New Rush Fan... Need Advice!

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

you realise evil that by the time everyone has put their penny's worth in every album is gonna be mentioned :wink:
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

schuette wrote:you realise evil that by the time everyone has put their penny's worth in every album is gonna be mentioned :wink:
OK, I've got an idea. Buy the bloody lot. :twisted:
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I see that the By-Torians are taking real good care of you EvilCheeseWedgie. Personally, I agree with gedding all the lps, but esp A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, and Caress of Steel, considering your tastes.

Did you ged the G400 cuz of Tony?
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

I'm going to chip in a recommendation for Signals and Test for Echo. Sig is a great turning point album for the band ("New World Man" is off the album)...has some great riffs, solid drumming and bass playing...although there are some complaints about Alex's playing on it. I think Signals marks the beginning of Alex taking a different approach to his instrument, a more atmospheric approach. Somepeople like it, others don't (Alex's admiration for Andy Summers of The Police really shows up in several songs). Personally, I think "Digital Man" is just about the most unique rock song I've ever heard--great off the wall lyrics, interesting arrangement, and fabulous playing (Neil really hits on this one!). Test for Echo is a gem! Neil calls it his masterpiece, and I think he's onto something...very subtle playing and an interesting new approach to his instrument (the album was made after he did a tribute to the odds on favorite for greatest drummer ever, Buddy Rich, and after Peart took up lessons again with jazz great Freddy Grubber). My favorite tracks off the album are "Half the World," "Totem," and "Limbo"...a great instrumental...that really let's Mr. Peart shine.

...Oh and I can't forget a pitch for Permanent Waves. Some knockout playing on it ("Spirit of Radio" comes off this album). "Entre Nous" is one of my favorite songs from the boys, along with "Natural Science."

Welcome to the bedlam. :wink:
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Well, this will sum up ALL of them for you... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

A collection of 16 Rush CDs :P Since we cannot decide on one or two to suggest you must buy them all. That poor fellow must be in dire straits to sell his Rush collection!! :x
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

thats missing power windows though, power windows is vital
Slaine mac Roth

Still, it pretty comprehensive. Why no live albums though?
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

I dunno, it's not my auction, lets all e-mail them and ask! :twisted:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:Still, it pretty comprehensive. Why no live albums though?
Good point.

Let me make a brief pitch for my favorite live work: Different Stages.

All of the live stuff has merit, but I thought DS really captured the feel and energy of the band quite well. RUSH in Rio is pretty good too (if you have a DVD player, that's a good place to start), but I like the setlist from DS better.

Regardless, you should pick up something to represent the concert part of RUSH fandom.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Slaine mac Roth

I wouldn't go for ESL though - I think that is the worst thing Rush have released. I mean, a live album where the tracks are faded in and out.
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

ESL was the first one I got! :shock:
-- IFALT
Slaine mac Roth

Everyone's got to start somewhere
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

You're right though, I don't listen to it anymore. :wink:
-- IFALT
Slaine mac Roth

Know what you mean - I can't remember the last time I listened to it either. If I listen to live albums, its either Rio, Stages or one of my boots.
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:I wouldn't go for ESL though - I think that is the worst thing Rush have released. I mean, a live album where the tracks are faded in and out.
Flat and uninspired, for the most part. Poorly mixed and/or produced originally (although the remaster is better).

I think ESL gives the wrong impression of RUSH as distant, uninvolved types. That's not at all what a RUSH concert is like.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...