Al Gore's Movie

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

zepboy wrote:The problem, is that Gore is raising a great deal more hysteria and hype than he is legitimate science.

Having a strong scientific background, I could go on with a bunch of smart sounding drivel to explain my point, but I can sum it up by simply stating that he should ged his facts straight before he states something as a fact.
Zep, I envy your science knowledge. I wish I could make sense of so many scientific issues and anomalies, but I have to rely on my limited, home-grown "wisdom" to drag me through.

As to Gore's hype; I liken it to a fire in a theater. If there is one, no matter how small in origin, I won't admonish the usher for yelling at the top of his lungs if it helps us hear over the din of the opera.
With all the immediate 'entertainment' that keeps our minds jellied (war, terrorism, Anna Nicole, illegal immigration, intolerance, American Idol, politics, etc.) a bit of hysteria and hype may be what snaps us out of it long enough to get our attention.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The question is....do we need to pay attention to it or is it really a non-issue that will be used (is being used) to remove your freedoms from you and turned into its own religion that we must all bow to or be damned?
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Oh my, you may not believe this!

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural
gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas.
In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the
average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for
electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university,
this house incorporates every "green" feature current home
construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4
bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system.
Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon
underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs
native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville,
Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and
filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford,
Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence
of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

Okay, so I ask ....Why oh WHY should I believe MR. Gore?

Does he really believe that we need to live "green" so we don't destroy ourselves? (His actions don't show it)
If he does believe it, why won't he live it?
Is he thinking he is "above" others and doesn't need to live in accordance to his preaching?
Does he want to destroy the planet?
Does he not believe what he is preaching and just want to gets headlines and make money off of people buying his indulgences?

Remember the adage "actions speak louder than words?" Mr. Gore's actions scream to me that there is no such thing as global warming caused by humans.
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Big Blue Owl wrote: Zep, I envy your science knowledge. I wish I could make sense of so many scientific issues and anomalies, but I have to rely on my limited, home-grown "wisdom" to drag me through.

As to Gore's hype; I liken it to a fire in a theater. If there is one, no matter how small in origin, I won't admonish the usher for yelling at the top of his lungs if it helps us hear over the din of the opera.
With all the immediate 'entertainment' that keeps our minds jellied (war, terrorism, Anna Nicole, illegal immigration, intolerance, American Idol, politics, etc.) a bit of hysteria and hype may be what snaps us out of it long enough to get our attention.

BBO (and anyone else, for that matter), I would like to appeal to your "home-grown 'wisdom'" (personally, I think that is some of the soundest wisdom in many cases).

In your comparison to an usher yelling fire in the theater in order to exceed the din of the opera to the global warming alarmists. I would like to point out that it is likely that a unattended flame could very well burn down the entire theater. This has been witnessed on more than one occasion. There has been no evidence, however, that a mild increase in global temperature can ruin our environment. This has never been witnessed. In fact, there is solid evidence that there is a cyclical pattern of global thermal variations.

In the realm of science, there is a thing called an unidentified variable. This is anything, yet unknown, that influences the outcome of an event. Since it is unknown, it cannot be known what influence it will have on the event. In the global warming debate, I can think of atleast 50 known variables that are still not definitely identified as contributors to global warming. They may actaully be inhibiting the warming for all we know. How many unknown factors are there? We don't know, as they are unknown.

What we are seeing here is a cycle that has been documented previously, and there has been no hysteria . . . that is, until the extreme left wingers have found that hysteria leads to political (and financial) gain.

Granted, there may be some minor occurances that may lead to an increase in temperature, and they may seem to be related. But one must always keep in mind the scientific axiom, "correlation does not constitute causation" This means that, just because some events may seem to be related, it doesn't necessarily mean that one causes the other. It's like seeing two people who resemble each other, yet that doesn't automatically mean they are related.

Before someone jumps on the global warming bandwagon, I think it would be wise to consider the facts for themselves and come to their own conclusions. I always warn folks to be careful what they accept as fact. A person rarely declares something fervently unless there is something in it for them. Just ask Al Gore.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:
The more I hear the man-made global warming thing described as a religion, the more sense that description makes to me. All the complaints I have about it sound so much like the complaints that so many have about my religion. The biggest one being that it is scientifically unverifiable.
I should re-phrase part of that. Man-made global warming may be scientifically verifiable. It just hasn't been yet.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

awip2062 wrote:Oh my, you may not believe this!

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.
T! It looks like Mr. Gore has allot of 'splainin' to do!
And Bush. Set up with all those green goodies. If that's all true, his percentage just went up in my opinion (poll) and I thought that completely impossible at this point.

Thanks for posting that :thumbup:
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You are welcome, BBO. I must say it sure makes me wonder.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

"As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several
years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly
contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval
However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when
meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the
atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the Past three decades. The trend
shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras area becoming increasingly
apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of
another ICE AGE.

Telletale signs are everywhere - from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack
ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature
like the armadillo from the Midwwest. Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has
dropped about 2.7 deg F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by
other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satelite weather
data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover
had suddenly incresed by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted every since. Areas
of Baffin island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in
summer; now they are covered year around."

If this sounds a little unusual, given the current GLOBAL WARMING craze - - that's only
because of date. These two paragraphs were printed in TIME magazine, June 24, 1974!
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

From an e-mail I received of a letter-to-the editor someone is sending to my local paper:

This is religion. A cult. It has all the trappings of a religious cult. A doomsday scenario. A savior. A road to salvation. High priests. Demands for followers and believers to change their lifestyle, and convert or suppress non believers, and absolution. ( You can get absolution by purchacing "carbon credits") Like all cult believers, when confronted by doubts and facts which discredit their belief, the true believers become hysterical and lash out in a hostile and quite personal way. Not surprisingly, the Guru who demands sacrifices from everyone else, lives in a mansion ( one of several he owns ) that consumes 20 times more energy than the average American household, and travels in private jets and caravans of SUV limosines.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Holy cow! This guy has compiled the ultimate list of things caused by global warming...

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?