Yes

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

New World Man

Post by New World Man »

Check out my other Yes posting............what a great band Yes is. Rush is better, but Yes is right up there.
I'm in motion.
I am still.
I am crying.
I am still.
I'm together.
I'm apart.
I'm forever.
At the start.

Still... I am.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Sept. 2nd - Dream Theatre and Yes 8)
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I have always loved Yes. I first got into them when I was about twelve years old(1979) which was about two years before I started listening to Rush.

Whilst Rush have superseded them as my favourite band, Yes will always have a special place in my record collection.

Faves include:

Close To The Edge
The Yes Album (my sig is lifted from it)
Fragile
Relayer
Tales Of Topographic Oceans

I would recommend any first time listener checks out "And You and I" which is on CTTE. Fabulous stuff....
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Yes kicks ass...I remember they played Yes at the Rush concert before the show started...coolness. You gotta love the basslines in their songs.
We're all mad here!
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Oh yeah - been a fan of Yes even prior to Rush. First show I saw was the Tormato tour in '79. I actually got to see the last show Jon and Rick performed ( at least in the US ) prior to their departure - 6/30/79.

8th row in the round. One of the best concerts I've ever seen! A whopping $7.50 at the time!

Mike
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Going For The One is a great album.
Bassist of Joe's Band

psupower

Post by psupower »

I have a few of there albums but have jammed them in a while..

close to the edge, relayer, tales from topographic oceans " neat album ", fragile and yessongs..

I am still a latecomer to YES, started on them back in 98 or so..
" Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each impression a little bit stronger "
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Dawn, it's time to tell everyone about your Yes epiphany.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:shock:

You want me to tell them about my WHAT?!?!?!

Just kidding, Elfs.

Well, okay, so this is what happened.

Elf did it.

It isn't Alex's fault at all this time.

He......*ahem*.....he.......uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... :oops:

He sent me Yes in the mail and now I will never be the same! There! I said it! I admit it! I AM A YES FAN!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Elfdude))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks Elfie!
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I gotta admit, I was a HUGE Steve Howe fan before Lerxt...

I think Rush took a couple of ideas outta the Yes playbook for sure, but that's a good thing...Where would we be without it? huh? what?
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I was introduced to both bands simultaneously back in '78. And they're both still my favorites. :)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

that's cool.....I was about 3 years ahead o' ya....my life was never the same...WOOHOO

I have a sneaking suspicion that Rush got some costume ideas from them...the clothes they wore in ATWAS and the 2112 pics remind me of Wakeman and Yes...Alex and Steve both playing Gibby ES'S at the time...shweeet! :headbang:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:that's cool.....I was about 3 years ahead o' ya....my life was never the same...WOOHOO

I have a sneaking suspicion that Rush got some costume ideas from them...the clothes they wore in ATWAS and the 2112 pics remind me of Wakeman and Yes...Alex and Steve both playing Gibby ES'S at the time...shweeet! :headbang:
We know they were influenced. In Guitar Player magazine Geddy was talking about when they got an advance before making their first album and ran to the music store. He said he bought his first Rickenbacker just becasue Chris Squire played one, and for no other reason.

Also, in that old interview on disc 2 of R30 Alex mentions that while recording Caress of Steel they took a night off and went to see a Yes concert. They were so blown away they didn't want to finsh the album afterwards. :)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

crazy dude! I KNEW there was something to it...

I took a blind date to see Yes, and she didn't like it at all...Even when Howe was stretching his hands to cover SIX FRETS while chording! INSANE!!! long story short--I never spoke to her again...hahaha

I guess to the musically tasteless, Yes is a band you either love or hate...Like the RHCP!!! :-D

fortunately, for me, I dig 'em both :-D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Heh... I took a first date to see Rush back in... was it 2002 when they started touring again and RIR was filmed?

Anyway, I hadn't met her before but we'd communicated online. She was a musician. She'd made a couple of sort of new age CD's. Very nice and very pretty lady. But she'd never heard of Rush. I sent her mp3's of Bravado and Natural Science before the show, so those were the only things she'd heard.

Before the show she started reading my program. Neil was talking in it about how he'd written a lot of the Vapor Trail lyrics but Ged and Alex were being slow about putting them to songs. Having time on his hands he wrote, "So I began writing a book, as one does." That line raised her eyebrows.

I'm sure that was the loudest and wildest concert she'd ever seen. But, as she said during the intermission, "They can really PLAY!"

She loved the cloud video during Bravado. And after seeing the rapping skeleton she had to ask what that song was about. I e-mailed her the lyrics and the realization hit her that not only could they play, they were thinkers as well. :) But she never bought any albums.

Fun memories...