Read the sunspots

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Read the sunspots

Post by ElfDude »

And prepare for global cooling!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Post by schuette »

the only thing I know about sun spots is that usually go in an 11 year cycle...and help predict an auroa borealis...

well I think it's an 11 year cycle
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:the only thing I know about sun spots is that usually go in an 11 year cycle...and help predict an auroa borealis...

You're right, it is an 11-year cycle. But the author mentions other cycles as well:
Specifically, we find a very strong and consistent 11-year cycle throughout the whole record in the sediments and diatom remains. This correlates closely to the well-known 11-year "Schwabe" sunspot cycle, during which the output of the sun varies by about 0.1%. Sunspots, violent storms on the surface of the sun, have the effect of increasing solar output, so, by counting the spots visible on the surface of our star, we have an indirect measure of its varying brightness. Such records have been kept for many centuries and match very well with the changes in marine productivity we are observing.

In the sediment, diatom and fish-scale records, we also see longer period cycles, all correlating closely with other well-known regular solar variations. In particular, we see marine productivity cycles that match well with the sun's 75-90-year "Gleissberg Cycle," the 200-500-year "Suess Cycle" and the 1,100-1,500-year "Bond Cycle." The strength of these cycles is seen to vary over time, fading in and out over the millennia. The variation in the sun's brightness over these longer cycles may be many times greater in magnitude than that measured over the short Schwabe cycle and so are seen to impact marine productivity even more significantly.
His conclusion is interesting.
Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe solar cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth. Beginning to plan for adaptation to such a cool period, one which may continue well beyond one 11-year cycle, as did the Little Ice Age, should be a priority for governments. It is global cooling, not warming, that is the major climate threat to the world, especially Canada. As a country at the northern limit to agriculture in the world, it would take very little cooling to destroy much of our food crops, while a warming would only require that we adopt farming techniques practiced to the south of us.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:the only thing I know about sun spots is that usually go in an 11 year cycle...and help predict an auroa borealis...

Cicadas have such a cycle too!
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

You read the sunspots I'm not goin blind.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL
Onward and Upward!