There and back again

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

There and back again

Post by Ogg »

Despite our desperate musical meanderings, our rythmic daliances with diverse others we infinitely return home to the vast bosom of the Rush back catalogue.
Just what exactly is the appeal? Can you name one other band that has ensnared our ears, hearts and minds in such a fashion? Two decades and counting yet the allure is ever present.
After a brief sojourn with the likes of Radiohead, Marillion and U2's g hits I all too soon yearn for my suckle at the Rush teat :wink:
My newest cd compilation includes Natural Science (from RiR), various live bootlegs with a sprinkling of Victor Mfh and Asohands. Hmmmm.

ps: any suggestions that I have a week of annual leave and too much time on my hands...is surely correct
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

OH, Ogg! I don't think that your postings show too much time on your hands (besides, that is a Styx song, not a Rush song).

As far as what it is about Rush that keeps drawing us back? I dunno. They just have something that grabs us by our hearts and won't let us go. I must admit there is one other band who refuses to let me go like that, and neither they nor Rush will ever not be a part of me.

BTW...as a mother, I love the imagery of suckling at the teat of Rush. Good one!
Onward and Upward!
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

You should play your drums more! I listened to Victor for a bit last night, I only listened to Promise, Shut Up Shuttin' Up and Victor but they were all good ;)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Clear your mind of those things gone by
You can't change the past, why even try
Look ahead to those better days
Make the effort, it always pays
We can build upon all we've learned
We can start today
My fav' from the album.

ps: Lifesonite, prog rock eh? Whats your preference: Fish or Steve Hogarth era Marillion?
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

What draws me back is simply: quality.

RUSH never puts out crap. They never cheat. They never cut corners.

While bands like The Who are wheeling themselves out for yet their 5th "Farewell Tour" without any new material, RUSH puts out Vapor Trails, one of the most vibrant, alive discs of that year.

While some bands "treat" their fans to a 2 hour show, RUSH is just getting warmed up by that time.

They are talented, intelligent, and they treat their fans with respect.

JMHO
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

styz pffft who need styx
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Post by Zivo »

Ogg wrote:
Whats your preference: Fish or Steve Hogarth era Marillion?
I know this question was for someone else, but I gotta say

FISH!!!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Whilst I admit that Fish's unique style defined Marillion in the 80's :!: , I do prefer the latter-day albums with the majestic Steve Hogarth on vocals. My favourite Fish era album being 'Clutching at Straws' with SHogarths debut on 'Seasons End' remaining a fav' to this very day.
I recently found a single disc promo of the forthcoming double disc 'Marbles' album, very 'Floyd and a return to form methinks. What's your favourite Zevo?
Zivo

Post by Zivo »

Although I really get into the more polished, mature Mar, I definitely am bent toward the older stuff with Fish. I really love the Gabrielesqueness of "Script." Childhood" is very moody and absorbing too, but I have this live picturedisc...Forgotten Sons on there is so F'ing great! And what about "All The Best Freaks Are Here"?
Now I'm screwed 'cause I'm at work and can't get to my LP collection! :D

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

And what about "All The Best Freaks Are Here"?
I had 'Freaks' on a picture disc single waay back. I can remember singing it during my time at a factory full of idiots, only a mate understood my meaning. Memories...
Misplaced' I've tended to avoid. This was the commercial side of Marillion that dominated our English chart for a while, middle aged people buying 'Kayleigh' in thier droves...I'm trying to find my Fugazi album, Script' on vinyl is unplayable :cry:
Zivo

Post by Zivo »

Yes, Kayleigh is suck-ass and the pop-shittiness was also spread across the states. Still, this was their first exposure here, so I guess it was a necessary horrobility :wink:
Yeah, Fugazi :D ...see, I'm home now, and I have an evil grin, 'cause I can crank out all those old goodies.

Thanks for reminding me how much I ged into Marillion. Maybe now I can even get into the newer Hogarth tunes.

I'm like, all open minded and stuff? :lol: