Can he speak Serbian?

All about Alex

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Lamneth

Can he speak Serbian?

Post by Lamneth »

I'm curious because he was born in Canada and well...after growing up with english as your official language you tend to lose contact with your original language, if it can be called that. Are his parents from Serbia or are they too Canadian?
awip2062

Re: Can he speak Serbian?

Post by awip2062 »

He has mentioned that they immigrated to Canada, and about all the languages in the part of Toronto that they moved to from Fernie.

One wonders how much of his mother's tongue he remembers though. I forgot most of my first languages.
Onward and Upward!
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

What were your first languages?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Japanese and German. My mom had a tough time when I was young and with work, school, and some personal difficulties in her life then, I stayed with some other people often. The Japanese family didn't have me past when I was real young and I remember none of that, but the German family nearly ended up adopting me. I still keep in touch with them and can remember enough German to get myself in trouble. My German dad is in the early stages of Alzheimers, so it is time I get serious about relearning German fully in case he forgets English and goes back to his native tongue.
Onward and Upward!
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

awip2062 wrote:Japanese and German. My mom had a tough time when I was young and with work, school, and some personal difficulties in her life then, I stayed with some other people often. The Japanese family didn't have me past when I was real young and I remember none of that, but the German family nearly ended up adopting me. I still keep in touch with them and can remember enough German to get myself in trouble. My German dad is in the early stages of Alzheimers, so it is time I get serious about relearning German fully in case he forgets English and goes back to his native tongue.
Ouch! That was a very unfortunate combination indeed. :shock: :) So, are you part Japanese or did you just stay with a Japanese family? :?
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Ooops! Sorry, ummm...I am not Japanese, I am half Navajo and half a mixture. The Japanese family were sitters. People thought I was theirs though, since we Navajo look so similar to Japanese (and Filipinos, and Mexicans, and...)
Onward and Upward!
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

awip2062 wrote:Ooops! Sorry, ummm...I am not Japanese, I am half Navajo and half a mixture. The Japanese family were sitters. People thought I was theirs though, since we Navajo look so similar to Japanese (and Filipinos, and Mexicans, and...)
Lol, have you seen that movie "Windtalkers"? There the same is claimed. I don't think you look THAT similar, there is a similarity but not so striking one. :)
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I have seen the movie, and I even was fortunate enough to meet a Code Talker a few years back.

I think it depends on the individual as to whether or not we look like another "race." Personally, though, I was mistaken for a Japanese baby as an infant, am continually seen as Mexican, even by Mexicans, and have people come up to me and start talking to me in Spanish as a result, and I have been mistaken to be a part of a Filipino family I hang out with more than once (both as the sister of and as the daughter of people in that family).
Onward and Upward!