A Poet's Thoughts

When you have no clue as to what you want to say

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

A Poet's Thoughts

Post by awip2062 »

I found these thoughts on the site of a poet of whom I am a second-generation fan.

1 - For travelers, a block away, half a world away, home is always over the next hill, always one more mile.

2 - There will be times when many will want a piece of you, but only offer up the whole.

3 - We are chained only by ourselves. Our thoughts and actions are our jailers just as they can be liberating angels that set us free to be ourselves.

4 - Vote ! It entitles you to bitch for the next four years.

5 - Perspective comes when poles are far enough apart to have horizons at both ends.

6 - The sun is a movable target. Aim for something in life a little more steady and less all consuming.

7 - Once I thought dreams were exceptions, not the rule. But that isn?t so - they are so plentiful that they ride by on air. You?ve only to reach out and snatch one from the mist, or from nowhere.

8 - In making up a bed of love, be sure to leave the cushions loose.

9 - Those who travel gentle in the world are seldom recognized as gentlemen by others. It matters not, for gentleness toward another human being is the thin line between personal success and failure for each of us.

10 - Few of us are ready to love anyone else - until we learn to know and love ourselves. That isn?t easy, and it shouldn?t be. It is difficult both to love that much, and seemingly that little.

11 - Those who are dead to dreaming live within a cloud of their own making, and so their chance of entering the stratosphere is scant.

12 - Our country owes us nothing. We could not pay back what she has given us already if we had two new lifetimes left to attempt the job.

13 - The day will come when we export more bread than bullets. That day we?ll know all there is to know of love.

14 - Several men have proven that any man can grow up and become President - some of those same men have also shown us that not every man elected to the office is capable of being President.

15 - If love hasn?t given you wings, do not expect to fly.

16 - To dream is to remain always open.

17 - Wisdom is as slow to come as snow to melt.

18 - Love, at best, is giving what you need to get.

19 - Man is energy. The only energy we have is man.

20 - Without some ?think time? we relinquish our quest for knowledge to others and are forced to accept their opinions as our own.

21 - Special mysteries do not worry me as much as what we do to one another beneath the seemingly soft veneer of friendship.

22 - Follow love and you need no other leader.

23 - The few who say so much for all of us with knotted tongues should die in poppy fields, old and withered, used up, done, their last days spent as children once again.

24 - In loving, nothing succeeds like excess. Moderation is a mutual act and should be synchronized.

25 - If I love my fellow man a little more today, tomorrow I?ll move more gently through his space.

26 - We travel such a distance to stand still.

27 - Taking the time to love is, most of all, caring enough to not hold on too tightly and yet not run too loose.

28 - Keep your finger on the country to monitor its pulse, but do not pass a mirror without looking at yourself. Remember that you are the country.

29 - Liking everything leaves little time for liking anything well.

30 - Cats know. They?re as good as bank clerks at sensing loss or gain, better than the clairvoyant at seeing what?s ahead.
- from "Rod McKuen's Book of Days and a Month of Sundays," 1981
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

coolage
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Stanley Kunitz

I got a whole list of others that I like. Just reading some of Kunitz poems this day.
afterimage

Post by afterimage »

thanks for sharing those AWIP, some good thoughts to ponder on. :)
"Swept away like voices in a hurricane, In a vapor trail"
Sympho

Post by Sympho »

My **** is deflating again.. :?
Go away
PV
Site Admin

Re: A Poet's Thoughts

Post by PV »

awip2062 wrote:4 - Vote ! It entitles you to bitch for the next four years.
I like this one! :D
awip2062 wrote:12 - Our country owes us nothing. We could not pay back what she has given us already if we had two new lifetimes left to attempt the job.
Here here! I agree!
awip2062 wrote:18 - Love, at best, is giving what you need to get.
So true... so very true... And it works! :D
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Panacea

Re: A Poet's Thoughts

Post by Panacea »

PV wrote:
awip2062 wrote:18 - Love, at best, is giving what you need to get.
So true... so very true... And it works! :D
I can vouch for that! :D
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...