What album got you started on Rush?

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

btw, 3T, don't feel bad about that. i was probably the only 11-year-old girl listening to RUSH within a 250 mile radius.

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

PV wrote:I first heard Rush when I was 11, summer of 1978. My best friend, Daniel (who lives in Buffalo all you western New Yorkers!) played Closer To The Heart for me. I was hooked! Went home and bought everything I could get my hands on. When I finally got Permanent Waves, and I heard Natural Science, it was true love.

But I didn't get to see Rush in concert until Signals, the night before my 16th birthday. Nice gift. :cool:
Cool. The Signals concert was also my first Rush show and also a birthday present, from by big bro.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Exit Stage Left's La Villa did it for me. Something about a baker, was it? :?
psupower

Post by psupower »

happysmilies007 wrote:the album? Exit, Stage Left. the song? Spirit of Radio. good stuff, man.

carolynn :evil:
same here yo..
" Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each impression a little bit stronger "
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

mine was Hold you fire, presto or 2112, all from ym dads albums and i kind of listened to them , the real culprit was my bass songbook though
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I was 15 and had just made a new friend. He showed me this brand new album with a naked man on the front and told me there was a song on it called The Trees that was really good. It The Trees and La Villa on Hemispheres that got me started.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Moving Pictures was the album that started it all for me. I've never looked back since.

The first CD I bought was Hold Your Fire.
Bassist of Joe's Band

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

It would appear that Moving Pictures is THE introductory album, myself included. When I mention our heroes in conversation '2112' is always included.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Ogg wrote:It would appear that Moving Pictures is THE introductory album, myself included. When I mention our heroes in conversation '2112' is always included.
After hearing the two songs I mentioned from Hemispheres, a different friend played me side one of 2112. He showed me the inner album cover and I thought it was very neat that they were telling a whoe story on the first side of the album. I'd encountered that before with ELP's Tarkus album (my intorduction to prog rock). The the singing started in Temples I thought it was kinda weird because it was SO high... and a little screechy I thought at the time. I looked at the back cover (eesh... what a horrible picture, especially Alex's pants) and asked, "Which one is singing?" My friend answered, "The one who looks gay." I looked at Alex's pants, Neil's moustache, and said, "Which one is that?" He came over and showed me which one he was talking about. But, by the time I was hearing, "We have assumed control!" I was hooked on that album as well. :)
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

You're right ElfDude, it is weird. I don't know who's voice is weirder. Geddy's or Ian Anderson's :P

In the defense of Rush's picture on 2112... At least they aren't wearing make-up! :lol:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*Lifesonite wrote:You're right ElfDude, it is weird. I don't know who's voice is weirder. Geddy's or Ian Anderson's :P

In the defense of Rush's picture on 2112... At least they aren't wearing make-up! :lol:
There's another one from that era where they are... it's yucky. Fortunately it was never on an album cover...
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Ogg wrote:It would appear that Moving Pictures is THE introductory album, myself included. When I mention our heroes in conversation '2112' is always included.
Yeah, me too!!
Bassist of Joe's Band

Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I was first introduced to Rush by a boy I had a mad crush on. He asked if I would like to go to a Rush concert, and I said "Sure!" without knowing who they were or what they sounded like. I decided to start listening to the local rock stations on the radio (I led a really sheltered life beforehand!) so I could hear Rush tunes and not feel stupid when I got to the concert because I'd know some of their music.

The first song I ever heard was "Subdivisions," and from that moment on, I was hooked. :D I borrowed albums from friends and put them on tape. I had to play them on a really old record player and set a boom box next to it and hope I got a good take. Every time the dogs barked outside my bedroom window I had to start over! :( I worked my way backwards through the albums, and the more I heard the more I loved! I was especially taken with Geddy's voice (and his nose! :oops: :D ) and his bass playing.

So to answer the question in a roundabout way, my first Rush album was Subdivisions. I bought Grace Under Pressure the day it came out, which was the day I had to ride with my brother-in-law from Idaho to Texas. I didn't want it to freeze in the back of the pickup with my other stuff (there was still snow on the ground!) so I put it inside the cab of the truck. Unfortunately, I put it where the heater vent was and the album got warped by the heat!! The first time I heard it, I watched the needle swoop up and down over the curves in the vinyl but loved it anyway. :D
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

What a cool (no pun intended) story Panacea.
Bassist of Joe's Band

The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

I was making mixes of songs I had heard good things about, to try and improve my guitar playing, and I wound up with YYZ on one of the discs... I must of listened to that song a thousand times, at least!

Then I got the RIR dvd for christmas, heard the unplugged "Resist", Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Natural Science, The Pass, Well, pretty much every song on there, And the rest was history (It also helped that my dad had Fly By Night on vinal... The one where By-Tor and the Snow Dog goes on forever because of the chimes printed into the fadeout groove)

Then I met a Geddy Lee fan who played bass and we formed a band. A damn good one. Thanks Rush!
Wheels within whells, a spiral array
A pattern so grand and complex
Time after time, we loose sight of the way
Our causes can't see their effects

-The Necromancer