By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There and back again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: There and back again Reply with quote

Despite our desperate musical meanderings, our rythmic daliances with diverse others we infinitely return home to the vast bosom of the Rush back catalogue.
Just what exactly is the appeal? Can you name one other band that has ensnared our ears, hearts and minds in such a fashion? Two decades and counting yet the allure is ever present.
After a brief sojourn with the likes of Radiohead, Marillion and U2's g hits I all too soon yearn for my suckle at the Rush teat Wink
My newest cd compilation includes Natural Science (from RiR), various live bootlegs with a sprinkling of Victor Mfh and Asohands. Hmmmm.

ps: any suggestions that I have a week of annual leave and too much time on my hands...is surely correct

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, Ogg! I don't think that your postings show too much time on your hands (besides, that is a Styx song, not a Rush song).

As far as what it is about Rush that keeps drawing us back? I dunno. They just have something that grabs us by our hearts and won't let us go. I must admit there is one other band who refuses to let me go like that, and neither they nor Rush will ever not be a part of me.

BTW...as a mother, I love the imagery of suckling at the teat of Rush. Good one!
*Lifesonite

Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should play your drums more! I listened to Victor for a bit last night, I only listened to Promise, Shut Up Shuttin' Up and Victor but they were all good Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ogg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clear your mind of those things gone by
You can't change the past, why even try
Look ahead to those better days
Make the effort, it always pays
We can build upon all we've learned
We can start today

My fav' from the album.

ps: Lifesonite, prog rock eh? Whats your preference: Fish or Steve Hogarth era Marillion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What draws me back is simply: quality.

RUSH never puts out crap. They never cheat. They never cut corners.

While bands like The Who are wheeling themselves out for yet their 5th "Farewell Tour" without any new material, RUSH puts out Vapor Trails, one of the most vibrant, alive discs of that year.

While some bands "treat" their fans to a 2 hour show, RUSH is just getting warmed up by that time.

They are talented, intelligent, and they treat their fans with respect.

JMHO
Sir Myghin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

styz pffft who need styx
Zivo

Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogg wrote:

Quote:
Whats your preference: Fish or Steve Hogarth era Marillion?

I know this question was for someone else, but I gotta say

FISH!!!
Ogg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I admit that Fish's unique style defined Marillion in the 80's Exclamation , I do prefer the latter-day albums with the majestic Steve Hogarth on vocals. My favourite Fish era album being 'Clutching at Straws' with SHogarths debut on 'Seasons End' remaining a fav' to this very day.
I recently found a single disc promo of the forthcoming double disc 'Marbles' album, very 'Floyd and a return to form methinks. What's your favourite Zevo?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I really get into the more polished, mature Mar, I definitely am bent toward the older stuff with Fish. I really love the Gabrielesqueness of "Script." Childhood" is very moody and absorbing too, but I have this live picturedisc...Forgotten Sons on there is so F'ing great! And what about "All The Best Freaks Are Here"?
Now I'm screwed 'cause I'm at work and can't get to my LP collection! Very Happy

Ogg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what about "All The Best Freaks Are Here"?

I had 'Freaks' on a picture disc single waay back. I can remember singing it during my time at a factory full of idiots, only a mate understood my meaning. Memories...
Misplaced' I've tended to avoid. This was the commercial side of Marillion that dominated our English chart for a while, middle aged people buying 'Kayleigh' in thier droves...I'm trying to find my Fugazi album, Script' on vinyl is unplayable Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kayleigh is suck-ass and the pop-shittiness was also spread across the states. Still, this was their first exposure here, so I guess it was a necessary horrobility Wink
Yeah, Fugazi Very Happy ...see, I'm home now, and I have an evil grin, 'cause I can crank out all those old goodies.

Thanks for reminding me how much I ged into Marillion. Maybe now I can even get into the newer Hogarth tunes.

I'm like, all open minded and stuff? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Rush Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: