Seven and Seven Is

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

D'Anconia

Seven and Seven Is

Post by D'Anconia »

This is the one song off of Feedback that I haven't been able to track down the original. Plus, it wasn't included on the AOL CD preview of Feedback. Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm anxious to hear what this song sounds like.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
LerxstLady

Re: Seven and Seven Is

Post by LerxstLady »

D'Anconia wrote:This is the one song off of Feedback that I haven't been able to track down the original. Plus, it wasn't included on the AOL CD preview of Feedback. Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm anxious to hear what this song sounds like.
It's on there - its the one talking about how when he was a boy he'd think about what he'd be like as a man, and has all the really screwy time changes in it. It's right between "Mr. Soul" and "Shapes of Things". Pretty interesting tune, really.

One thing I've noticed on repeated listenings that is REALLY cracking me up -- Alex took the name of the album WAAAAYY to seriously - especially at the end of the songs. I think it's 1 (Summertime Blues) and 8 (Crossroads) that actually *end* with a difinitive chord stroke, but every other track ends with Alex squeezing feedback out of the guitar for several seconds. One is like 10 to 12 seconds of it. It just starts getting funny after a bit. But I REALLY love the album. I think "For What It's Worth" and "Mr Soul" are my favourites so far, with Crossroads right on their tails... but I'm sure it'll chance with my mood as everything else does :)
Lerxst Online - an unofficial Alex Lifeson fan community
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Would you mind me asking you where you got your copy of Feedback from? I download all the time (mainly using the 'torrent' format) but cannot find it anywhere! Of course I'm going to buy it but any info would be appreciated. Thankyou,
Last edited by Ogg on Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

D'Anconia wrote:This is the one song off of Feedback that I haven't been able to track down the original. Plus, it wasn't included on the AOL CD preview of Feedback. Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm anxious to hear what this song sounds like.
Seven and Seven Is was originally released by a band called Love on their Da Capo album. It was also covered by Alice Cooper in the early 80s.

Its one I'm looking forward to as the original is great.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

LerxstLady wrote:
It's on there - its the one talking about how when he was a boy he'd think about what he'd be like as a man, and has all the really screwy time changes in it. It's right between "Mr. Soul" and "Shapes of Things". Pretty interesting tune, really.
quote]

Aha. Then the order of songs isn't the same as on the cover. I have heard that song before. Thanks for setting me straight!
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

Ogg wrote:Would you mind me asking you where you got your copy of Feedback from? I download all the time (mainly using the 'torrent' format) but cannot find it anywhere! Of course I'm going to buy it but any info would be appreciated. Thankyou, Ogg aka Darren, England.
America Online has it on via streaming audio.
Regards,
Bri

D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

LerxstLady wrote:

One thing I've noticed on repeated listenings that is REALLY cracking me up -- Alex took the name of the album WAAAAYY to seriously - especially at the end of the songs. I think it's 1 (Summertime Blues) and 8 (Crossroads) that actually *end* with a difinitive chord stroke, but every other track ends with Alex squeezing feedback out of the guitar for several seconds. One is like 10 to 12 seconds of it. It just starts getting funny after a bit. But I REALLY love the album. I think "For What It's Worth" and "Mr Soul" are my favourites so far, with Crossroads right on their tails... but I'm sure it'll chance with my mood as everything else does :)
Per your last point - You got that right, LerxstLady. I think they named the album after Alex's playing style on this one. You can think of a lot of appropriate meanings of "Feedback" regarding this album. Pretty cool. No surprise coming from Rush, however.
Regards,
Bri

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

LerxstLady wrote:One thing I've noticed on repeated listenings that is REALLY cracking me up -- Alex took the name of the album WAAAAYY to seriously - especially at the end of the songs. I think it's 1 (Summertime Blues) and 8 (Crossroads) that actually *end* with a difinitive chord stroke, but every other track ends with Alex squeezing feedback out of the guitar for several seconds. One is like 10 to 12 seconds of it. It just starts getting funny after a bit.
I can just imagine that's the way Alex would have been playing those songs 35 years ago sitting around with Ged and their buddies and just jamming to their favorite tunes.
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance.