Very first Rush single

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Very first Rush single

Post by Ogg »

I've just found this, the very first single complete with the B side 'You cant fight it'. Details to follow. The info mentions the Cleveland show that I've already upped.

Rush

Not Fade Away / You Can't Fight It It (7", 1,000 copies, some stamped 'not for sale', ?/73)
Moon Records MN 001

The very first Rush single, recorded during the Spring of 1973, the 'a' side was a cover of the song
made famous by the Stones, but the 'b' side was an original Rush composition.
These tracks have never appeared on any other (legitimate) release and so this 7" counts as one of the most prized
possessions in any Rush fans' collection.
The single was not a great success, and is certainly not the finest Rush recording, but provides a good insight into
the formative stages of their career.

Live shows from this period often featured another cover, "Bad Boy" by Larry Williams.
Serious fans should try and track down a copy of a recently re-broadcast concert from the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland
from August 1974, which features this song plus two Rush-penned compositions, "Fancy Dancer" and "Garden Road"
which were never released on record.

This concert was broadcast by WMMS radio in Cleveland as part of a weekend promoting the new Geddy Lee solo album.
Back in 1974, WMMS was home to Donna Halper who was instrumental in introducing Rush to Mercury Records and breaking
them in the United States.

I'll pass it on if required.

Devil's Advocate

Re: Very first Rush single

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Ogg wrote:... the new Geddy Lee solo album.
What?!? :P :razz:
PV
Site Admin

Re: Very first Rush single

Post by PV »

Ogg wrote:This concert was broadcast by WMMS radio in Cleveland as part of a weekend promoting the new Geddy Lee solo album.
I second that! :shock: :-D
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Can you be so silly? Obviously it's an old piece of info, written around the time of MFH perhaps? chuckle chuckle...
No interest in the single then? :( .
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

I forgot I had this one. If ya want it, it's here....

http://www.by-tor.com/downloads/audio/f ... single.zip

Many thanks to Ogg for jogging an old man's memory. I have aquired quite a few live shows (mostly soundboard recording) over the past month or so, and once I encode them to mp3 (right now, they're Flac), I'll put them online for download too.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

by-tor wrote:Many thanks to Ogg for jogging an old man's memory.
:hippy2:

Peace, Old Man!
Onward and Upward!