Which Rush boots would you recommend?

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

H3WMW

Which Rush boots would you recommend?

Post by H3WMW »

After looking at Ogg's "New Boot" thread, I thought I'd post this new thread about recommendations for boots (or ROIOs).

The reviews here are not my own reviews but ones which have been posted by tapers at The Digital Rush Experience website.

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com

I have at least one show from every single tour that Rush have ever done so here are my recommendations starting with a boot from the "Rush" tour....................

New In Town - Platinum Edition

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1510
Media: 1 CDr
Time: 71:15
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 82674
Source: FM Broadcast
TV Broadcast

Date: August 26, 1974
December 06, 1974

ABC's In Concert Series

DISC 1
Donna Halper Interview
Finding My Way
The Best I Can
Need Some Love
In The End
Fancy Dancer
In The Mood
Bad Boy
Here Again
Working Man
Drum Solo
What You're Doing
Garden Road
Finding My Way
The Best I Can

Another very early concert in the history of Rush. Cleveland and Rush were quite a match in the mid seventies and Rush owes much of their initial success to Cleveland radio stations and their generous airplay. The Agora can be thanked for its practice of taping live shows at the time. This is the complete show, finally. When Geddy Lee released his solo album, WMMS radio in Cleveland re-broadcast the first two Rush shows from the Agora Theater in Cleveland. Newly remastered these shows sound fantastic and this is no exception. Hands down the best sounding early Rush recording. Even if you don't like old Rush, you'll love this show. The energy and raw power comes through with such clarity that you can hear Geddy and Alex using guitar pics! As with all Digital Reproductions releases, this recording is available for free trade.
Last edited by H3WMW on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Fly By Night tour

Live Anthem 1975

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=832
Media: 1 CD
Time: 67:23
Catalog: Gypsy Eye: GE-085
Source: Studio (First Single)
Audience

Date: January 01, 1973
June 25, 1975

Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DISC 1
Finding My Way
Best I Can
Anthem
Beneath, Between, Behind
In the End
Fly By Night
Bytor and the Snowdog
Working Man / Drum Solo
In the Mood
Need Some Love
What You're Doing

Not Fade Away
You Can't Fight It

This is the best of the three known recordings from the "Fly By Night" tour. This is the only one of the three where they played a full setlist beginning to end. And, thirdly, the quality is very good. Audience, of course. Possibly an FM show. it?s a hometown show, so the crowd is into it. First of two nights, so the Boyz were fresh. Full versions of "Fly By Night" (most cut it of before the interlude or screw up the interlude, see note from Electric Ladyland) and "Beneath Between & Behind" (no other tours had the full lyrics including "Watch the cities rise...." verse. Listen and you will find its true!) complement a setlist that has only one real lacking: MAKING MEMORIES should have been included!
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Caress Of Steel tour

Stainless Steel

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=859
Time: 53:51
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 11575-8
Source: Audience (Analog Master)

Date: November 15, 1975

DISC 1
Intro / Bastille Day 5:18
Anthem 4:35
Lakeside Park 4:35
The Necromancer 13:39
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 10:55
Working Man 14:46

The Holy Grail of Rush shows has finally been found. This show comes from the 11-15-75 performance at the Rockford Amory in Rockford, Illinois. It is the first and so far only Caress of Steel tour live recording to make its way into circulation. This production is taken directly from the analog master tape, so no generational loss here.

Now not everything is perfect with this recording. The vocals a quite buried and almost non-existent at times during the performance. But by the time Lakeside Park is finished, the sound gets much better. The guitar is mixed pretty well and the drums are decent enough. The tape itself ran slow in some parts and fast in other parts of the recording. This was compensated for as well as could be done as the majority of the recording runs at the correct speed. Those sections that don't are only off by an ever so slight margin that most people will never notice. There is one 3 second tape eat 3:45 into By-Tor. The crowd noise around the taper isn't too obnoxious and at one point it is quite funny. During the mid section of By-Tor someone yells "That's the way Geddy. Show'em who's boss!".

The real treat of this performance is a full version of the Necromancer. Not the tunicated version on the '77 tour. This version is worth the price of admission alone and is a must have for all old Rush fans. The version of By-Tor and the Snow Dog is also the longer jam version with Alex's solo before it got shortened as the opening to Xanadu in later tours. All in all, an incredible show that no Rush fan should be without. Special thanks to Powrcord for taping this show and allowing us to freely trade this to any and all Rush fans. As with all Digital Reproductions recordings, it's only available via free trade and never for sale. Just visit the trading links section to find people that will gladly trade this recording for free.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

2112 tour

Tuning Man

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=860
Media: 1 CD
Time: 71:58
Catalog: Gypsy Eye: GE-118
Source: Soundboard

Date: May 30, 1976

DISC 1
Bastille Day 5:04
Anthem 4:47
Lakeside Park 4:12
2112 15:29
Fly By Night / In the Mood 4:53
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 11:22
In the End 7:12
Working Man, Finding My Way, Drum Solo 13:26
What You're Doing 5:26

The venue for this show is some what of a debate. It has been traded widely as the Nelson Center, Washington DC show. Lately it has come out that the band was actually in Rochester that night. My source has it listed as Rochester so that\'s what I will call it. If you have the 5/30/76 Washington DC show, this is the same show. Overall it is a very good recording for the time period. I believe it to be an audience recording but many argue it is a soundboard recording. Whatever. It sounds good. The band puts on a great performance despite the terrible heat which Geddy mentions often. At the beginning of By-Tor some CB interference cuts in but it only last a few seconds. Overall a very good show.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

All The World's A Stage tour

By-Tor's Battle V2.01

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=865
Time: 79:20
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 32576-9

Date: October 25, 1976

DISC 1
Bastille Day 5:08
Anthem 5:04
Lakeside Park 4:20
2112 15:47
Fly By Night 2:04
In the Mood 3:02
Something for Nothing 3:51
Guitar and Drum Jam 3:10
In the End 6:42
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 12:11
Working Man / Finding My Way / Drum Solo 14:32
Best I Can 3:22

Recorded live at the Paramount Theater in Seattle, Washington on October 25, 1976. This is a fine sounding live performance from the "AtWaS" tour. This is a newer, lower Gen source that has the complete performance this time including the famous "guitar & drum" jam. The sound is much improved, more open sounding with much clearer high end and lower tape hiss. The speed problem is also fixed on this release. This is one of those soundboards that needs to be played loud, very loud. I'm thinking this is a soundboard by the way the drums sound and the panning of the drum rolls. If it is an audience recording, it is one of the best audience recordings of all time for capturing stereo separation. This is the most devastatingly heavy Rush recording I've ever heard. They just don't sound like they are playing on this night, they sound like they're trying to bludgeon the audience! Geddy's bass has a real growl to it tonight and Alex's guitar is about as full range as I've ever heard. This is without a doubt my favorite show of the tour to listen. The energy and the power of the band is just incredible. A must have show. Special thanks to Admiral Nelson for lending us his source to use for this production. As with all Digital Reproductions recordings, it's only available via free trade and never for sale.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

A Farewell To Kings tour

Castles In The Distance

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=971
Media: 2 CDr
Time: 49:53, 42:13
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR-21778
Source: Audience

Date: February 17, 1978

DISC 1
Bastille Day 5:40
Lakeside Park 4:52
By-Tor And The Snow Dog 5:18
Xanadu 13:50
A Farewell To Kings 6:47
Something For Nothing 4:15
Cygnus X-1 9:09

DISC 2
Closer To The Heart 4:27
2112 19:16
Working Man Medley / Drum Solo 14:55
Cinderella Man 3:36

