November 22nd

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

neilpeart_gal

November 22nd

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Hi all. Please indulge me for a few moments.

November 22nd is always a very tough day for me. Despite not being born until well after 11/22/63, I find I have some strange connection and/or empathy for President Kennedy. One year, I started reading books about him by his closest staff members. Soon after, I felt overwhelmingly glad that my family had planned a trip to D.C. so I could visit his grave in Arlington.

When we got to the gravesite, I was overwhelmed and became very upset. All my mom could do was console me. I can't really explain why, but it was just something that came from deep down. I slept that night very fitfully, until about 3 am when I woke up and remembered the dream I had just had. In it, I was able to run right up to President Kennedy. The only other thing I remember about it was that he smiled at me, and when I woke up, I was no longer upset but very calm.

When my aunt and uncle died less than a year later, I found a similar dream gave me similar comfort.

I don't pretend to understand what all of this means, all I can tell you is that I am very sad on Nov. 22nd every year. I used to rarely come out of the bedroom. Now I am able to 'function normally', but I find the most peace comes when I can share my thoughts like I am now.

The first ornament I will hang on my (first ever) Christmas tree this year is one my friend brought me from Boston that has JFK on it. Its my small way of acknowledging something even I don't quite understand.

Conspiracy or no, this day is the day he made the night sky a little brighter and earth a little dimmer.

Thanks for letting me ramble. :)
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

*HUGS* NPG from me.

This day is very sad indeed. Unfortunately for the past two weeks I have been inundated with "specials" and "insights" and "documentaries" and "in-depth stories" of all this that I have become somewhat overwhelmed and "turned off" of it a while ago.

DAMN! Let the man rest in peace for such a violent death and such a horrific chapter in our country. I have to hold a tiny, private candle in my heart for I know what it means and Oliver Stone AIN'T a part of what this historic and tragic event means in my or my family's life.

My tiny candle holds enough glow for you my sweet (if you'll have it) but I cannot subject myself further to the "media gluttony," each crawling over eachother to capitalize on the "ultimate Kennedy moment" as it unfolded before the world's horrified eyes.

RIP, Jack Kennedy. The eternal flame goes on no matter what the scavengers do over your memory.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
schuette

Post by schuette »

I imagine over there is a big thing....it's not over here..
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Thanks for your kind words, Kares. I knew I could count on you! :)

I totally feel the same way about the coverage. I am choosing to watch programs that focus on what he did (like the great one on the History Channel, JFK Revealed) rather than on how he died.

It was the loss of this nation's innocence...40 years ago today. I guess, Schu, that's the only way we can explain it to you.

Its the day that we started feeling that we were truly vulnerable. Everything changed that day. The press started covering the Presidency differently, when conspiracy theories came out, everyone started mistrusting our government...add to that Nixon and the Vietnam War? It was the beginning of the end really for citizen's bad attitudes about their government.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

"Vulnerability" Yes, that is the word. After that bloodbath of media that all bets were off no matter WHAT happened and the "character" of the presidency changed even though the logistics didn't.

Too bad, oh well. Not that I preferred living in "fantasyland" as far as our beloved presidents go (bad stuff the "stuffed" stuff) but the free-for-all in the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties and millenium that could ALMOST rival the British press (sorry Ogg) made me scared as the ones to lead the country all of a sudden had no protection from ANY part of their lives and the crapola that they designed to be "acceptable" to the "puritanical" Americans (haw haw what a laugh riot) must be excruciating, if not laughable.

I never want to be "known" FOR ANYTHING If I do it, it has to be done in private because I can't stand people comparing my underwear size from Britney Spears even if I DID avert the Third World War or find a cure for breast cancer.

Pant pant pant. Whew!@ Never knew I had that bullshite in me. Honestly. Please forgive.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
afterimage

Post by afterimage »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts NPG and K4R it is sad that the commemoration turns into an opportunity for the media to overwhelm us trying to dig up any new tid bits of information that can be sensationalized. Surprise surprise Jackie O became depressed and contimplated suicide. For goodness sakes look at what she had experienced can't we respect the privacy of the families thoughts during that time without broadcasting every reaction or emotion they may have felt.
I found it hard to watch many of the specials and story's and just remembered the event's and the changes that followed in my own way.
"Swept away like voices in a hurricane, In a vapor trail"