elections

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

elections

Post by schuette »

was gonna start gibbering but I dont know if the Americans know anything about it....not looked at it lately but it looks like Blair/Labour is on the way out
...and hopefully Scotland will have a referendum in 2010 to get independance...
ElfDude

Re: elections

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:was gonna start gibbering but I dont know if the Americans know anything about it....not looked at it lately but it looks like Blair/Labour is on the way out
Been watching the stories about Blair, but I hadn't heard about 2010...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

schuette wrote:was gonna start gibbering but I dont know if the Americans know anything about it....not looked at it lately but it looks like Blair/Labour is on the way out
Got my fingers crossed for ya Schu. :lol: :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

I don't see why not and could rant on about power and control but what good would that do? I'll ask the queen for you and see what I can do, after all she likes me. :-D
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Me wrote:
I don't see why not and could rant on about power and control but what good would that do? I'll ask the queen for you and see what I can do, after all she likes me. :-D
You know the Queen? Well... when you next see Ms. Latifah, tell her hi from ElfDude. :)

Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

LMAO!!!

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Me

Post by Me »

:razz: I will I will :razz:
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Man, look at that regal-sized crack pipe!

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Schu, I hope you get your wish!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Schu, I hope you get your wish!
What were we talkin' 'bout?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

FREEDOM!
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Hell yeah. I'll chug a glass for ya Schu. :-D
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

Following its successes in Scotland's parliamentary elections, the SNP is seeking to form a coalition administration.

The nationalists are in talks with the Scottish Green Party, but the Liberal Democrats are insisting the SNP must ditch its pledge to hold a referendum on independence if a formal coalition is to be agreed.

Lib Dem MSP Tavish Scott told BBC Scotland that if his party could not reach agreement with the SNP, it would return to opposition and not seek an alternative deal with Labour.

"The SNP have to decide whether they want independence and for the next four years to be dominated by independence," he said. "They have to ditch the referendum."

An SNP, Lib Dem and Green coalition would have a majority of one in the Holyrood parliament.

The Lib Dems have restated their opposition to a referendum on independence, but the SNP has opened talks with the Greens.

"We can confirm that senior members of the Scottish National Party have had a meeting with the Scottish Green Party this weekend," said a spokesman.

"The meeting was positive and constructive. The results of the election place the SNP as the largest party, and our aim is to establish a progressive coalition to take Scotland forward, recognising that the people of Scotland voted for a new government.

"The SNP share with the Scottish Greens the right of the people to determine their constitutional future in a referendum, we both oppose new nuclear power stations, and we have a commitment to reduce climate change pollution every year.

"There are therefore no obstacles to the SNP opening up formal negotiations with the Scottish Greens on political cooperation, and discussing our policy priorities to take Scotland forward."

And the Scottish Green Party said in a statement that the meeting was "positive and constructive".

"The results of the election place the SNP as the largest party, and they therefore have the right to attempt to form a stable government with a progressive agenda for Scotland," it said.

"The SNP shares our clear opposition to new nuclear power stations, and has confirmed its commitment to reduce climate change pollution every year, which was our top priority throughout the campaign.

"There are therefore no obstacles to the Scottish Greens opening up formal negotiations with the SNP on political cooperation in due course, and discussing our other priorities for action on the environment and social justice.

"Even though we have a reduced presence in the Parliament, the result has placed us in a position of some influence. We will act responsibly in this new political environment, and seek to reflect the will of the Scottish people."

Scottish Labour leader Jack McConnell, meanwhile, said he "stands ready" to form an administration if the SNP is unable to.

"They have a responsibility now to initiate discussions and see if they can form a government," he told BBC Radio Scotland's Sunday Live.

"But it's far too early to tell, in this 28-day period in which we have the opportunity to form a new government in the Scottish Parliament, if they will succeed in doing that.

"Therefore I'm happy first of all to continue in my formal duties behind the scenes as first minister, but I'm also happy to give them the space in which to do that."

SNP deputy leader Nicola Sturgeon said that "people want to see the result of the election honoured".

"People voted for change, they voted for a new government," she said. "We recognise we have to forge consensus and build partnerships with others in the interest of Scotland, and that's what we will do."

Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland, she declined to comment on reports that her party will offer the Liberal Democrats a commission to examine Scotland's constitutional future.

"We believe there should be a referendum with independence on the ballot paper, but beyond that we have said we will be as constructive as possible to try and put together a government in Scotland's best interests," Sturgeon said.