This is a very good audience recording. All the instruments can be heard fine and the band puts on a great performance. The high end dominates the mix, slightly overpowering the drums and bass. This makes for an excellent recording if you want to really concentrate on Alex's playing. The audience is very into the performance and do a lot of clapping and singing. The band seems to capture this energy and puts on what I feel is one of the best shows I have heard. The performance of Cinderella Man is excellent. The band goofs around and has a lot of fun with the song. The only negatives to the show is the middle of Cygnus X-I is cut and Cinderella Man fades out a little early. As far as the clapping, the crowd does it a lot. Not applauding, but clapping along with the music. They even do it during the drum solo. I listened to my 1988 show from Glasgow and again the crowd clapped along with the songs. Is this some Scottish tradition?
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Hemispheres tour

Buenas Nochas! Motor City

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... dingID=985
Time: 68:56, 51:24
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 20278

Date: December 02, 1978

DISC 1
Introduction 0:39
Anthem 4:18
A Passage To Bangkok 4:10
By-Tor And The Snow Dog 5:22
Xanadu 12:25
Something for Nothing 4:38
The Trees 4:42
Cygnus X-1 10:32
Hemispheres 18:36
Closer to the Heart 3:28

DISC 2
Circumstances 4:26
A Farewell to Kings 5:40
La Villa Strangiato 10:20
2112 18:54
Working Man 2:26
Bastille Day 1:44
In the Mood 2:42
Drum Solo 5:12

Ever since I heard my first ROIO from the Tour of the Hemispheres I have been anxiously awaiting a decent sounding complete concert recording from this tour that isn?t plagued by cuts in Cygnus X-1 or Hemispheres. This soundboard recording of the complete show is truly amazing in terms of sound quality (EX) and the absence of cuts in the songs make this recording a must-have for any fan of vintage Rush. Geddy?s vocals sound particularly good on this recording. Fortunately, this show is from early enough in the tour that they are still playing ?Circumstances?. About the only glitch in the show is an abrupt transition into Working Man. Personally, this is a significant concert because this is the first Rush concert in the Detroit area after I became a Rush fan in the summer of 1978. Unfortunately, I was unable to get to the show then and now thanks to Digital Reproductions I can listen to the show I almost went to some 22 years ago. Once again, the release features marvelous artwork by Bumblebee Productions. I would be surprised if we come across a better ROIO from this tour!
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

The Tour Of The Semispheres - Pre-Permanent Waves tour

The Tour Of The Semispheres - Platinum Edition

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1013
Time: 43:54, 67:54
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 91279-8
Source: Audience (1st Gen)

Date: September 12, 1979

Location: Allentown Fairgrounds, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA

DISC 1
2112 16:24
A Passage To Bangkok 3:57
By-Tor And The Snow Dog 5:34
Xanadu 12:34
The Spirit Of Radio 5:24

DISC 2
The Trees 5:03
Cygnus X-1 10:14
Hemispheres 16:34
Closer To The Heart 3:32
Freewill 6:02
Working Man 3:35
Finding My Way 0:23
Anthem 1:41
Bastille Day 1:30
In the Mood 2:42
Drum Solo 6:07
La Villa Strangiato 10:30

Taken from a first gen analog source, this is a rare show form the brief Semi Tour of Some of the Hemispheres tour. These shows served as a preview and warm up for the recording of the Permanent Waves album. This concert has a great performance of both books of Cygnus and worth having for that alone. There are a couple of sources for this concert. One is a very distant audience recording with a lot of echo and poor resolution. The other is a much closer audience tape. The sound is very "in your face" and the signal is quite strong. It does sound a little compressed and doesn't have the stereo separation of the Oslo '79 show. The instruments are quite clear and very well resolved. This is an excellent recording in both sound and performance. Definitely better than the majority of audience Hemispheres shows in circulation. As with all Digital Reproductions recordings, it's only available via free trade and never for sale.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Permanent Waves tour

La Villa Strangiato

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1364
Time: 74:44
Catalog: Seagull Records: SEA 040
Source: Radio Broadcast

Date: February 14, 1980

DISC 1
2112 15:25
The Spirit of Radio 5:32
Natural Science 8:59
Beneath, Between and Behind 2:45
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 5:27
Xanadu 13:23
Working Man / Anthem / Bastille Day / In The Mood 10:05
Drum Solo 5:35
La Villa Strangiato 10:15

