Indie labels quit Canadian music group

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Post by by-tor »

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/04/12/1532092-cp.html

By ANGELA PACIENZA

12 April 2006

TORONTO (CP) - Six leading independent record companies, including those representing Rush and Sarah McLachlan, have left the Canadian Recording Industry Association over a disagreement about radio content rules and grant programs for emerging artists.

"It has become increasingly clear over the past few months that CRIA's position on several important music industry issues are not aligned with our best interests as independent recording companies," the group wrote in a letter to the association's president Graham Henderson.

The six companies - Nettwerk Records, Aquarius Records, the Children's Group, Linus Entertainment, Anthem Records and True North Records - said they wanted to send a clear message about where they stand. In brief, they want greater support for up-coming artists.

"(CRIA is) looking out for their best interest, and their best interest is multinationals that are not Canadian," said Ric Arboit, president of Vancouver-based Nettwerk Records.

CRIA, a non-profit trade organization, calls itself "the voice and guardian of the record industry in Canada." Its membership, which includes big international players such as Universal and Sony-BMG, represents about 95 per cent of all recordings that are made and sold in Canada, CRIA says.

The conflict came to a boil last month when proposals to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission concerning Canadian content rules for commercial radio were made public.

The CRTC is currently reviewing its Cancon policy. The last review occurred in 1998 when the quota of required Canadian music on the airwaves jumped to 35 per cent from 30 per cent.

CRIA wants the percentage to remain at 35 per cent, but has proposed a new calculating method where emerging artists would count more in the quota system than classic songs by superstar artists like Bryan Adams.

As well, CRIA's proposal recommends changes to long-standing grant programs which help fund touring by artists, producing and marketing of albums. It has also suggested the designation system for artists who record and co-write outside Canada be tweaked.

"If implemented (the proposals) would have a material negative effect on the future growth of Canadian independent music," the labels wrote in their letter.

Henderson said he understands the labels' decision to leave.

"Life in Canada for the music industry used to be a lot simpler, and it was possible for CRIA to have both major and indie members," he said.

While the indie labels agree with other work being done by CRIA, including advocating for copyright reform, they felt they could no longer be a part of the organization, said Bernie Finkelstein, who runs the country's oldest independent label, True North Records.

"We were dramatically opposed to (CRIA's) submission. We felt that there was no room for anything other than clarity," said Finkelstein, whose artist roster includes Bruce Cockburn, Colin Linden and Blackie and the Rodeo Kings

The six labels will instead look to the Canadian Independent Record Production Association to lobby the government on their behalf.

That trade organization put forth a proposal to the CRTC asking that Cancon be increased to 45 per cent.

Commercial radio quotas have always been a contentious issue for the music industry, with groups having varying opinions on what percentage would best benefit artists. The Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada, for instance, is recommending the Cancon quota be increased to 51 per cent.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Bryan Adams....Superstar artist? :razz:

*chuckles*
Don't start none...won't be none.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Is he still around? :? :roll:

Thanks for the article, by-tor.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

....and, just how old WAS Bryan Adams in the "Summer of '69" anyway? :???:
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

That was always my beef with that song too! Plagh! :P

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

yeah Kares, I think there is a serious age issue involved with him and that song...wasn't that a Bob Seger song anyway? I gotta look into that...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Bumper, Man! The video doesn't work... :(

My Significant, who is a bit older than me, always LOVED that song as it pertained to him in his youth. We even saw BA in concert together and he went ballistic during that song.

I didn't have the heart to tell him to do the math. :roll:

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Siggy sorry :cry: ....I will tell you it loaded slow when I viewed it(I wouldn't link it if I couldn't watch it), so you may wanna try again and, well you know....wait :shock: hahaha
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Kares4Rush wrote:Bumper, Man! The video doesn't work... :(

My Significant, who is a bit older than me, always LOVED that song as it pertained to him in his youth. We even saw BA in concert together and he went ballistic during that song.

I didn't have the heart to tell him to do the math. :roll:
Cmon Kares, you mean to tell me you did not cry when he did Heaven.. I thought every woman did.
Happy 2015!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Er ehm...yeah, Guilty on that...but I was a chisler then. :roll: :oops: :P

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

whats a chisler
Happy 2015!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

A kid.

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

oh duh :oops:
Happy 2015!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

wow what irony. That song from the movie Wall Street is on the radio. (don't ask me the name, it was when they were fixing up Charlie's apartment) and I am talking to Kares who lives in NYC... wow :shock:
Happy 2015!