Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Geddy is a good friend.
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Well said, t, well said. 8) May we all be so lucky as to have friends like that in a time of need.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

What great things said in this thread. I agree, I agree. I appauld you all.

One thing about VT that continues to baffle me is that after 2 years I still here different things AND the sound seems to somehow "morph" at times.

I know I'm a rational listener, but at times I wonder! It's as if I tune in and out of various layers for some reason. Different parts jump in and out at different times. Unpredictably. No other album of theirs gives me this extreme variation.

That speaks to the loose feel as some said. It also leaves me wondering if the recording is in fact poorly mastered as so many say. Perhaps, like the relief of a painting reflecting light in infinite variation, VT has many sides.

I really believe that VT is one for the fans as much as it is Neil's salvation or more appropriately, victory. They all put a tremendous amount into it.

VT is masterpiece. Powerful and triumphant. It also promises even greater things. I strongly believe that.
Living One Long Sunrise
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I must admit that I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting to grips with Vapor Trails, still. Its not something I can easily put my finger on but I know a lot has to do with the production which seems lacking in some undefinable way.

For me the high point has got to be Ghost Rider which sends shivers down my spine.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

I absolutely love VT, and have since the first time I listened to it.

I particularly like Ceiling Unlimited, Earthshine, and Peaceable Kingdom. There's not a clunker on there, from my point of view.

It's great to see (hear) them so vibrant and powerful. It's just a wonderful recording. I can't gush enough.

JMHO
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

This album could have been better IMO if they had done a couple of things...

1. Hire a decent producer... The sound is terrible, end of story.

2. Get rid of about four or five "filler" songs. The album is too long, and I would rather have 45-50 mins of quality than unneccesary padding

3. Invent a time machine, and go back to just before they wrote Freeze, and persuade them that its a reallt bad idea...
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Hey Fridge...

I think you've been in there too long and your brain has frozen.

I agree the sound isn't prestine and we have heard better - no doubt.

But to say go back in time and stop "Freeze" from becoming reality would require a very stiff backhand from me before you pulled the switch on that time machine.

That song took me back to the glory days of MP. I love the "get busy" feel of the opening. To me "Freeze" was the high point on VT.

Bill goes to corner and picks up Fridge and apologises.

Fridge: "Where's my time machine".
Bill: "I put it out with the trash - if you hurry you can still catch the truck before they crush it - CRUSH!!! - sorry, too late".
Living One Long Sunrise
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

To say my brain has frozen was unescessary and a touch abusive...

As for a stiff backhand,that might be a little difficult, as I am 6'4" and weigh 250lbs! :D So I think it would be ME providing assisstance to you in the aforementioned corner....

We will just have to agree to disagree about Freeze I think, after all one mans meat is anothers poison etc...It would be a very boring world indeed if we all thought the same
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Well, to be honest with you, it sounds like you're insulting Rush at times, which is not what a fan forum is for :P

Or are you just trying to be funny? :twisted:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

*Lifesonite wrote:Well, to be honest with you, it sounds like you're insulting Rush at times, which is not what a fan forum is for :P

Or are you just trying to be funny? :twisted:
Insulting them?

I have been a fan for twenty three years, and they are my favourite band by a country mile...

However, much as I love them, they do write the occassional song which I consider to be a clunker (it's just my opinion remember, you don't have to agree)

Also. a fan forum is NOT about slavish devotion, but honest and forthright discussion about ALL aspects , both positive and negative about the band. It would be stultifyingly boring if all we did was to have a continual appreciation society
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

well i'lla rgue you with you, just because i like controversy, and although the production on vapour isn't crystal , it has amazing riff,s and many basslines which elude my intuition and i cannot pick out ( probly because of the basd mixing ) but they are stillgr eat bass lines, it is some of the best vocals done in a while although, as for lyrics great as always.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I'm hardly slavishly devout and I don't expect others to be! But hey, you're the one that said half of the album shouldn't have been written :P
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Fridge wrote:a fan forum is NOT about slavish devotion, but honest and forthright discussion about ALL aspects , both positive and negative about the band. It would be stultifyingly boring if all we did was to have a continual appreciation society
I'll second the motion! Favorite band since 1981, but when I kneel down and pray, it's not to three talented Kanuks, eh. That being said, I think two songs I would like to have seen left off VT are "Stars Look Down" and "Out of the Cradle." These two songs don't really do anything for me.

On the other hand, I think "Freeze" is both fantastic and poignant, especially when one considers it in light of Neil's experiences. It seems to me a pretty vital song because it grew out of a new appreciation for that aspect of human existence that NEP gained on the road.... And wasn't that the original impetus behind the song cycle...to explore the aspects of fear? My favorite songs off VT are "Ghost Rider," "Peaceable Kingdom," and "Secret Touch."

A couple things I appreciate about the album as a whole are the ways Geddy, Alex, and Neil all integrated their new approaches to their instruments and to recording. Neil's new approach, of course, showed up in T4E, while both Geddy and Alex have talked about how their solo projects reshaped their approaches to music. I like how Ben Mink rubbed off on Geddy, both in terms of pursuing melody and layering, and I really like Alex's atmospheric approach to the guitar.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Whoa...hold on a second.

That was a joke Fridge. I did say I apologise in the thread. Easy big man. I didn't mean to be abusive. Just sparring a little. Sorry you took offense.

I completely agree with you that opinions need protection. Absolutely - but you knew that was coming I think. It's a Rush board and we are all very protective of the band. Surely you see my point.

I understand your clunker theory. Yes, songs like "Dog Years" and "Everyday Glory" don't light me up at times.

But "Freeze"? I guess we are all entitled. (Great post KaelM about the song incidentally).

Oh...and Fridge...my birthmother hails from your area (Crail) and I'm 6'3" 230 lbs. so it's not like I don't have the same piss and vinegar!!! At least it might take you two shots! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Living One Long Sunrise
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Mr. Bill wrote:Whoa...hold on a second.

That was a joke Fridge. I did say I apologise in the thread. Easy big man. I didn't mean to be abusive. Just sparring a little. Sorry you took offense.

I didn't take offense at all mate... I was just having a laugh.

I can see I should have put a smilie after my statement, sorry about that.
I certainly did not take anything you said personally. i think thats the problem with the written medium of communication, so many conversational nuances get lost..

Anyway, you are too near the same size as me to risk a fight :D
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....