Gear questions (sorry for the mundane stuff!)

All about Alex

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ramsd777

Gear questions (sorry for the mundane stuff!)

Post by ramsd777 »

Hello Rush fans, new to the board.......

Does anyone know the specs of the Telecaster and beautiful LP used on the last (and most likelt current tour - won't see unitl Radio City)?????

I assume both are Custom Shoe (Fender and Gibson resp) but would really like to know what pickups. Can't find anything on web - and NO, I'm not going to go out and get the same guitar, just curious as a gear geek!

Thanks,

- Don
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Hi there, welcome to the board. I don't know what he uses for pickups. Want for I should ask him when I see him in August? :?

:lol:
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

First you must ask him his middle name!! :P

And welcome aboard, ramsd777, complete, complete, complete.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

In Rush's early career, Lifeson used a fairly standard rock rig: a Gibson ES-335 guitar, various phaser and flanger pedals, and a Marshall "Plexi" amplifier.

Beginning in the late 1970s, he increasingly incorporated twelve-string guitar (acoustic and electric) and chorusing in his sound.

While Eddie Van Halen is usually credited as the inventor of the "superstrat," Lifeson actually adopted a key super-Strat component ? the Floyd Rose locking vibrato system ? before Van Halen.

By the time of the 1982 Rush album Signals, Lifeson's primary guitar had become a hot-rodded Stratocaster with a Bill Lawrence high-output humbucker (a type later made famous by Dimebag Darrell) in the bridge position and a Floyd Rose bridge, and as the '80s wore on he switched from passive to active pickups and from vacuum tube to solid-state amplification, all with an increasingly thick layer of digital signal processing. (Lifeson was the primary endorser of the now all-but-forgotten Gallien-Krueger solid-state guitar amplifier line.)

In the late 1980s he switched to Carvin guitars in the studio and his short-lived Signature brand guitars onstage.

Lifeson primary used PRS guitars during the recording of Roll The Bones in 1990/1991.

When recording 1993's Counterparts, Lifeson returned to rock guitar tradition: he continued to use PRS guitars and Marshall amplifiers to record the album, and for the subsequent tour. On one Counterparts song, Stick It Out, Lifeson used a Gibson Les Paul to create a deeper, more resonant tone for the song's signature riff.

Lifeson currently uses PRS, Fender, and Gibson guitars, and Hughes and Kettner amplifiers.

In 2005, Hughes and Kettner introduced an Alex Lifeson signature series amplifier; $50 from every amplifier sold will be donated to UNICEF.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:smt103

Alex has guitars?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

DITTO t! :shock: I didn't know either...
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think I may like this guy.
Onward and Upward!