Yes, that is correct, there are two ROIO's of the same show with the same name! The Seagull version is generally considered the better of the two. This is an awesome show, another required recording if you are a true Rush fan. The best part of this show to me is the version of 2112. By far and away this is my favorite performance of it. Alex is absolutely devastating on this version with some wicked use of wah-wah at the start of the song. Other reviews below give a better description of the show and to not sound like a repeat of someone else's words I'll give a little of the lighter side of reviews here. One thing to take into consideration, the bass on this recording goes really LOW. How low, well I have a dual 12" sub with 250 watts of amplification, and I blew out a dorm window with this CD! I had a hard time explaining the huge cracks in the window and the small hunk of glass missing in the corner :) It is this reason that I can assume that Moose Records chose to call their copy of this show "Taurus Pedals from Hell". I have to be careful playing this disc on high end systems because of the potential for damage! It scared the hell out of my friend when he heard it for the first time on my stereo. Actually, he was responsible for the blown window. How the bass got that low I can only guess seeing as this was recorded in '80 to tape, then broadcast, then taped again, then pressed to LP, and then transferred to CD. With the age and the number of transfers of media, it is amazing the signal is that pure.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Pre-Moving Pictures tour

Something Old, Something New

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1029
Time: 43:33, 44:30
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 93080

Date: September 30, 1980

Location: Allentown Fairgrounds, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA

DISC 1
2112 5:49
Freewill 5:51
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 5:30
Xanadu 12:15
Limelight 4:44
The Trees 4:50
Hemispheres: Prelude 4:21

DISC 2
The Spirit of Radio 5:31
Closer to the Heart 3:25
Beneath, Between, Behind 2:51
Tom Sawyer 4:54
Jacob's Ladder 8:52
A Passage to Bangkok 4:01
Natural Science (cut) 6:27

Recorded live on September 30, 1980 in Allentown, PA. This was the last show of the PeW tour, more of a short MP pre-release tour with pre-album versions of "Limelight" and "Tom Sawyer" are performed. Ok, this recording is quite unique in that it comes from the mixing board. Because of that you can hear subtle changes in the mix of the songs as the show progresses. For example, Limelight has a lot of reverb on the vocals. By-Tor and the Snow Dog has a more "compressed" stereo mix. Freewill has a more open, airy mix. So if you are expecting another St. Louis \'80 show, this isn\'t it. The source sounds fantastic, but it was not mixed for radio play and thus will sound different from the traditional soundboards many are used to hearing. The first 2 tracks come from a 2nd source and do sound very much like a fully mixed soundboard. That given, it seems to be a completely different source than the 1st tape. The remaining tracks, sans The Spirit of Radio which comes from the same source as the first two tracks, come from the 1st mixing board tape.

When I previously produced this recording, the 1st source was missing 2112 and the first minute of Freewill. Those songs could be found off the 2nd tape. I would have liked to have used the 2nd tape for the other songs because of the better mix, but the rest of the songs were plagued with some very severe distortion. The only other song off the 2nd tape that was usable was "The Spirit of Radio". On the 1st tape, that song was started by a really nasty tape eat. Part of the 2nd TSoR was missing due to a cut and was filled in with that section from the 1st tape. All in all I guess this would be shades of Prism "Cygnus Gold" except that both sources used to produce this recording were board tapes of the same show.

