All about Neil

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Monkey Wrench

PRESTO

Post by Monkey Wrench »

Damn, those drums sound good.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Ummm...drums? What drums? Oh! You mean those things Neil keeps playing around with? I almost forgot about them, seeing as how I just watch his eyes, yeah, that's it, I watch his eyes. *wink*

Gotta admit, monkey, those drums are smokin'!
Onward and Upward!
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

they are. that's one of the many reasons John Rutsey couldn't take the heat of COMPETITION!! lol

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
kazzman
Location: In a cellar thinking of ways to assasinate Gary Bettman

Post by kazzman »

happysmilies007 wrote:they are. that's one of the many reasons John Rutsey couldn't take the heat of COMPETITION!! lol

Well John does deserve more credit than he gets...

If he didn't leave, we wouldn't have the Rush we all know and love today.
Kazz
Monkey Wrench

Post by Monkey Wrench »

This topic didn't really go where I thought it would.Ok,let me be a little more specific.The sound of his drums on Presto were outstanding.Probably better than any other album (in my opinion) Now I also loved the sound on Power Windows. I was not happy with his drums on Vapor Trails.Their not as crisp or they don't have that attack.Is it just me or do others feel the same? Counterparts was also good I should ad.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Personally, I think my favourite drum sound is the one on Signals (same with Geddy's bass). Just a shame that Alex's guitar is MIA and two out of three is not only bad, but unforgivable.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Monkey Wrench

Post by Monkey Wrench »

His drums on Signals? They sound terrible! If anyone wants to know what muffled drums sound like than just listen to that album.As a matter afact I was listening to that cd in my truck the other day and thought to myself "what a tragedy this is" Imagine if his drums had the sound quality like the ones on Presto.And it's not just the drums that lack pureness, it's the audibility of the whole band! They should have beat the balls off that engineer. What was it, his first day on the job? I read somewhere that the the guys were very disatisfied with the sound of that album but then I think to myself, why did they release it? Man, that just bums me out. If it bothers me, I can't fathom what the band feels.Record the album again boys!

I like the Tull wordage there Slaine.What a magnificent band.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Monkey Wrench wrote:Counterparts was also good I should ad.
Pity the songs are rubbish though :-D
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Yeah, Counterparts is a stinky LP! :-D

NOOOOOT!!! :cool:

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Monkey Wrench

Post by Monkey Wrench »

Yeah,Counterparts was not a great cd that's for sure but it has a few good ones. Animate is pretty tough and Stick It Out isn't bad. Nobody's Hero is a good one also. I can hack Cold Fire once in awhile too. Oh well, every band is entitled to a turd or two.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Personally, I think Counterparts is great. Then again, it would be boring if we were all the same despite what school teachers and the media try to do to you
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
kazzman
Location: In a cellar thinking of ways to assasinate Gary Bettman

Post by kazzman »

Monkey Wrench wrote: Animate is pretty tough.

That was actually the easiest one on that album for me. Out of all their albums, I'd have to say that Counterparts is up there in my favorites. Same with Presto for that matter.
Kazz
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

All of their releases have something to offer :P
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

actually, i think the drums on Vapor Trails stand out the most. i know, i know, you think i'm crazy because they layered everything on so they're harder to hear, but personally i thought the sound of the skins on VT ranks up there with some of the best, including Presto.

ps -- kazz, you're right about John leaving, and i'm extremely glad he did, not only for the quality of the music but for the quality of the lyrics!!
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
Monkey Wrench

Post by Monkey Wrench »

carolynn ,you're nuts.