Got Rice

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

We are all americans, as we live in the americas. This should not be mistaken with calling people of the USA americans in and of themselves as thats just pompous :P. You folks are yanks :P
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Tell that to Europeans, who call us Americans.
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I need a very large loud speaker.
Me

Post by Me »

Well' I am just Me and I like rice too.
Seeing we are on confessions... I have night time tourrette's
and wake up screaming and swearing occasionally.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Sir Myghin wrote:We are all americans, as we live in the americas. This should not be mistaken with calling people of the USA americans in and of themselves as thats just pompous :P. You folks are yanks :P
You don't hear that too often these days from a Canadian. Even Lisa Simpson put a Canadian maple leaf on her backpack when they went abroad to avoid attack :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Back on topic here...
Why grain prices are skyrocketing while food supplies are beginning to dwindle. From the New York Sun:
Gore Ducks, as a Backlash Builds Against Biofuels

By JOSH GERSTEIN, Staff Reporter of the Sun | April 25, 2008

The campaign against climate change could be set back by the global food crisis, as foreign populations turn against measures to use foodstuffs as substitutes for fossil fuels.

With prices for rice, wheat, and corn soaring, food-related unrest has broken out in places such as Haiti, Indonesia, and Afghanistan. Several countries have blocked the export of grain. There is even talk that governments could fall if they cannot bring food costs down.

One factor being blamed for the price hikes is the use of government subsidies to promote the use of corn for ethanol production. An estimated 30% of America?s corn crop now goes to fuel, not food.

?I don?t think anybody knows precisely how much ethanol contributes to the run-up in food prices, but the contribution is clearly substantial,? a professor of applied economics and law at the University of Minnesota, C. Ford Runge, said. A study by a Washington think tank, the International Food Policy Research Institute, indicated that between a quarter and a third of the recent hike in commodities prices is attributable to biofuels.

Last year, Mr. Runge and a colleague, Benjamin Senauer, wrote an article in Foreign Affairs, ?How Biofuels Could Starve the Poor.?
To combat the global warming hoax, we've started to burn our food instead of eat it. Can we please bring back common sense?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Heh. You are asking that question around here? :?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

yeah.. whatt choo talking bout Willis?? :-D
Happy 2015!