This is an excellent sounding show that captures everything up to the last 2 minutes of "Natural Science". So it is only 2/3rds of the show, but an excellent show nonetheless. A live recording that any Rush fan would love to have.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Moving Pictures tour

Streets Of Diversity

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1393
Time: 63:25, 57:01
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 52481-8
Source: Audience (2nd Gen)

Date: May 24, 1981

DISC 1
2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx 6:40
Freewill 6:06
Limelight 4:39
Hemispheres: Prelude 4:26
Beneath, Between and Behind 2:43
The Camera Eye 11:22
YYZ / Drum Solo 8:37
Broon's Bane 1:38
The Trees 4:32
Xanadu 12:42

DISC 2
The Spirit of Radio 5:47
Red Barchetta 6:58
Closer to the Heart 3:54
Tom Sawyer 4:55
Vital Signs 5:10
Natural Science 8:28
Working Man 1:23
Hemispheres: Armageddon 0:52
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 3:57
In the End 1:40
In the Mood 1:33
2112: Finale 2:38
La Villa Strangiato 9:46

We've tried for a long time to locate the full Providence show without much luck. Every time we'd find a new source, it turned out either to be incomplete, inferior quality or an outright deception. Finally, a legit source was found complete and intact with no cuts during any of the songs. This is a fantastic show from the MP tour, full of atmosphere and excellent sound quality. This is one of the few old audience recordings that sounds good over a home stereo, even more so for the warm analog sound it delivers. A neat thing about these old shows is hearing Geddy introducing "Tom Sawyer". Given how popular and well known the song is now, it is kind of nostalgic to remember a time when that song was brand new. This show can't be recommended enough and belongs as one of the 5 best MP audience sources now out there. No hiss reduction or noise reduction used in this production.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Exit...Stage Left tour

Ron's Vault Release #1

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1437
Time: 71:47, 42:47
Catalog: Rons Vault Release: RVR001
Source: Audience (1st Gen Analog)

Date: November 04, 1981

DISC 1
2112: Overture/Temples of Syrinx 6:39
Freewill 5:51
Limelight 4:51
Hemispheres: Prelude 4:32
Beneath, Between & Behind 2:35
Subdivisions 4:55
The Camera Eye 10:29
YYZ / Drum Solo 7:51
Broon's Bane 1:32
The Trees 4:55
Xanadu 12:24
The Spirit Of Radio 5:12

DISC 2
Red Barchetta 6:48
Closer To The Heart 3:24
Tom Sawyer 5:14
Vital Signs 4:59
Medley / Working Man / Armageddon / By-Tor and the Snow Dog / 12:09
La Villa Strangiato 10:13

This show came to me a few months ago by way of a Pink Floyd trader I've traded with for some years. He missed the fact that this show wasn't on my list and was surprised to find that it hasn't been greatly circulated so far. Apparently, he got this straight from the taper on cassette some years ago. The guy is reliable, so I'm inclined to believe him, although the evidence for the generation of this show is still anecdotal. Hence the question mark above.

Sound wise, this is a solid show, par for the course for this era. Of course, given that the other two Wembley shows completely suck sonically, this one is the best of the bunch by far.

The only changes I made to the discs I received was to split apart "Prelude" and "Beneath, Between & Behind," which were combined into one track, and combine "The Camera Eye," which was split across two tracks.

I'm putting this out there with the condition that it not be sucked up and "remastered" as anyone's production. Just putting it out there as is, and I hope it will stay that way.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

First Tour Of The Nadars - Pre-Signals tour

Live In Lakeland - Platinum Edition

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1448
Time: 57:11, 48:50
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 41182-9

Date: April 11, 1982

Location: Lakeland Civic Center Arena, Lakeland, Florida, USA

DISC 1
2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx 6:44
Freewill 6:07
Limelight 4:26
Beneath, Between & Behind 2:46
Subdivisions 5:33
The Camera Eye 11:18
YYZ / Drum Solo 8:33
Broon?s Bane 1:37
The Trees 4:50
The Analog Kid 5:11

DISC 2
The Spirit of Radio 5:36
Red Barchetta 6:53
Closer to the Heart 3:38
Tom Sawyer 5:00
Vital Signs 5:00
Working Man 1:46
Armageddon 0:50
By-Tor and the Snow Dog 3:59
In The End 1:33
In the Mood 1:31
2112: Grand Finale 2:48
La Villa Strangiato 10:09

