Guitar reviews

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Guitar reviews

Post by ElfDude »

I'm going to continue to indulge myself by reviewing some of my guitars. Please feel free to review your guitars in here as well. I'll start with my best; the one you see in my signature.

Back in the summer of 2002 it hit me that I'd been playing guitar for 25 years. My first thought was, "I should be better than I am." My second thought was that I'd never owned a high quality guitar... I've always had bottom of the line ones. It was also a realization that, now that I was divorced, I was the one with all the decision making power when it came to my money. So... the time had come for me to buy my dream guitar... but what was my dream guitar? One was the Gibson ES-175D Steve Howe model. But those have a street price of $2800. Way to much for me to afford. There was Alex Lifeson's white Gibson ES-355. Those also turned out to be way too expensive.

So... what did I want? Well, there were all sorts of guitars that I'd ogled in the past... Strats, Pauls, 335 types... I started trying to figure out what would really give me my best bang for the buck. Then I remembered how often I'd drooled over the AE-185 in the Carvin catalogues. Manufacturer's URL http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.p ... mber=AE185.

In the past I'd heard that Carvin guitars were wonderfully playable. I'd seen Billy Sherwood play them with YES... and Alan Holdsworth plays Carvins as well...

The AE-185 intrigued me because it seemed it could do so much; cover so many different sounds. It's a neck-thru the body semi-acoustic. So it has sustain, but with the hollow sides it also has resonance (like Alex's 355). What's more, under the bridge it has a piezo pickup system so it doubles as an acoustic guitar. If you've seen Rush in Rio you see Alex use a system like this in his red PRS guitar. In both Closer to the Heart and Natural Science you hear him play both acoustic and electric sounds out of that guitar. The manufacturer describes it like this: "Jump from your favorite lead riffs to an acoustic guitar sound instantly. The semi-hollow body construction along with the solid Engleman Spruce top, acoustically designed chambering and ?-hole, gives the AE185 a sweet acoustic tone that compliments both the electric & acoustic realms of this versatile guitar." I decided to go for it.

Carvin is a cool outfit, based in California. You call them up and tell them the model of guitar you want, what kind of pickup options, woods, finishes, etc., and then they build it for you. When I made the order I also opted for coil-splitting switches and a phase switch. Now the guitar could either have Gibsonish sounds from the humbuckers or Fenderish sounds if I put it in single-coil mode. With active electronics and an EQ knob for both the electric and acoustic sides of the guitar, it was going to be a real tone factory! The hard part was choosing the color. In the end I just asked them to put a clear gloss finish over the natural wood. But a few dys after that I called them and changed it. I kept thinking that for so many years I'd thought Alex's white ES-355 was such a beautiful guitar, I asked them to make it in Pearl White instead of clear gloss. As it turns out, the PW finish tends to reflect different colors in the light, as opposed to a classic white which just looks... white. Whe taking pictures of it, it turned out to be very difficult to photograph. In one picture it might look like it has a bluish hue, and in another a creamy off-white. Up close and in person, it looks like a pearl. :)
ImageImage
To see the large version of the picture in my signature go to http://matt.purescience.com/images/carvin/carv_usa.jpg

Upon receiving the guitar, it took a while to get used to the electronics layout. Wtth the four knobs it looks like it'd be the same as a Les Paul, but it isn't at all. One knob pans between the humbuckers and the acoustic pickup. Two knobs are for EQ, and one knob is a master volume. It has two output jacks so if desired you can play in stereo (acoustic out one jack and electric out another). It has a gorgeous and wonderful feeling ebony fingerboard. The tailpiece is also made out of a lovely chunk of ebony. The neck is extrememly comfortable. It's a little bit wider than a lot of electric guitar necks. I suspect they did that to accomodate the acoustic players who buy the thing, but I really like it. Despite being a tiny bit wide, it's also nice and thin... it is so very comfortable. Since the neck runs through the length of the body, the heel is extremely smooth and reaching the 24th fret takes no effort at all.

And boy, is it ever a tone machine! Does it sound exactly like a Les Paul or a Telecaster? Of course not; it sounds like a Carvin. They have a very unique pickup design (lots more pole pieces than the typical 6... that way you get no dropouts when string bending). But it does sound mighty fine. It's great being able to sound like a solid body, semi-hollow, thick humbucker, thin and twangy single-coil, and all sorts of variations in and combinations between... and an acoustic to boot!

I currently own 7 electric and 3 acoustic guitars. If I had to reduce it down to one, this would be the one I keep.
Last edited by ElfDude on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

My own set up, at the moment, is very limited due to lack of money. At present, I've got an Encore Strat copy which is fine for bashing about at home (I can't complain as it only cost me ?50 including practice combo).

However, I would like to give special mention to a couple of instruments from my past.

First off, the first decent instrument that came into my hands was when a friend let me have his Rickenbacker 4001 bass on semi-permanent loan. This was a beautiful instrument in an orange sunburst colour. The neck was as smooth as anything and it was a real pleasure to play. Alas, after about a year, he wanted it back but I have fond memories.

The only really decent instrument I have owned was an Aria CTB-2 bass.

