Billions over Baghdad

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Billions over Baghdad

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I realize at this point that 9 billion dollars seems a paltry sum considering it costs 2 billion per week to sustain Bush's "war", but consider what that kind of money could do for the poor, sick and hopeless in our own country. If anyone calls me a bleeding heart liberal I'll give 'em a virtual punch in the kidneys and start spouting my thoughts on illegal immigration :-D

Billions over Baghdad

Between April 2003 and June 2004, $12 billion in U.S. currency?much of it belonging to the Iraqi people?was shipped from the Federal Reserve to Baghdad, where it was dispensed by the Coalition Provisional Authority. Some of the cash went to pay for projects and keep ministries afloat, but, incredibly, at least $9 billion has gone missing, unaccounted for, in a frenzy of mismanagement and greed. Following a trail that leads from a safe in one of Saddam's palaces to a house near San Diego, to a P.O. box in the Bahamas, the authors discover just how little anyone cared about how the money was handled.

Entire article:
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... ions200710
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Re: Billions over Baghdad

Post by awip2062 »

Big Blue Owl wrote: If anyone calls me a bleeding heart liberal I'll give 'em a virtual punch in the kidneys and start spouting my thoughts on illegal immigration :-D
Awww, you're just a softie and we all know it!
Big Blue Owl wrote:at least $9 billion has gone missing, unaccounted for, in a frenzy of mismanagement and greed. Following a trail that leads from a safe in one of Saddam's palaces to a house near San Diego, to a P.O. box in the Bahamas, the authors discover just how little anyone cared about how the money was handled.
*sigh*

Over and over again we are seeing this. From city governments to federal the misuse of our money is rampant. It is disgusting.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Look at the BIG picture on spending, and you'll have a epileptic fit.

9 Bil's LUNCH MONEY for Uncle Sugar.

Agreed, the money could have gone to help folks RIGHT HERE, but
what's done is done.

Don't forget to include all the (collective) 'pork' projects wasting
dollars too, like, funding to study the mating habits of the poison-dart
tree frog....it's not just the war Bro. :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

No, I wasn't implying it's only the war, but that's what this thread is about. Porky dems can be another, and so on....

What's done is done? This is where we differ most dramatically, bro. To me, that kind of thinking is the reason these sorts of things still occur.
I'd hate to get a look under the proverbial rug at this point.

We can only see the big picture by examining the snapshots one-by-one.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:No, I wasn't implying it's only the war, but that's what this thread is about. Porky dems can be another, and so on....

What's done is done? This is where we differ most dramatically, bro. To me, that kind of thinking is the reason these sorts of things still occur.
I'd hate to get a look under the proverbial rug at this point.

We can only see the big picture by examining the snapshots one-by-one.
True, but it's been known for, like, forever that nobody's mindin' the
store....

Slam Bill O'Reilly if you want too, but HE was the first one to beg the question:

WHO'S WATCHING THE MUH-NAAAY?

This was right after 9/11 too! You know...All that Red Cross money!

And after Katrina....Same story....

Haven't heard SQUAT about THOSE disbursements, have ya?

Nope.
Don't start none...won't be none.