Taken and remastered from the 1st Gen source. This is a surprisingly good sounding source as compared to the more genned versions. This is a very rare recording with pre-release versions of songs from Signals before they actually recorded the album. The recording picks up a lot of the venue acoustics, but the band remains well centered and individually discernable and separate. The overall crowd noise is quite high, but you don't hear many people around the recorder, just the high drone of the collective audience. All in all the sound is quite excellent and would be considered one of the better shows from the MP, ESL or Signals tours. Worth having for the wild "La Villa" intro alone. No noise or hiss reduction was used on this production.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Signals tour

Countdown To London

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1090
Time: 60:10, 47:50
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 52183
Source: Audience

Date: May 21, 1983

DISC 1
3 Stooges Intro 0:38
The Spirit of Radio 4:39
Tom Sawyer 5:06
Freewill 5:21
Digital Man 6:35
Subdivisions 5:20
Vital Signs 5:12
The Camera Eye 6:56
Closer to the Heart 3:11
The Analog Kid 4:47
Broon's Bane 1:32
The Trees 4:23
Red Barchetta 6:22

DISC 2
The Weapon 7:56
New World Man 3:59
Limelight 4:26
Countdown 5:50
2112: The Temples of Syrinx 6:20
Xanadu 2:26
La Villa Strangiato 3:30
In the Mood 3:01
Dancing Music 0:27
YYZ / Drum Solo (cut) 9:54

Until there is a Signals soundboard, this date will remain the best sounding date of the tour. And the source for this production, a 1st Gen tape archived to DAT, is incredible to say the least. To describe the sound of this show would require using words that would sound more like a description of heaven than that of a live recording. But this is heaven to Rush fanatics. The balance is almost perfect between the instruments. There is just the right mix of authoritative low end and ethereal high end. One listen to Neil's drum solo and one would almost swear it is a soundboard. Also, the show is complete and intact. The only cut is the last 10 seconds of the YYZ / Drum Solo. I could go on and on about how good this show sounds and how much fun it is to listen to. But rather than do that, just go out and get a copy to listen to and enjoy for yourself. Special thanks to Rubicon for helping us to acquire the source used for this production.
Bassist of Joe's Band

H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Pre-Grace Under Pressure tour

Countdown - Platinum Edition

Bookmark: http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/da ... ingID=1344
Time: 59:05, 61:34
Catalog: Digital Reproductions: DR 91883

Date: September 18, 1983

DISC 1
3 Stooges Intro 0:47
The Spirit of Radio 4:48
Tom Sawyer 5:21
Freewill 6:12
Digital Man 6:53
Kid Gloves 4:28
Subdivisions 5:45
Vital Signs 5:29
Red Sector A 5:45
Closer to the Heart 3:32
The Analog Kid 4:45
The Body Electric 5:10

DISC 2
Broon's Bane 1:41
The Trees 4:36
Red Barchetta 8:03
The Weapon 7:16
New World Man 4:15
Limelight 4:29
Countdown 6:11
2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx 6:29
Xanadu 2:26
La Villa Strangiato 3:34
In the Mood 2:32
YYZ / Drum Solo 10:39

A newly updated source taken from a complete first gen source tape. The previous version was missing several songs and was plagued by tape eats and large cuts. By far this is the definitive version of the show. The source was remarkably clean and very little tape hiss can be heard anywhere. This is a rare performance from the Pre-Grace Under Pressure tour. The sound on this recording is remarkably good all things considered. For 95% of the time it's easily EX- grade. The drums are very clear as are the bass and guitar. The audience is well behaved and are quiet around the recorder so the recording comes out really clear. But the audience on a whole is very loud on this night, obviously very enthusiastic about the rare live performance on this night. It sounds like it was recorded relatively close to the stage, possible more on Geddy's side of the stage. The pre-release versions of GUP songs are similar to the album versions except that Alex really has no idea what the solos will be yet! Kind of funny to listen to a consummate professional come up with something off the cuff! This recording will not disappoint, it is a lot of fun to listen to, especially loud. It's definitely one of the better audience recordings I've ever heard from this short tour.
Bassist of Joe's Band