Political Correctness in Universities?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Political Correctness in Universities?

Post by ElfDude »

I just watched a 45 minute documentary that really floored me. A longer version will be released as a feature film in the not too distant future, but a this shorter version is available for download right now. It's called "Brainwashing 101" and can be streamed or downloaded from http://www.academicbias.com/.

Whether you lean to the left or the right, the double standards examined in this film should leave you somewhat stunned.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

It's not just on campus. Political correctness has an absolute stanglehold on Social Services as well. It's downright oppressive. Actually it's everywhere.

When my son was born, they brought us up to the surgical ward, and I was asked if I was "the mother's birthing partner". I said "No, I'm the father." We don't even assume the male with the woman is the father anymore, just to be sure no one experiences a second of discomfort or offense (except for the fathers). Try criticising a woman or a minority for their ideas, behavior, etc. and you risk being branded a sexist/racist and dismissed. I've seen it with my own eyes, heard it with my own ears.

Where exactly does it say we are entitled to go through our entire life unoffended?

Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

EndlesslyRocking wrote:When my son was born, they brought us up to the surgical ward, and I was asked if I was "the mother's birthing partner". I said "No, I'm the father."
LOL! Way to go, ER!

Of course any campus has its rules, and those rules will always contain a speech policy. But some were shown in this movie that actually said to avoid using "gender specific" words such as "girlfriend and boyfriend" and instead to use words like "lover or partner".

Good grief!
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

A teacher in England told me they are not allowed to use the word "brainstorming" in their lesson plans or meeting minutes, because the term is offensive to epileptics.

:roll:
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

EndlesslyRocking wrote:A teacher in England told me they are not allowed to use the word "brainstorming" in their lesson plans or meeting minutes, because the term is offensive to epileptics.

:roll:
LOL!

Well, while that sort of thing is brought up in this film, it's main focus tends to be double standards within the political correctness; certain groups or persons that it's okay to harrass...
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Fuck PC. If I know someone who if physically messed up in some way, I'm going to call him/her a gimp or a crip....to hell with 'physically challenged'. And I don't expect to be refered to as a 'vertically challenged big guy'...it's really simple, I'm a short fat fuck. It's gotten to the point where everyone in this country is walking on eggshells, and if you do make the mistake of calling someone 'retarded' instead of 'mentally challenged', you're branded as an 'insensitive jerk' (notice there's no pc term for that).
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I'd just like to reiterate the points I made in the last PC thread here.

I am sick to death of people's attitude towards because of who I am. Because I am a hetero-sexual white male I am automatically branded a bigot. Because I am male, its automatically assumed I am sexist. Because I'm white its automatically assumed that I'm racist (ignoring the fact that a lot of black and Asian people can be far more racist than any white person). because I'm hetero-sexual I'm automatically assumed to be homo-phobic. The fact that I am none of these things doesn't enter into the equation. Furthermore, being English, I'm frowned upon for openly displaying my nation's flag (this is especially the case with the St George's flag) and am not given to celebrate's my country's patron saint's day.

It has even got the point where I'm unable to speak half of my native language, even in it's most innocent form or recite the nursery rhymes of my childhood.

The most ridiculous stpry I have heard lately is of a mother who was unable to celebrate her daughter's second birthday at a local parent/toddler group because some of the children there were from a racial group that do not celebrate birthdays.

As an aside, can I display my disgust at sucessful British Governments for refusing to grant the Gurkhas British Citizenship. These men have served the British Army and Government lyally and bravely for many years but seem to have less rights than the millions of bogus asylum seekers who flood into the country and, in many documented cases, have killed children on the roads while driving without tax, insurance or even a licence.

I think it is about time that people realised that the PC culture (or is that the PC Vultures?) do far more damage to interracial harmony and intergration than any other groups. By penalising a large section of the population, whether it be by race, sex or orientation, they simply foster resentment and antagonism. Equality in all forms should mean just that - all people should be considered equal and NONE should be giver preferential treatment.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well said, men!

Oh, as one who grew up with epilepsy, I had never even considered the fact that "brainstorming" was offensive to me. Truth is, it isn't. Idiots!
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

by-tor wrote:Fuck PC. If I know someone who if physically messed up in some way, I'm going to call him/her a gimp or a crip....to hell with 'physically challenged'. And I don't expect to be refered to as a 'vertically challenged big guy'...it's really simple, I'm a short fat fuck. It's gotten to the point where everyone in this country is walking on eggshells, and if you do make the mistake of calling someone 'retarded' instead of 'mentally challenged', you're branded as an 'insensitive jerk' (notice there's no pc term for that).

By-Tor- You are funnier than hell. You really make me laugh. Not just this post but others, mostly when you are ripping on ER, He is a funny dude too. That is why I love this site, I always get a good laugh when I come here, It makes this crummy job bearable. I do agree with you 100% about this too, people need to stop being so sensitive.
Happy 2015!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

You guys should really go watch the video. :)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

The planet has been casturated by PC. Donahued, Oprahfied, wussified, sissified................... Damn it, we need to rise up and take our nutts back !!!!!!!

.......................... Yes, I know how that sounds.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

AMHERST, Mass., October 14, 2004?Less than one year after the University of Massachusetts Amherst defended the free speech rights of a columnist who celebrated the death of Army Ranger Pat Tillman, the university has campaigned to persecute nine students who were seen in photographs containing a caricature of one of them as the ?Grand Wizard? of the Ku Klux Klan. The drawing, which was intended to mock both the Klan itself and spurious accusations of ?racism? made during the course of a student government election campaign, depicted the so-called Grand Wizard with his eyes crossed and his tongue hanging out of his mouth. The mere existence of such a drawing led UMass to charge the nine students with ?harassment? and threaten them with penalties ranging from criminal charges to expulsion.

?Appalling double standards are, unfortunately, nothing new at America?s colleges and universities, but UMass has taken the unfair treatment of students to a new low,? said David French, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), which is advocating on behalf of the students. ?UMass officials know that the drawing was a constitutionally protected satire of accusations of racism made against a candidate in a student election, yet they have denounced the students in public as racists and are pushing ahead with plans to punish them.?

On March 26, 2004, after the elections for the UMass Student Government Association (SGA), several candidates gathered in a student organization office for a post-election party. One student at the party, Patrick Higgins, was defeated in a race for SGA President during which he was labeled a ?racist? for opposing a plan to set aside a number of seats in the Student Senate solely for members of a campus group called ALANA. (Eventually the plan was judged unconstitutional by UMass?s own general counsel.) ALANA claims to represent ?African, Latino/a, Asian/Pacific Islander, and Native American? students at UMass.

In an effort to mock the charges of racism, a person at the party drew a caricature of Higgins as a member of the Ku Klux Klan on a dry-erase board. The ?Grand Wizard? was depicted wearing a pointed hat and a cape, and holding a burning cross. With his eyes crossed and his tongue hanging out of his mouth, the ?Wizard? had a speech bubble written over his head that read, ?I LOVE ALANA!!? One of the partygoers took photographs of the caricature and posted them on his personal website. An unknown student later circulated the photographs around campus, along with others that appear to show some of the partygoers drinking alcohol.

?Anyone looking at the caricature of the student as a ?Grand Wizard? can see that it is not an expression of support for the KKK,? commented Greg Lukianoff, FIRE?s director of legal and public advocacy. ?In the context of the charges leveled during the election, it?s quite clear that the drawing is a satire of what the students felt was an unjust characterization of Higgins.?

After controversy erupted, UMass Amherst Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Michael Gargano told the Daily Collegian campus newspaper, ?I have the authority to remove these people from office?I could give them 500 hours of community service, have them conduct an open forum discussion; I have a variety of sanctions at my disposal. I?m not ruling out dismissal.? Gargano further articulated his threats at a September 27 ?diversity panel,? stating, ?f the Student Government Association doesn't move on it, I will. Are we clear? Resign!?

The same ?diversity panel,? consisting of Gargano, SGA President Eduardo Bustamante, and several UMass faculty members, labeled the nine students in the photos the ?KKK Nine,? implying that they supported the Ku Klux Klan. ?Accusing students without any evidence of their affiliation with or sympathy for a racist terror organization is beyond slander. It shows a grave disregard for students, contempt for the principle of ?innocent until proven guilty,? and a lack of judgment bordering on malice,? said FIRE?s Lukianoff.

UMass has charged all nine students with ?harassment conduct less than a physical attack? and other charges related to the consumption of alcohol. During the resulting judicial proceedings, UMass has offered ?settlements? that include punishments far more severe than those typically imposed for first-time alcohol offenses.

On October 7, FIRE wrote UMass Amherst Chancellor John V. Lombardi on behalf of the students, pointing out that not only was the drawing irresponsibly mischaracterized, but that it was also constitutionally protected expression that UMass, as a state institution, was forbidden to punish. FIRE pointed out that ?the First Amendment protects even extraordinarily offensive satire and parody,? and emphasized that any punishment decisions ?must be made without reference to the ?offensive? caricature.?

UMass?s actions in this case stand in stark contrast to its treatment of Rene Gonzalez, a UMass graduate student who wrote an article for the Daily Collegian last spring that called NFL player turned Army Ranger Pat Tillman an ?idiot? and said that ?this was a ?G.I. Joe? guy who got what was coming to him.? UMass rightly refused to take official action against Gonzalez. Instead, UMass system President Jack Wilson responded, ?While I recognize Rene Gonzalez?s right of free speech, I must also assert my right of free speech to criticize what he said.?

?President Wilson made the right decision once, and we are hopeful that he will do so again in the face of the hysteria surrounding this drawing. We hope that President Wilson and Chancellor Lombardi will demonstrate continued faith in the power of the marketplace of ideas to deal with expression that some might find offensive. Otherwise, UMass will become just one other disappointing example of the many colleges and universities that simply give up on free speech,? concluded FIRE?s French.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

The University of New Hampshire has found a student, Timothy Garneau, guilty of violating policies on affirmative action, harassment, and disorderly conduct and has evicted him from his dorm. He is now living in his car. His offense? Frustrated by students who would take the elevator rather than the stairs for short distances, he posted fliers in his dormitory joking that women could lose the ?Freshman 15? and shorten elevator wait times by using the stairs.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Grade school is just as bad as college. Poor little innocent children...

"We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control! Teacher, leave them kids alone!"

I remember every assignment was graded for memorization of some (usually biased) informantion and weather or not you followed the rules (like used the right kind of paper, right font) and never graded you on how intelligent anything you said was...usually intelligent things caused points off cuz it was "off subject" or the teacher didn't agree. :x What does that tell you? I failed miserably throughout school because of this.

Xan
We're all mad here!