I finally have Rush! My first impressions \m/

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother »

Ogg wrote:
Big Brother wrote:You are correct.

It's my initial reaction to the songs tho. It'll take me awhile to give a fair judgement, and until then I'll keep on listening to Rush :evil:
...and you cant add any more to that :-) .
Would it be better if I write a book?

I ain't feeling the love here :?

I think I'll go hide in the Useless forum again :cry:
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Ogg wrote:It's so cool you're getting into the albums BB but arent you rushing (no pun intended) through them a little. I would expect a month's listening at least before comments :-) .
I dunno, I think first impressions are important too. Its interesting to watch how they might change over time (I know mine have). Besides, watching any one 'discover' Rush is always good times!! :-D

Post away, BB!
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

Big Brother wrote:... until then I'll keep on listening to Rush :evil:
No way :P
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Just found this thread and read through it. Your first impressions have been similar to mine, though I started listening in 1979.

I still think Hemispheres moves me like no other Rush album, though there are tracks I like on all of them.

As to Vapor Trails, I was pretty much disappointed the first time I listened to it. I played it over and over, trying to see if it would grow on me like everyone said it would. Reading Ghost Rider did give me some lyrical insight... but still.

I did like the song Ghost Rider from the first. The changes in Peaceable Kingdom are cool. I've learned to appreciate bits and pieces of the album more through repeated listenings, but it still disappoints me a somewhat.

Hemispheres grabbed me and I loved it instantly. Same with Farewell to Kings and a couple of the others. They're still a fantastic band and I'm a huge fan, but I kinda feel like some of the magic has been lost as the years go by.

But I guess that's life, isn't it? In our youth we have all these high ideals and vision and excitement and wonder... and as we grow and get hit over and over with the trials of life we get stronger (and hopefully wiser) but we also tend to get hardened and the magic goes away...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?