Once again, it had a lovely feel and quite a nice, punchy sound. Alas, while at college, I had to sell it (along with most of my cassette collection) in order to pay for things like rent, food and electricity. Unfortunately, I've not had the money to get a new bass since then. However, the wife has promised me I can have one once our financial difficulties are resolved.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I have my bass, its an emperador, 4 string 20 fret bass, from the 70's an old japanese made fender jazz knock off sears guitar. This guitar has amazing tone! , after 3 year, in near mint condition it sounds very good, it sounded good then too, i recall an old fellow used to borrow it from ym father in bar gigs because he liked it. I love this guitar, very nice rosewood fretboard. The old style all steel pickups with the rectangular magnets opposed to circular ones, the angle is easily tweaked, and has the old threaded peg style adjustable bridge. It is a 3 colour cherry burst the is transparent so you can see woodgrain that fades to black edges, just 1 tone and volume knob ( 2 knobs total) and a on off switch for each pickup that look like flashlight switches. Of course it has some dings and such on it from it being old, but o well.

My electric guitar is a squier strat i bought used, nough said. maple neck, sounds decent for a cardboard guitar.

My acoustic is very liked by me. its from the 70's also, was an uncles, a Magnum Marquis series, it is a handcrafted korean guitar. it has a cutaway but still has great sustain, ebony fretboard thats pretty smooth, has some abrassion from play. This guitar is very tonal, rather bassy as its a western style, very large body on it. This guitar plays very well.

my 12 string has bellying problems and needs bodywork, currently unplayable..
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Just read where Dweezil Zappa is in possession of Jimi's Strat (he set ablaze at the Miami Pop Festival in '68)...He wouldn't take an offer of 250,000 bucks, and it says that father (Frank) had the guitar in pieces under his staircase.......what the....?
Don't start none...won't be none.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I play a vintage American Kramer '84 Pacer Imperial, 2 h/b, with one original Schaller p/u (rhythm) and a HOT Seymour lead p/u....

I love it, and wonder why they ever stopped making them...they're a little on the heavy side, but the sustain you get from a bolt-on neck is unreal...

It's got a strat-type body, three inline knobs and the turned-down-hockey-stick-banana headstock, a-la EVH...

I recently rewired it, finding all the info I needed on the web...found out it was missing some ground connections, so that was good to know, before I wound up doing "The Sixty Hertz Shuffle"(getting shocked)

You know...that would be a cool name for a song....hahaha
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Epi Les Paul....black quilt top...cream binding and pickguard...my slice of heaven whne I do get to playing it.

I don't have a Marshall to put it through though. :(
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

sweet yyz!!! I'm looking at some myself....I really like them, but wonder how they stand up to the Gibsons...There's gotta be a tradeoff somewhere...I love the Cherry Sunburst LP Customs...I'm a tremolo freak though, and would miss that with a LP....on the other hand, with a LP I could throw away all my effects and stompboxes and plug in direct to the amp....like THIN LIZZY....WOOHOO!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

This past weekend while the #2 and #4 kiddos and I were out to Idaho for the jazz fest, my husband wanted to do something fun with #3 kiddo, so he took the lad to Guitar Center just so he could play guitars. He has his own guitar, but it is fun to be able to play all sorts of different ones. Hubby came really close to buying the boy an Epi Les, as our son is in love with them, and he plays it so sweetly.

He prefers running it through a Fender amp though. Ah well, gotta be himself.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

they sell a really cheap Epi LP with a bolt-on neck...stay away from that one....I watched a local kid at a Summer gig that had one, and it gave him nothing but trouble...

I like the Epi DOT ES-335-type, similar to Lerxt's old red ES...sweet

I use a 40W Crate amp myself...looking for a stereo mate for it...

Hey ever notice how Guitar Center always puts the best axes on the TOP row, behind the counter? hahaha

No worries, I played a SRV Strat, and they pulled it right down and wired it up....All I had to do was ask...I assume they thought I was wealthy enough to pay for it if I nuked it, but he would be in for a big surprise if I DID! hahahaha
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Eagz knows he can ask to play any git. He like trying out the RR gits, as Randy is one of his fav players. He has yet to try a box out, though, as he doesn't care for jazz and associates them with that genre. He will grow up a bit though and I expect he will own a box or two someday, simply because the sound you get is much different than the one you get from a solid body, and he goes for different sounds for different applications.

Right now he plays mainly bluesy or metal stuffs, so the Les would be good for him. He owns a Strat though. Still, with effects, he gets some great tones.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I get good tone with my Kramer, so it's totally doable....

Yeah, he'll see a use for a big-body down the road, just like Alex did...the key to getting Alex's tone is to LAY OFF the effects and use them lightly...my biggest mistake: too much distortion....took a long time to get it close...until i get his amps and custom guitars though, I'm still dreaming... :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Right now he is running through a nice distorted sound, drop d tuning. It is just this one song he does that tuning on, as that is how it was recorded.

Ooops! He switched out of it to Iron Man so his brother and sister can both play along. (Brother doesn't play his bass in drop d).
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ahhhh....but Iommi does! hahaha
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yeah, Tony does, but not for everything.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

true, but that's how you get that fat, doomsday bottomy guitar on a lot of sabbath tunes...I have a lot of respect for him, 'cuz he's missing part of a finger, but can't remember if it's the fret hand or the picking hand....fret hand I believe, 'cuz he (at one point) used a modified Lester Flatt(yep...bluegrass) technique...they call it the "Flatt Run", and I've tried it...takes some getting used to....