Recipes

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Mermaid of the Lunar Sea

Post by Mermaid of the Lunar Sea »

Hubby and I did this for T-giving, since it was just the two of us. We've made it once since then. It is mouth-watering. I've been trying out a bunch of new recipes lately.

HAM STEAK WITH BROWN SUGAR AND LIME GLAZE

1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 7- to 8-ounce ham steak (about1/2 inch thick)

1 tablespoon butter

Whisk sugar and lime juice in small bowl to form paste; rub over both sides of ham steak. Place ham on plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours (paste may liquefy).

Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add ham to skillet with sugar paste still clinging and saut? until brown and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.

Makes 2 servings.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Party is in the works here with all these flavors of life oriental salad, tomatoe soup, chicken, Bastard pie, Steaks of glazed ham, lasagne ,chess sqaures, peanut butter fudge and by-tors mom bringing the cheese cake. :D :oops: I promiss not to make any fish chowda. I'll make my recipe for mouth watering venison with asparagus spears and roasted potatoes.
Blue cheese and walnut tartlet with Bosc pear relish set on in a swirled blueberry sauce.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Here is a recipe that two people have asked me for:

Sourdough Starter (creation and care)

1 pkg active dry yeast
2.5 cups warm water (110-115F)
2 c all-purpose flour
1 T sugar

Mix all together until smooth then put in a warm place to set for about a week to ten days. Stir three times a day. The warmer the room the sooner the starter will be fermented. A clear liquid (called the hooch) will form on top of the starter. Don't drink the hooch, but rather stir it back into the starter once a day every day after you ged the starter going, and before using the starter. If you are not going to use the starter for some time, put it in the fridge and it will keep there. After removing it from the fridge, you may want to add a little flour and water (twice as much water as flour) to ged it working again.

Sourdough Bread:
Measure 1 cup of room temp starter
Dissolve 1 pkg active dry yeast in 1.5 c warm water
Stir 2.5 c all-purpose flour, 2 T NaCl, 2 T sugar, and the starter together
Combine 2.5 c flour and 1/2 t baking soda; stir into sourdough mixture
Stir in as much of 1/2 to 1 c of flour as you can with a spoon
On a lightly floured surface knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff, smooth, elastic dough
Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turn once, cover and set in a warm place to rise (I usually set it near my woodstove) until double (about 1 to 1.5 hours)
Punch down, divide in half, cover, and let rest 10 minutes
Shape each half into a round or oblong and place on a greased cookie sheet
Make slashes (or whatever pattern you want) across the tops
Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 1 hour)
Bake in a 400F oven 35-40 minutes (oven time will vary)
The bread is done when you turn it upside down and hear a dull thud when you thump the bottom (sorta like when NPG or PV or I see a pic of NEP, but not as loud or sharp! :wink: )

Replenish your starter after using it with a 2:1 ratio of warm water and flour added to the leftover starter. Be sure to stir regularly!
Onward and Upward!
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Post by Zivo »

Thanks, love! Now I can get lost on the Appalachian Trail and not worry about foodage.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

awip2062 wrote:The bread is done when you turn it upside down and hear a dull thud when you thump the bottom (sorta like when NPG or PV or I see a pic of NEP, but not as loud or sharp! :wink: )
Thanks for the recipe, t! :D But I have to say, this is by far my favorite part! Can't wait to hear what I sound like when I "thud." :wink:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You are welcome. I just wanted to put it in terms that we all understand. :wink:
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Hey, t! I'm following you in the hopes you'll find H and tell her or you to post that awesome 'nanna/pudding/nilla wafers recipe! Brentyloverly! :D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I will pull her out of bed and demand she post it!

I miss Brenty! :cry:

I just told her she needed to post it, and she says she doesn't have it! *wails*

Must have her contact Brenty!
Onward and Upward!