC is testing the concept on Sunday nights. The first episode will air at 10 p.m. Sunday and repeat the following Sunday. The second episode will air at the same time March 4.

The show, which stars comedians Kurt Long and Jenn Robertson, owes quite a bit to "Saturday Night Live" segment "Weekend Update" in both format and spirit. The "newscasters" will take a story of the day and then spin it to a comedic extreme.

"We're calling it news with a sense of humor," said Surnow, producer of Fox's "24." "It's a show that satirizes the targets that have been missed by the mainstream satirists on TV."

One seg discusses the timeless popularity on campus of T-shirts bearing the iconic image of Che Guevara. "We spin it into a campus T-shirt salesman who also sells T-shirts of Mao and Hitler," said co-producer Manny Coto.

FNC will promote the show over the next few weeks and see what kind of ratings it produces in a typically sleepy timeslot for cable news. Ratings will determine whether the show is picked up.

Surnow, a personal friend of Rush Limbaugh, said he hopes to get some promotion for the skein on conservative talkradio over the next few weeks.

Surnow initially pitched the concept as a latenight skein for the Fox television network, which passed. He took it to FNC topper Roger Ailes, who liked the idea and committed late last year to a trial on Fox News Channel.

"You can turn on any show and see Bush being bashed," Surnow said. "There really is nothing out there for those who want satire that tilts right."
There's a clip from it on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjIfaMwIFxU
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Satire that tilts right? Hmmm...watch out all you right windmills! *wink*

If I had TV, I might check this out. I loved the "Weekend Update" on SNL back when I watched the show with Dan.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Re: New Comedy Show

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote: The Daily Show is indeed hilarious, but the endless leftist spin gets tiresome.
But can you imagine a show that is 'hilarious' with a righty spin? That would be the epitome of refractory :-D

Was anyone else fortunate enough to see the Colbert Report when he had Bill O'Reilly on? Oh my gah!
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

That clip is... I dunno. It needs some refining. The material is good, but the laugh track is annoying. There's all these comments on youtube calling it racist. I really didn't see them say anything negative about Obama, did I? I saw them poking fun at the adoration and media love-fest that surrounds him at the moment.

It was funny, but it'll need work if the public is going to embrace it. Of course, new shows are always like that. The fisrt episode of the Daily Show needed work too.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote: The Daily Show is indeed hilarious, but the endless leftist spin gets tiresome.
But can you imagine a show that is 'hilarious' with a righty spin? That would be the epitome of refractory :-D

Was anyone else fortunate enough to see the Colbert Report when he had Bill O'Reilly on? Oh my gah!
Pappa Bear!!! :-D :-D :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:

yep, the worm has turned though. It's the right's turn (at smear comedy) now. Just LISTEN for the whining.....OOOPS....wait...I hear some now. :P

It's who else - but the nation's premier liberal windbag....yep...Al Franken.

...Since Air America's going tits-up, he needs some understanding and consolation.

Too bad he won't find any on the right. All indications show that he should be the first 'victim' on the new show. :P

Fair's fair.

I'm SO stoked....and I'm an Independent. LOL
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

LOL! One more clip from it. Again, that stupid laugh track. But funny material, especially the vice-president's comment at the end.

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wmv/rushli ... s_hour.asx
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Wow...Limbaugh saying that Dean needs medical attention! Good irony.

And he says that "after two years of a Democratic congress the nations reputation is shattered." I thought righties didn't give a shit about that. My friends and contacts in Europe say that the U.S.'s rep can't get much worse than it is now. :-)

Genuine big laughs at the "VP's" comment in the end:

"If you don't, we'll invade your countries, kill your leaders and convert you to Christianity."

Truth is funnier than fiction :lol:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Aw, Europe has ALWAYS hated us. Until they need help, anyway. Nothing new there. :-)
schuette

Post by schuette »

we dont hate you...we just think your all a bunch of gung ho, arrogant (our country is the best and always will be) crazy people :razz:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Aw, Europe has ALWAYS hated us. Until they need help, anyway. Nothing new there. :-)
Ain't THAT the truth. :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yes....it is.
I don't think that it's actual fact that Europe has always hated us. Fear isn't actually hate, is it?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:we dont hate you...we just think your all a bunch of gung ho, arrogant (our country is the best and always will be) crazy people :razz:
Sounds like Hollywood has been in on this.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

no the Hollywood aspect is your all gorgeous slim people :razz:
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Probably hollywood, and the ease with which we can be convinced (lied to) that a country should be invaded and devastated. That scares the shit outta people. Look what happened with Shitler and Germany. They all thought they were the good guys too.