Rush review(s)

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

bassomusico

Rush review(s)

Post by bassomusico »

I found myself recently returning to Rush's music after having not heard really any of it for years. I figured I would write out my thoughts and post them - why not, right? It's not very musicological, doesn't follow any particular structure other than some random thoughts, ideas and experiences from every recording Rush ever released in the US. Here goes:

http://mrpcbass.wordpress.com/2007/05/3 ... revisited/

Rick
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

Hi Rick,

interesting thoughts on your blog. The new album is quite different at first ( obviously he says :-D ) but it grows on you at one helluva pace. Have a listen soon.
Note your jazz interest....presume that the work of Percy Jones is known to you ? I have been a fan of Brand X/Tunnels for some time as well as Rush.

I'm sure the rest of the forum will say hi to you soon.

Cheers for now, R :-)
bassomusico

Post by bassomusico »

Rocinante wrote:Hi Rick,

interesting thoughts on your blog. The new album is quite different at first ( obviously he says :-D ) but it grows on you at one helluva pace. Have a listen soon.
Note your jazz interest....presume that the work of Percy Jones is known to you ? I have been a fan of Brand X/Tunnels for some time as well as Rush.

Hey Racinante,
Thanks for reading. I know it's not always positive, but hopefully the fact that I have loved Rush off an on for 25 years (or so) somehow comes through. Brand X, well let me say that I'm the type of person who REALLY likes to do his homework on great music (and terrible music too), but I must confess that even though I have been saying "Note to self: check out Brand X" forever, I haven't made it there yet. But Percy is the stuff of legends.
Thanks,
Rick
bassomusico

Post by bassomusico »

Ooops, sorry, I meant "Rocinante".
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

bassomusico wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Hi Rick,

Hey Racinante,
Thanks for reading. I know it's not always positive, but hopefully the fact that I have loved Rush off an on for 25 years (or so) somehow comes through. Brand X, well let me say that I'm the type of person who REALLY likes to do his homework on great music (and terrible music too), but I must confess that even though I have been saying "Note to self: check out Brand X" forever, I haven't made it there yet. But Percy is the stuff of legends.
Thanks,
Rick
No probs basso.

Everyone's opinion is different, what is similar is that a lot of Rush fans out there have been into them for many years.

On Percy, I assume that you have only heard his Tunnel's work. I much prefer the earlier stuff with Brand X. It's more accessible to me. If you haven't heard him before I would recommend trying out Brand X first. :-)
schuette

Post by schuette »

first of all welcome basso........I'll need to call you something else..it's sounds too much like bassa which isnt complimentary here in Scotland ;)

I'm having computer problems so I cant read your blog but as soon as it's sorted I will...but you've came back to Rush so that's the main thing :-d
schuette

Post by schuette »

maybe though I should read your blog before I say you've came back to rush :lol:
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Hey there Bassomusico, how's it..........Welcome to By-Tor.
This space for rent
bassomusico

Post by bassomusico »

Thanks for the welcome, cats. Looking forward to checking out the nether-reaches of this forum. Seems like y'all have really, really listened to this music. Should be fun to nerd out on it.

Rick
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

bassomusico wrote:Thanks for the welcome, cats. Looking forward to checking out the nether-reaches of this forum. Seems like y'all have really, really listened to this music. Should be fun to nerd out on it.

Rick
Welcome! And "nerd out on it" is the perfect way to describe what we do best! :-D
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
bassomusico

Post by bassomusico »

PV wrote:
bassomusico wrote:Thanks for the welcome, cats. Looking forward to checking out the nether-reaches of this forum. Seems like y'all have really, really listened to this music. Should be fun to nerd out on it.

Rick
Welcome! And "nerd out on it" is the perfect way to describe what we do best! :-D
An even nicer welcome from someone who _clearly_ has good taste in baseball teams. Let's hope that this losing trend disappears very, very soon.

Rick
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Welcome aboard Bass.
Yeah the Sox rule, despite their current skein.
Read a little of your reviews, will read more later.