The Wicker Dude?

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I must confess that I am in absolute dread of this film.

The original version of the Wicker Man is, in my opinion, one of the greatest, most chilling, interesting and thought provoking films every made. Through out, it shows and interesting contrast between the life-loving demeanor of the pagan islanders and the life denying attitude of the self-righteous christian police officer.

Furthermore, film's conclusion is shocking and chilling as the christian is led to his 'appointment with the Wicker Man'. What is equally chilling is the juxtapostion of the jolly sounding folksong with the sound of the effigy burning in the background.

Personally, I can't imagine a Hollywood production of the story having the subtle and delicate touch that Robin Hardy brought to the film.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

It's not just brit films, I saw the dvd When a Stranger Calls and would have seen the new version. I learned their was an original and didn't hear good reviews on the remake. I bought the old one and despite the middle part, I liked it. I hope to get the sequel. The man who played the villain was outstanding at playing a lunatic. You kind of feel sorry for the guy until you see the victims he killed and when he tries to kill the babysitter. :-)
I wonder why Hollywood takes a perfectly good original movie, cuts out the really good pieces that make it good, and stick in crap that makes no sense? The original film Fog had a great telling of a ghost story but the remake sticks in pieces of the past during the film's present and leaves many unanswered questions.
I love my Welshman.