Hold Your Fire

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Hold Your Fire

Post by Sir Myghin »

Hold your Fire in my opinion is Rush's Best Album.

It was the first i took far enough to lkearn the entire album on my bass.

Song such as prime mover, Tai Shan, Time Stand Still, Force Ten, and Turn the Page. How can this album be overlooked by so many Rushians, especially with a list of songs as great as they are.
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

It is not overlooked, by no Rushian.

I like this album (but which of them do I not :wink: ).
I think "Hold your Fire" was the summit of their style in the 80ies.
With Presto they changed it a bit.

"Hold your Fire" surely is one of their most melodic, not heavy sounding
albums. In the 80ies they experimented much with integrated keyboard-sounds in their songs. That's fantastic, but not always everyone's taste.

But no Rushian, even the ones who like the heavier albums, would overlook "Hold your Fire". It sound to awesome therefor (and a real Rushian doesn't overlook any work of them!).
FerrariF1

Post by FerrariF1 »

Last edited by FerrariF1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

I've spoken with several Rush fans who dislike the album's heavy use keyboards. They claim that Alex takes a back seat on the album. I don't particularly agree with that assessment. I would say Alex takes a different approach on the album, a more atmospheric approach, one that strives for a different relationship to the other instruments. As a drummer, I find Neil's playing astounding on that album, especially in "Lock and Key," one of my all-time favorite songs by the boys.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

aye there is definately less guitar focus, yet the 2 or 3 solos short but still great.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

This is one of my favorite albums and it's my husband's definite favorite. It is the one he always requests when I feel like cranking Rush throughout the house. :D

"Time Stand Still" is our song as it was released to radio on the day we went on our first date. We were sitting on I95 headed to Boston the first time we heard it. "Second Nature" never fails to give me goose bumps and "Mission" is just inspiring. One can never go wrong with this album!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I love Hold Your Fire, probably my favorite 80's Rush album (besides Signals, of course.) Time Stand Still and Lock And Key are two of my favorite songs.

About the heavy keys, i dont really have a problem with it. I mean i prefer the older, instrument-heavy sound of Rush to the synth heavy 80's and beyond sound, but Rush pull both sounds off very well. In my opinion, that's one of their greatest appeals.
FerrariF1

Post by FerrariF1 »

Last edited by FerrariF1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afterimage

Post by afterimage »

HYF is one of those interesting Rush albums that I don't immediately think of as a favorite but each time I listen to it I am left thinking why not?
Time Stand Still, Turn The Page, Prime Mover and Second Nature are my favorites.
"Swept away like voices in a hurricane, In a vapor trail"
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

*Stalking me maity AI*
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I was talking to a couple of fellow Rush fans a few months ago and we all agreed that HYF is the most accessible album for a first time listener. While it may not be the best for individual songs and moments, I think it is their most rounded and accomplished release. All their disirate influences and styles gel together into a cohesice audio feast.

You got to love it.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I meant cohesive of course.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I remember playing it to death upon release but rarely do these days. I just think it's a little too 'nice' if you get what I mean. I still say that TSStill should've been a massive single though...and I thoroughly enjoyed attempting to learn the songs intricate drum work, especially the chorus.
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Funny, Time Stand Still is the one track I almost always skip. :?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

the bass is just amazing for that song i love it too, i prefer force ten, prime mover, turn the page and lock and key though