Crowded House

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Fridge

Crowded House

Post by Fridge »

Just wondered if anyone else liked this utterly fabulous band.

Sadly , they have now split (geddit??? split? (enzz)...oh well!), but their collection of inspirational albums still has pride of plce in my collection alongside Rush.

Whilst not in precisely the same musical genre as Rush, they share a lot of similarities eg sterling musicianship, excellent vocals, and though provoking lyrics. As a bassisst I would advise any player to check out Nick Seymours bass lines, they are fantastic
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I must admit I am very surprised that no one else here seems to like this band.

Surely there must be someone who appreciates elegantly crafted songs, fine musicianship, fantastic vocals, and evocative lyrics?

Reminds me of another band........
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i'd not seen this post not been around much i'll check them out but i can be sure the baslines won't prove much challenge to me i'm afraid
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I think you are completely missing the point about what constitutes a good bassline mate....

It doesn't have to be difficult at all. It is how it fits and if possible enhances the song that counts. You will notice that when Geddy plays, it is always with a mind to how the song ebbs and flows, and that he very rarely indulges in superflous notes. This is largely due to the fact that Rush are a three piece and therefore have to make maximum use of every instrument. This is one of the reasons his basslines became a bit simpler and more rhythmically orientated with the advent of keyboards.

I myself have played bass for over 18 years, and could probably play pretty much anything I wanted to with enough practice, but "less is more" is definitely the name of the game.

When I talk about Crowded House, the basslines to me are fantastic, because they fit beautifully within the song, not because they display fretboard pyrotechnics.

I am sure that you are a good player for your age, but remember feel is by far the most important factor and is certainly the thing that any aspiring musician should be striving for.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i know what you mean but i like to eep it as complex as possible but still flow smoothly, that swhat hits me the best the sound i most prefer. You must always dress the song before you have time to do anything but that. When practicing i seek something challenging simply to keep myself on top of the game, can't allow my speed or sound to dwindle