Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Restrospective 3

Post by awip2062 »

27 tracks to be released on 27 January!

Pre-order it for $23 at Amazon now.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Dude................no way?!?!?!?!
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I got to hear the remastered versions of "One Little Victory" and "Earthshine" the other night. Granted it was online, through computer speakers and not on a good stereo, but I wasn't impressed. :oops: I think my ears are so conditioned to the "noisy" versions that the remasters just sounded hollow and tinny. Geddy's voice sounded funky too... I'm sure with a few listens they will grow on me but my first impression was, "Give me the original version stat!"

I'm not trying to start the old debate all over again. I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has heard the remasters yet and if they meet your expectations.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

just out of curisoity, why would they remaster something produced in 2002? I can understand stuff from the 70's and 80's because the technology was not as good as it is now, but the sound quality of VT was pretty good IMHO. Is there a reason they release remastered songs other than sound quality?
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Soup4Rush wrote:just out of curisoity, why would they remaster something produced in 2002? I can understand stuff from the 70's and 80's because the technology was not as good as it is now, but the sound quality of VT was pretty good IMHO. Is there a reason they release remastered songs other than sound quality?

Because some people and dogs can hear the sound compression and noise in the VT recordings. There has been an online funk over it since it came out. I guess you need an uber system to hear it also.

It don't bother me too much as I barely like that CD anyhoo, but it is almost painful to others. :roll:

It is better than feedback, and that one is hella noisy too. :-)
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

The production of Vapor Trails has been highly criticized due to the album's 'loud' sound quality. Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the Loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

As explained by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly-compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering, though Rush have admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly-compressing the audio during mastering. However, on Retrospective 3, Richard Chycki, who recently worked with them on the R30 and both the Snakes & Arrows album and live sets, remixed "One Little Victory", and "Earthshine". Also, in a recent Modern Guitars interview, Alex Lifeson remarked that since the remixes were so good, there has been talk of doing an entire remix of the album.

Loudness War - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Alex admits to the crap recording - http://www.2112.net/rushablekingdom/new ... 07_02.html
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball

^^^

Yeah see...................what he said.............. they said.............like I said.....they..............said. :?

:D YEP. :razz:
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Right! Like Hairy said, man!!! :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:The production of Vapor Trails has been highly criticized due to the album's 'loud' sound quality. Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the Loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

As explained by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly-compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering, though Rush have admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly-compressing the audio during mastering. However, on Retrospective 3, Richard Chycki, who recently worked with them on the R30 and both the Snakes & Arrows album and live sets, remixed "One Little Victory", and "Earthshine". Also, in a recent Modern Guitars interview, Alex Lifeson remarked that since the remixes were so good, there has been talk of doing an entire remix of the album.

Loudness War - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Alex admits to the crap recording - http://www.2112.net/rushablekingdom/new ... 07_02.html
Clipping? :? Why didn't they catch that back when they were originally mastering it?
Walkinghairball

Clipping? :? Why didn't they catch that back when they were originally mastering it?

Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the Loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

Other than that............denial or $$$$$ prolly.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:-(
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

So I take it no one else has heard the remixed songs? :wink:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Walkinghairball

I haven't.
This space for rent
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

I heard the remixed songs with PV the other night. You can really tell the difference when you hear them....much clearer which for me I really enjoyed.