Van Halen and others

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Van Halen and others

Post by Ogg »

Found several items of listening pleasure (or maybe not) to fill out my holiday. Most notably a new Van Halen compendium 'the best of both worlds'. Never a big fan but certain songs prompt fond, if a little rude, memories dontcha know. Made me realise how much I favour the Hagar era, several Roth classics aside.
Unearthed a 3cd Ozzy box-set featuring Dairy' 'Moon and the Ultimate' albums. I played s.a.t.o. from 'Diary for the first time in an age and encouraged my son to join me in an air guitar duel...I won :) . I remember buying a live sato on 7" vinyl and playing it to death on my old record player (the one where records were stacked, but once the 'arm' was retracted continous play was enabled, lol.) .
The Cure's latest collection is of such interest that it detracts from the new album. So much to listen to.
A remaster of the mighty 'Tull's 'Songs From The Wood' is welcomed like a long lost friend as is my '92 Rush 'roio'.
Thankyou for your time.

Considering waking up my son to challenge him to an Air Guitar duel featuring Van Halens 'Eruption' :-D .
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You rock, Ogg! lol Way to go beating the kiddo in the duel!
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

You rock, Ogg! lol Way to go beating the kiddo in the duel!
Thankyou, he really didnt stand a chance. I was simply shredding!!! :-)

My son has refused an air-drum duel to YYZ...any takers? :evil:
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Or how about we both play stringless acoustics and see who can make the most noise? It's an interesting thing, playing a guitar with no strings on it. :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I would take you up on it, Ogg, but I am on the left coast of the US and you are in the UK and I don't have a webcam.

*ite.......oooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay.
Onward and Upward!
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

My son has refused an air-drum duel to YYZ...any takers? I'll take that offer :lol:
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

I played my guitar once when it had no strings on it... My brain was firing like I was playing it and I could hear the parts I was 'playing' in my head. You ought to try it.
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

i personally like van halen..dad says eddie's a better guitarist than Alex, and that may be true, but i prefer Alex's style!!

idk about that stringless guitar idea though, l*nite..that could just be natural signs of insanity :wink:

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

Well, yeah! I'm insane! :-D

8)

Van Halen is accorded a position of Rock Royalty for some reason or another, I'm still trying to figure it out. There's nothing that Eddie can do that Alex can't ;) I would say that they have definite style differences and they're both at the peak of their own genres.

I think Alex could take him in a guitar duel, but I am biased :cool:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

i think that while eddie runs through the song on his guitar..Alex DRIVES through it!! i prefer the wailing & fast/slow stuff Alex does to eddie's 'it's all the same' method. to me, it just doesn't have as much CHARACTER as Alex does!! also, there's this thing called 'progressive rock'..& i really don't think van halen qualifies for that category. sure, it's great music, i love it, but i don't really see them growing as musicians throughout their career like RUSH has.

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

happysmilies007 wrote:i personally like van halen..dad says eddie's a better guitarist than Alex, and that may be true, but i prefer Alex's style!!
I think that Alex is a better drummer and Eddie is a better guitarist. Isn't that why they switiched instruments in the first place way back when they were kids in Pasadena?
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

lol stick it to that reported T