Rush celebrates 30th with live CD/DVD

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Rush celebrates 30th with live CD/DVD

Post by by-tor »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051013/music_nm/rush_dc

By Greg Prato Thu Oct 13, 2:00 AM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - A 2004 concert in Frankfurt, Germany is the subject of an upcoming CD/DVD from veteran progressive rock trio Rush.
ADVERTISEMENT

"R30 Live in Frankurt" is due November 22 via Rounder in the United States and Anthem in Canada; Sanctuary Visual Entertainment will issue it November 28 in Europe. It was recorded September 24 at Festhalle.

"Well, basically nobody was in a big hurry to do another live project, because we've got about 60,000 of them out there," singer/bassist
Geddy Lee told Billboard.com.

"But when we were touring Europe on the last tour, we hadn't been to those countries in 10 years -- some of them 20 years. And there was such an exuberant response from the crowd; it just seemed like a unique opportunity to capture the band in that kind of environment."

"The venue is very old," Lee continued. "We've played there a couple of times. It's always a strange atmosphere for North Americans to come over there and play in one of these buildings that Hitler used to do speeches in and so forth. So it's always got kind of an ominous vibe for us. But the crowd is always great and a lot of fans hadn't seen us in a long time."

"Live in Frankurt" follows 2003's "Rush in Rio" DVD, which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Music Video chart.

In addition to featuring 22 tracks from the show, "R30 Live in Frankurt" will also come with a second disc, which collects a multitude of rarely seen bits from the Rush archives, including studio footage from 1978, a sound check from 1980, and a recent rendition of "Closer to the Heart" with Barenaked Ladies' Ed Robertson. The set will also be made available as a deluxe edition, which will include two audio CDs of the Frankfurt concert, as well as various goodies, such as limited edition Dunlop guitar pick and a backstage pass.

As for the vintage footage, Lee attributed the discovery of some it to his brother, who works in the film business.

"He took it upon himself to get involved in our vault and see what the hell was lying around down there, and he discovered some of these old things that we had forgotten about," Lee said, adding that some of the clips "are kind of painful to watch! Bad hair, bad glasses. You just kind of look in wonderment like, 'Is that really me?' And you really feel how much you've changed since that time."

Meanwhile, Rush is gearing up for a new album, the follow-up to 2002's "Vapor Trails."

"We're just at the stage now where we're getting ourselves ready to do some writing," Lee reported. "So that will take place over the next six to eight months probably, and we'll gather some material together into a record."

But beforehand, more archival releases should arrive, including the long-awaited DVD releases of the group's '80s-era concert home videos "Exit Stage Left," "Grace Under Pressure" and "A Show of Hands."

"Those are being revamped," Lee said. "I think (guitarist) Alex (Lifeson) spent a good chunk of last year remixing all of those things for 5.1, and they should come out over the next couple of years. Maybe even in the next year, on a DVD. I think they're going to come out separately, from what I'm told. But I'm not sure about that."

Lastly, has Lee given any thought to following up his 2000 solo debut, "My Favorite Headache?"

"I think about it from time to time, and then I get really tired," he said with a laugh. "Rush takes up so much time and energy; it's really hard to accommodate both. I'm going to start writing virtually over the next couple of weeks, and if I end up feeling very prolific, and have stuff left over that's not Rush-suitable, you never know. I might throw something together."

Reuters/Billboard
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Kares4Rush

Re: Rush celebrates 30th with live CD/DVD

Post by Kares4Rush »

by-tor wrote:Lastly, has Lee given any thought to following up his 2000 solo debut, "My Favorite Headache?"

"I think about it from time to time, and then I get really tired," he said with a laugh. "Rush takes up so much time and energy; it's really hard to accommodate both. I'm going to start writing virtually over the next couple of weeks, and if I end up feeling very prolific, and have stuff left over that's not Rush-suitable, you never know. I might throw something together."

Reuters/Billboard [/i]
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! :shock: :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
schuette

Post by schuette »

you excited Kares ..? :-D

cheers bytor :smt023
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Thanks for sharing that.
Me

Post by Me »

Happy Festivus!
Oh, for the love of memories.... :-D

Millions of tons of frazil ice, holy melting jelly fish!
Ahoy' there captain you see that space ship? It's all there fault for not using enough peanut butter. Peanut butter you say? Why' yes, as long as the udder don't break in these heavy seas, the stars should shine down. Oh' the poor Cod, they had to be salted and at a hundred thousand dollars a pound, I forgot what it tastes like.
All except the clone kind.... ring balony, ring balony ay! ay! ay!

What the hell was that all about? Don't ask Me.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

^^^^

What he said.

:?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Well, it made me hungry! :-D

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Pizza Kares?
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

mmmmm Kares, I mean mmmmmm pizza. :D

I'm silly sometimes.
All right, most of the time, but
who is counting?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I am....

Um, lessee...one...two...Tree...seven...twenty-one...twelve...uh... :oops:

Mmmm. Pizza...

Actually I was reacting to all the seafood references in Me's post. Salted, smoked, broiled, me loves the fishies in the water or on a plate. Love peanut butter too (but not with fish). Baloney I can leave. :lol:

On Pizza I guess it would be Shrimp Pizza, t?

What do they eat in the Middle Kingdom? :)

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I have had seafood za, Kares and it SO rocks!
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Have you? I've only had Shrimp pizza. I'll bet Seafood pizza rocks the house. Seafood like shellfish or like *I* consider all seafood...from the ocean...?

Howzit done? :?

Remind me to tell sometime about Shrimp Pizza and Thanksgiving. Away at college and from home for the first time, poor and bad logistics. :roll: :-D "Ned's Pizza Treats a Pizza Right!" :P (radio commercial in Milwaukee's Marquette University when I was there for my first Thanksgiving away from home and couldn't afford otherwise--Shrimp Pizza rocked)

Good memory now but strange at the time. :roll:
Last edited by Kares4Rush on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Sorry for getting so off-track. DVD is the magic here. Rush is in a "giving mode" again. I'm not a naive child to not know there aren't buckos involved on both sides but I'm still grateful. They've timed it right and we will BITE! (or BY-t)

Yahoo!

t, contact me about recipes...(insert 'nilla wafer vanilla pudding stuff or brenty bananna stuff) ;)

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Any toppings you want can go on a za, Kares. The one I had had crab and shrimp and lobster. Quite good.

But, not as good as Rush! :-D
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Both yummy! :-D