Permanent Waves
18%
Moving Pictures
9%

Total votes: 11

Lamneth

Best album?

Post by Lamneth »

Which would you say is the best Rush album? MOVING PICTURES is usually considered their most successful album, but I prefer their older releases such as A FAREWELL TO KINGS, HEMISPHERES and 2112. Overall, I think AFTK is the best. It has the most epic songs of all their albums, "Xanadu", "Cygnus X-1", "Cinderella Man" and the title track. I can't believe that stupid allmusic site only gave it three stars!! :x

I'd range them this way, of all the ones I've heard:

1.A Farewell to Kings
2.Hemispheres
4.Moving Pictures
5.Permanent Waves
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

I prefer the 80s version of Rush myself.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I voted for 2112.

Of the ones you put up, 2112 and AFTK are pretty much tied for me as to being my favorite. Since you had chosen AFTK, I decided to go with 2112.
Onward and Upward!
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

awip2062 wrote:I voted for 2112.

Of the ones you put up, 2112 and AFTK are pretty much tied for me as to being my favorite. Since you had chosen AFTK, I decided to go with 2112.
Ah, so it was spite, wasn't it? :razz: :-D 2112 has three great songs and three good ones, IMO. Hemispheres has only four songs, but they are all prima.
"I'm really just a phony but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned"- Frank Zappa, "Who Needs the Peace Corps?"
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

2112 for me, followed by Moving Pix, AFtK, Perm Waves, then Hemi....................other than the first 2, they change every time I hear them. :-D
This space for rent
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Normally I don't like to vote on these as I love them all for so many reasons at different times but if put into a corner then...

PERMANENT WAVES!!!!!

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
schuette

Post by schuette »

you should have an option 'cant decide' cuz I cant :-D
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

schuette wrote:you should have an option 'cant decide' cuz I cant :-D
True. :) No votes for Hemispheres yet... :( That's a slight disappointment, but I guess its because it only has four tracks. :razz:
schuette

Post by schuette »

Ohhhhhhhh I love Hemispheres!....but I also love AFTK, 2112, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves :lol: ......not in any order I hasten to add :-D
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Tolja, Lamneth, polls are baaaad. ;)

Hemispheres was the album that rocked my soul. First one I bought. It's AWESOME.

First time I was turned on to Rush it was ATWAS (althought it was "out" for years but I guess that could be my fave) and I made my way back through them right through to 2112. AFTK is prolly my fave. Hemispheres (although already "out" like the others) was the first I bought. The album is incredible.

I may sound "old" to you but I remember what it felt like seeing those songs done in concert in Kimonos. But PeW just DID it for me when it first came out when I was a kid and it never left. You may be looking at it differently.

I can't WAIT to see what comes up next. Neil say's it's awesome from neilpeart.net and I am happily there. :)

Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

I went with Waves.

Ladder & Science & Strings are slightly better
versus Camera, Witch and Vital in the "unknowns" department.
The other, " more known" songs on each cancel out.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I like the way you think MK. And I agree! :-D

Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Why, thank you Kares!

I think I'll throw in the remastered disc when I get home.
:D
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

It's so difficult to choose anything from these kind of polls. I should choose MP being the first I heard and remains my fav' album of all time. I'm primarily an 80's fan although Hemispheres is probably played here more than AFTK, 2112 and PW.

Talking of remastered Rush albums MK', I recently downloaded the entire remastered collection up to and including T4E and one can sure hear the sheen. Dont worry, I own all the albums in various forms anyway :-) .
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

So, it looks like AFTK wins. 8) Deservedly I say. I mean really, what can beat XANADU AND CYGNUS X-1 on the same record?? Fuh-get aboud it, as the Italians say. :-D