Rush Covers

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Rush Covers

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

What do you people out there think of the various covers of Rush songs that surface from time to time. I must admit, I've not heard that many but, of the ones I have heard, the two that spring to mind are the String Quartet Version of Spirit of Radio and I've just got hold of a reasonable live version of Closer to the Heart by Queensryche. Its not a patch on Rush (particularly the vocals and drums fall a bit short of the mark) but its not excruciating.

The one I've heard that needs to be avoided like the plague is Skid Row's version of What You're Doing. Then again, pretty much anything by Skid Row needs avoiding.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

:lol:
This space for rent
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

Actually, I like Skid Row's "What You're Doing".

The Gomers' "Headrush" (Tom Sawyer) and Silver Sun's "Xanadu" are a couple of covers I like because they are quite different from the originals.
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

funky cm wrote:Actually, I like Skid Row's "What You're Doing".
Yeah, that one really does the song justice. Course, I guess it helps that I like Skid Row. 8)
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Slaine mac Roth

I think I got put off Skid Row because they were flavour of the month among all the teeny-bop rock fans of about 13 years of age when they first came out.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

funky cm wrote:The Gomers' "Headrush" (Tom Sawyer) and Silver Sun's "Xanadu" are a couple of covers I like because they are quite different from the originals.
Yea, these are good. I also really liked String Cheese Incident's cover of "Tom Sawyer" and Barenaked Ladies' version of "Spirit of Radio"
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I do have a few tracks from the Broon produced tribute album.Of course I had to download them but I wish I didnt, lol.
I have Ygnwie Malmsteen attempting 'Anthem', Steve Morse's 'La Villa' cover and vaious Dream Theater covers.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

think I got put off Skid Row because they were flavour of the month among all the teeny-bop rock fans of about 13 years of age when they first came out.
Perhaps I shouldnt have but I allways lumped Skid Row in with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue etc. Grunge killed them all and was I ever so pleased :-) .
The only half decent 'hair' band I thought was Guns n Roses. At the time the debut was so raw, so refreshing. Interesting to note that I downloaded the recent greatest hits compilation for someone and deleted it after burning. The songs do not stand the test of time in my opinion.
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Ogg wrote:
think I got put off Skid Row because they were flavour of the month among all the teeny-bop rock fans of about 13 years of age when they first came out.
Perhaps I shouldnt have but I allways lumped Skid Row in with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue etc. Grunge killed them all and was I ever so pleased :-) .
The only half decent 'hair' band I thought was Guns n Roses. At the time the debut was so raw, so refreshing. Interesting to note that I downloaded the recent greatest hits compilation for someone and deleted it after burning. The songs do not stand the test of time in my opinion.
I actually enjoyed Skid Row's second album... I think that's the one with the tune Monkey Business on it... much heavier than the first album. Then I lost touch with 'em.
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Now I remember... The second album was called Slave to the Grind... please slap the ever living shite out of me if I'm wrong :lol: :lol:
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:I think I got put off Skid Row because they were flavour of the month among all the teeny-bop rock fans of about 13 years of age when they first came out.
I got put off them because they're crap. Oh, and because they stole the name.

I've got Malmsteen's version of Anthem, and it's fairly poor. Not as bad as his version of Deep Purple's Child in Time, but still one of the weaker tracks on that particular CD.

I also have an mp3 of one of the tracks from.... either Working Man or Red Star. I forget which. Nothing special.
Slaine mac Roth

I must admit that I love the String Quartet version of Spirit of Radio.
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Here are the albums where you will find lots of Rush covers.

Working Man

Red Star

Exit...Stage Right
Bassist of Joe's Band