What Ameircans believe about Iraq, 9/11, etc.

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I just got a call from my 17 year old son. He is looking at joining the Air National Guard. Its a great deal collegewise, good chance he could go to Iraq... I would be very proud if he served, but if he were to die over there I would have to ask myself "what did he die for?" can any one answer that? :?
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:I just got a call from my 17 year old son. He is looking at joining the Air National Guard. Its a great deal collegewise, good chance he could go to Iraq... I would be very proud if he served, but if he were to die over there I would have to ask myself "what did he die for?" can any one answer that? :?
heaven forbid bro, but it would be for freedom.....anywhere in the world. We fight for others' freedom as well, and have done so for ages. Freedom is scarce, and dwindling by the day in this upside-down world.

I'd be proud of him. Besides, there's always military jobs where folks are stationed "In the rear with the gear"....Support people, etc.

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

What a wonderful testament to the kind of parents you and your wife have been to have a son who would be willing to serve like that. Such a contrast to the spoiled brat I was at that age. Heart-felt congratulations.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:What a wonderful testament to the kind of parents you and your wife have been to have a son who would be willing to serve like that. Such a contrast to the spoiled brat I was at that age. Heart-felt congratulations.

Thanks Elf.. I am proud. Sigs... We have our freedom. Sailors in ships, Marines and Soldiers in tanks and airmen in airplanes see to that. My borders are protected. What you are saying is my son might die for some Iraqi's freedom. That is the one thing I do not buy about the Iraq war. I have always been on the fence about this war on terror. I support it because I want my family and my fellow Americans to be safe however I do not think our freedom is at stake regardless if we are in Iraq or not. IMHO we should be concentrating our resources on bin Laden. I really don't care about Iraq, and if the Iraqi's cared about their own country, they would stand on their own two feet and fight for their own freedom. We have given them the push but they need to do it. But like most times, people want America to do the dirty work then condemn us on the matter in which we do it.
Happy 2015!
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Congradulations Soupy on raising a good kid

I am not any expert on war planning and can only speculate on the reason
why. Nevertheless I try and look at all the facts such as populations resources etc Iraq has petroleum, natural gas, phosphates and sulfur that's about it for natural resources 13% arable land, 0.61% permanent crops with a population as of 7/06 26,783,383---Iran petroleum, natural gas, coal, chromium, copper, lead, iron ore, magnesium, zinc and sulfur 9.78% arable land, 1.29% permanent crops population 68,688,433 as of 7/06 and the USA 18% arable land lots of natural resources with a population of 298,444,215 as of 7/06
so of course we need more petroleum to run our economy and keep it running. At any rate does anyone realize that the worlds supplie of Zinc is est. to dry up by 2008, chromium by the end of this decade copper by 2015 I for one don't believe that the internal riff in Iraq is not all about religion
it is more about control and power. Control and power may just be the reason why we are there too, if you get down to the basics. You got to ask yourself who is to blaim for global warming the seller or the user of fossil fuels? Would you want to live under control with little freedom where woman are depressed in a hot arid desert. Would you want your children to grow up learning hate. Some of the things I hear about Iraq, Iran and other countries in the middle east is hard for me to believe growing up in America. How can anyone think that they are better than another it is just so strange and foreign to me but yet I do see it here everyday too on a lesser scale but it is in everyone same as prejudices and if you say your not your a liar something we may not like about ourselves but it is there in one form or another. Humans are hatefull beings no getting around that either. When we understand our nature in nature we shall make great strides in peace too. Nonetheless we all are going to have to learn to live on less. I think maybe to much at times another question I ask myself why does one want more than they need as in millions and millions... one reason may be to be able to survive in times of war and strife. Even on this board I see how people like power and control have big egos etc...So the question is why a nobel pursuit to want to have peace and democracy thur out the world but human nature as it is now it is not going to happen so perhaps it is about our security and our freedom not to let the evil of the lesser evil get a hand up. In the end we are all living on the devils bed post and back the basics, it is about power and control for the strongest survives. President Bush may save face for increasing troops putting the responsiblity on Iraq to accomplish there own democracy and if they don't it's their own fault then he can leave the mess with the democrats. It is about weapons of mass destruction too as if Iran accomplishs their directive we need Iraq for our strategy so it is about our freedom too especially if they want to kill us
such has been said so either now or later what do you choose. One more thing if you can string this mess that I wrote together give yourself a pat on the back because I think to thick in a crooked line...sorry.
One could say all the money spent would of been spent on securing our boarders and helping the enviorment but what good would that do if nukes started raining down so we shall go down the road of the sword and see what happens.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Good one kev...

War on terror for our freedom my fucking ass...I can't believe people actually believe that.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/ ... /2724.aspx

http://www.worldreports.org/news
We're all mad here!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:
ElfDude wrote:What a wonderful testament to the kind of parents you and your wife have been to have a son who would be willing to serve like that. Such a contrast to the spoiled brat I was at that age. Heart-felt congratulations.

Thanks Elf.. I am proud. Sigs... We have our freedom. Sailors in ships, Marines and Soldiers in tanks and airmen in airplanes see to that. My borders are protected. What you are saying is my son might die for some Iraqi's freedom. That is the one thing I do not buy about the Iraq war. I have always been on the fence about this war on terror. I support it because I want my family and my fellow Americans to be safe however I do not think our freedom is at stake regardless if we are in Iraq or not. IMHO we should be concentrating our resources on bin Laden. I really don't care about Iraq, and if the Iraqi's cared about their own country, they would stand on their own two feet and fight for their own freedom. We have given them the push but they need to do it. But like most times, people want America to do the dirty work then condemn us on the matter in which we do it.
I respect that opinion Soup. Just the same, you should still be proud of your son for taking the initiative. If it's any consolation, I think this is the last push over there....if nothing changes this time - they're on their own.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:