By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rush Fan... Need Advice!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuette

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you realise evil that by the time everyone has put their penny's worth in every album is gonna be mentioned Wink

Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schuette wrote:
you realise evil that by the time everyone has put their penny's worth in every album is gonna be mentioned Wink

OK, I've got an idea. Buy the bloody lot. Twisted Evil
awip2062

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the By-Torians are taking real good care of you EvilCheeseWedgie. Personally, I agree with gedding all the lps, but esp A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, and Caress of Steel, considering your tastes.

Did you ged the G400 cuz of Tony?
KaelMwithascrubbrush

Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to chip in a recommendation for Signals and Test for Echo. Sig is a great turning point album for the band ("New World Man" is off the album)...has some great riffs, solid drumming and bass playing...although there are some complaints about Alex's playing on it. I think Signals marks the beginning of Alex taking a different approach to his instrument, a more atmospheric approach. Somepeople like it, others don't (Alex's admiration for Andy Summers of The Police really shows up in several songs). Personally, I think "Digital Man" is just about the most unique rock song I've ever heard--great off the wall lyrics, interesting arrangement, and fabulous playing (Neil really hits on this one!). Test for Echo is a gem! Neil calls it his masterpiece, and I think he's onto something...very subtle playing and an interesting new approach to his instrument (the album was made after he did a tribute to the odds on favorite for greatest drummer ever, Buddy Rich, and after Peart took up lessons again with jazz great Freddy Grubber). My favorite tracks off the album are "Half the World," "Totem," and "Limbo"...a great instrumental...that really let's Mr. Peart shine.

...Oh and I can't forget a pitch for Permanent Waves. Some knockout playing on it ("Spirit of Radio" comes off this album). "Entre Nous" is one of my favorite songs from the boys, along with "Natural Science."

Welcome to the bedlam. Wink
*Lifesonite

Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this will sum up ALL of them for you... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4014602331&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

A collection of 16 Rush CDs Razz Since we cannot decide on one or two to suggest you must buy them all. That poor fellow must be in dire straits to sell his Rush collection!! Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Myghin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats missing power windows though, power windows is vital
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, it pretty comprehensive. Why no live albums though?
*Lifesonite

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, it's not my auction, lets all e-mail them and ask! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EndlesslyRocking

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaine mac Roth wrote:
Still, it pretty comprehensive. Why no live albums though?

Good point.

Let me make a brief pitch for my favorite live work: Different Stages.

All of the live stuff has merit, but I thought DS really captured the feel and energy of the band quite well. RUSH in Rio is pretty good too (if you have a DVD player, that's a good place to start), but I like the setlist from DS better.

Regardless, you should pick up something to represent the concert part of RUSH fandom.
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for ESL though - I think that is the worst thing Rush have released. I mean, a live album where the tracks are faded in and out.
*Lifesonite

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL was the first one I got! Shocked
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's got to start somewhere
*Lifesonite

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right though, I don't listen to it anymore. Wink
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean - I can't remember the last time I listened to it either. If I listen to live albums, its either Rio, Stages or one of my boots.
EndlesslyRocking

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaine mac Roth wrote:
I wouldn't go for ESL though - I think that is the worst thing Rush have released. I mean, a live album where the tracks are faded in and out.

Flat and uninspired, for the most part. Poorly mixed and/or produced originally (although the remaster is better).

I think ESL gives the wrong impression of RUSH as distant, uninvolved types. That's not at all what a RUSH concert is like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Studio All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: