Amp reviews

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Amp reviews

Post by ElfDude »

I didn't really know what category to post this in... I guess "Other Music" is as good as any.

I know there are a number of musicians on the board, so I thought I'd review my new guitar amp for you, just in case any of you might find the information interesting or useful.

If you'd like to review any amps you've used in here, go for it! I'm thinking of starting a guitar reviews thread as well.

I started playing guitar in 1977. I think I got my first amp three years later. It was a Peavey Pacer... solid state... claimed to be 45 watts. I got it used with a blown speaker and put in a Fane. The amp had no tone of its own, but until recently I didn't really know the differenec. I've always been a user of a lot of effects, and got my tone that way. And I've always recorded by going directly into the board and have often performed by plugging directly into the PA, skipping the amp entirely. That was until my brother bought a couple of small vintage Fender tube amps; a Champ (8-watts, I think) and a Princeton (12 watts)... both made in the early 70's.

My goodness... he plugs his Strat into either of those amps and there is so much TONE! Warm, bright, vintage tone. :) And since we play vintage-type music, it's just perfect.

I have a Digitech RP-7 preamp that I'd been using. It has a 12AX7 tube in it, so it has a genuine tube sound, and I'd been plugging that into my Peavey amp and thinking it sounded fine, but these old Fenders put it to shame. So, I started looking for an affordable all-tube amp.

I finally settled on the Epiphone Galaxie 10. It's an all-tube, Class A, 10 watt amp (12AX7, 6L6 tubes). It houses a 10" Celestion speaker, has a gain and a volume control, 3-band EQ, and a standby switch next to the power switch. The user reviews on Harmony-Central.com were quite favorable. And it's price made it all the more appealing at $199. It also has a very cool, very retro look to it.

I bought it from music123.com, since they were offering free shipping.

When I tried it out, I thought it sounded bery bright and very dry (it has no reverb). My brother suggested I use my digital delay as a slap-back echo to give the sound a little depth and to enhance the vintage-ness. That did the trick. The amp came alive. I was struck with the dynamics of the thing (not unusual for guitarists who first try a tube amp). There was so much difference in the sound depending on how I picked the strings. It was great! Clean sounds had a new shimmer to them. Note: this is not the amp for heavy metal sounds. If you want distortion, it can do it just fine, but it's the OLD distortion... nothing like the 80's hair bands had.

But as a bit of time went by, I noticed that my brother's Fenders still kicked its butt. The amp was sounding really trebly to me, to the point of being shrill sometimes. Out of all my electrics, the guitar that sounded best through the amp was my big jazzbox hollowbody. I found that I could get the best sound out of the amp by keeping the treble knob down to 2, the mid knob at 9, and the bass knob at 10... just to try to warm up the overly bright tone.

Then I read that several people who owned this amp had noticed this about it as well, and attributed it to the brand of tubes it uses; Sovtek. I did a lot of reading and found that the JJ/Tesla ECC83S and the JJ/Tesla 6L6GC tubes claim to warm up overly bright amps. So, I ordered them (cost less than $30) and put them in.

My goodness, the difference in the tone was very real. The voice of the amp really did change. My Stratocaster suddenly became friendly sounding, the big ol' hollowbody actually became boomy, and the Carvin you see in my signature really took on a new life. But I think the best sounding guitar through it now is my '56 Les Paul copy with P-90 style pickups. That guitar has all kinds of warmth and spank. I can't wait to play a gig with this re-voiced amp mic'd through my PA and see what I get.

So, if any of you out there are looking for a great little tone machine for under $250, this might be the ticket. I think it has a better tone than a Fender Blues Junior, which costs a heck of a lot more. It won't sound as nice as a Traynor or a Gibson amp of equivalent power, but they cost SO much more. This is a really fun, and more affordable alternative.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i use for my guitar, an old tube amp, paul, unsure of wattage problt 20 or 30, nothing powerful

my bass, is a solid state fender bxr 100, its a300W amp, with 2 channels each 100W + effect loops/ slave powering ability , notch/deep/bright tonal effects, vol/gain /high/low dials and a graphic equalizer, you cna drastically tweak the tone on this amp, and it is extremly powerful . rattles my siding half cranked i have.
i bought it used for about 500$ canadian, they are not on the market now, unforuntately its a very good amp, very big and weighty though, about 80 lbs and over 3' high and little over 2 feet wide about 1 feet thick. has a 15" sub in it , bass needs a nice big speaker to get better tone, i really like it.
The 2 inputs on this amp are also tweaked, on is more for general instruments while the 2nd is made to add greater tonal quality to the bass itself, so a bit more power.

may i inquire to why you use such small amps elfman?
and i plug my strait into my tubes, i really like the sound i play it strait like that.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sir Myghin wrote:may i inquire to why you use such small amps elfman?
Absolutely.

The thing about tube amps... the tubes really need to be driven before they start to sound good. So if you have, say, a big old Fender Twin Reverb, it will sound great on a big stage cranked up to 7 or 8. But if you try to turn it up like that when practicing in the living room of your house, you'll blow the windows out and make yourself deaf. Turn it down to a reasonable volume and the sound flattens out and gets wimpy.

But a 5 or a 10 watt tube amp, you can turn it up to 10 and all that beautiful tube tone starts to shine, but at a reasonable volume. And if you're playing someplace kind of big, you just mic the amp through the PA and you've got all the volume you need.

Mind you, if my band did start playing arenas and stadiums, I'd like to buy a Fender Twin Reverb or two for those shows. But I'd still use the little amp for rehearsals and such.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

twin reverbs are nice amps, a friends dad was given one it needed like cord maintenance and nothing more. but your right, miy tube is probly 30-50W because i can't often turn it up loud enough without step mother bitch effect, eve on low levels
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sir Myghin wrote:twin reverbs are nice amps, a friends dad was given one it needed like cord maintenance and nothing more. but your right, miy tube is probly 30-50W because i can't often turn it up loud enough without step mother bitch effect, eve on low levels
Heh... when living with parents, there's nothing like a headphone amp fpr keeping the peace, eh?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

naw my dad really enjoys when i play his wifes just a wench