Commander-in-Chief Pop Quiz

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I definately agree about the global super power thing. And I never thought Kerry could deliver on the nations he promised. It would been pretty much the same if either of them were Le Prez.

The flaws were there but they couldn't be helped, for the most part. It's politics ;)

It's not about facts, it's about being heard. The louder you are...
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*Lifesonite wrote:
It's not about facts, it's about being heard. The louder you are...
How's that old saying go? "The squeaky wheel gets the war for oil?" :lol:
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

ElfDude wrote:Know how many allies we had with us in WW2? Seven.
Ahhh, no. You guys joined that one late, remember? That kinda makes you one or our allies, not the other way around.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Ahhh, no. You guys joined that one late, remember? That kinda makes you one or our allies, not the other way around.
Yeah, nothing to argue there. :)
Devil's Advocate

To be fair, a similar criticism could be levelled against British history books: they say that WW2 started on whatever date it was in Sept '39 - the date Britain declared war on Germany. But by then Hitler had already annexed Austria and invaded Poland (and France, or was that later?).... I wonder what date Austrian and Polish (and, for that matter German) history books say the war started.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
To clarify, neither the U.S. nor the U.K. joined until they were bombed. You guys were just bombed first. ;)

A tiny history lesson... the U.S. got into WW2 after being bombed by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. Though we conducted a small air raid on Japan (the Doolittle [sp?] raid), our first major offensive was in North Africa where we went after German troops. If John Kerry had been around back then would he have started yelling, "We can't allow ourselves to be distracted! We were attacked by Tojo! Hitler never posed any threat to us! This was the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time!!! FDR lied! R stands for Rong!!!"

Or something like that... :???:
Devil's Advocate

ElfDude wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
To clarify, neither the U.S. nor the U.K. joined until they were bombed. You guys were just bombed first. ;)
I believe we entered the war in response to Hitler's invsion of Poland.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the UK was bombed at all until well into the "Battle of Britain," which had begun over the sea, as the Luftwaffe targetted shipping convoys. Later they targetted the English airfields, and later still the cities.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay... I probably got that wrong. I remember reading about Neville Chamberlain and others saying that Hitler wasn't a threat, and Winston C. standing up to them... but I guess I don't quite remember the chronology of events then Britain really got involved.

In any case, you guys sure put up a better fight than the French! :evil: