Florida cops countersue Rush's Lifeson

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Florida cops countersue Rush's Lifeson

Post by by-tor »

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/10/03/1246396-ap.html

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) -- Two deputies who arrested a founder of the Canadian rock trio Rush have sued, claiming the guitarist attacked them as they tried to force his son to leave a hotel during a New Year's Eve party.

Lawyers representing the Ritz-Carlton in Naples and deputies involved in the arrest filed court papers arguing they acted properly when they arrested Justin Zivojinovich, who allegedly had become disorderly and was asked to leave the party to ring in 2004.

The filings respond to a federal lawsuit filed in June by Alex Zivojinovich, known onstage as Alex Lifeson, Rush's lead guitarist. That lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for battery, unlawful arrest and false imprisonment against the hotel and its security director, Frank Barner. It also accuses Collier County sheriff's deputies Christopher Knott, Scott Russell and Amy Stanford.

At the event, Justin Zivojinovich began singing on a stage set up for the house band. Hotel representatives told him to stop and, according to his lawsuit, he did.

But hotel officials called authorities, and the three deputies arrived to remove him from the property. When his father intervened, the guitarist shoved Stanford down a stairwell and spit blood in Knott's face, according to the countersuits, which don't specify monetary damages.

Justin Zivojinovich was charged with resisting arrest with violence. His father also was charged with two felonies. In April 2005, the guitarist and his son pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge and received a year of probation.

In their suit, the Zivojinoviches say the father suffered a broken nose during the scuffle, while the son was subdued and hit with a Taser stun gun before his arrest. His father also suffered several Taser hits.

Lawyers for the hotel asked U.S. District Judge John Steele to dismiss the initial lawsuit. Attorney Judith Mercier argued the Ritz and its security chief can't be held legally responsible for the deputies' actions.

The family's attorneys have already responded to the countersuits, arguing the two deputies knew of the possibility of injury when they tried to remove Justin Zivojinovich.

Zivojinovich attorney Paul Weekley also argued the two deputies were the aggressors, and the guitarist acted only "in good faith and in self-defense."

Rush's hits have included The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer and New World Man andsince the power trio's first album debuted in 1974.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

somehow I expected that.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

On and on it goes. *sigh* I hope it resolves well.
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

"The lead guitarist for Rush"

What, they have another one that plays rhythm?

Anyhoo............. am betting a settlement comes out of all this, where they both cancel each other out.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Soup4Rush wrote:somehow I expected that.
Ugh. I'd hoped not but I thought this may happen too. :(

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Middle Kingdom wrote:"The lead guitarist for Rush"

What, they have another one that plays rhythm?
LOL! Yeah, didn't you know that Alex has a twin brother?
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Ahhh, that's right, Alan Lifeson.
Silly me.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Whew! You remembered. I thought I was gonna have to take you out back and teach you a lesson with a birch rod. We can't have Rushians forgedding our dear Alan.
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

A birch rod?

< MK shudders >

I'll be good. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I see someone other than me has encountered the board of education before.
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

No, but I've heard the stories.
I think it was banned shortly before my grammar school years.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You must be younger than I then.
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

It was just yesterday the Celtics won the 1986 championship while I celebrated with Power Windows.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I was gonna say 'see these fucking americans sueing whatever and whenever...!!' unfortunately we (not me) has started copying the Americans for sueing willy nilly....
it's a sad state of affairs..
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

And he's Canadian, not American. :razz: :-D :razz:

Damn silly. The whole thing.
This space for rent