SLC Show

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

SLC Show

Post by ElfDude »

I was looking at that link Ogg posted and found a night by night listing of Alex' rants. I was surprised to see that SLC show where I was appears to have been the night where all the pirate stuff started...

Lerxst pretended to be a pirate (speaking in a pirate voice) and talked about how he was a pirate captain and how he was never out of work because "When anybody needed a captain, they called me." He then explained that, "I have sailed the seven seas. I've seen a lot of good men go down .. (pause with a smile) and I've seen a lot of good women go down." He then went on to tell a story about a time "when I was sailing the eighth sea, it's a little known sea, it's not very big, I was looking for bounty and gold to plunder. I was also looking for a good bed to rest my aching back, and my aching wooden peg leg, and my aching wooden eye, and my aching wooden ear, and that's a completely different story" as to how he got a wooden ear that he would have to work on and cracked himself up in the process! During the rant, there was a shot on the screen of a t-shirt that was draped over Geddy's dryers. It had a ragdoll-looking figure with x's in its eyes and knives and daggers hanging out of it and underneath the picture it said, in old-English style lettering "Worst Pirate Ever!". After recovering from giggling at himself he said, "But that's another story... the nightmare that followed the wooden ear!!!"

Sidebar (via eyewitness reports): a couple in the first section (102) had a picture of a soldier and the girl kept raising it over her head during the first two or three songs of the show. An usher came over and asked her to put it down, as people were complaining that it was obstructing their view. Shortly after that a member of the Rush crew came over and stated that Alex wanted to display her sign on stage. Before or during "Red Barchetta" one of Alex's guitar techs took the picture and placed it to the left side of his amps (later moved right in front of his amps), which said anthonyquayle.com across the front. The touching moment came when Alex and the lady made eye contact, Alex saluted her and smiled, which of course made her cry. The picture stayed on stage for the rest of the night.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

I'm glad you posted that, Elfdude. I was at the SLC show as well, up front on Geddy's side. I saw the anthonyquayle.com thing and thought to myself to be sure to check that website out. Of course the excitement of the show and travel made me forget. Now I've finally seen it. What a wonderful way for a family to honor someone.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I'd been wondering why that sign went up. It was good to discover the story behind it.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?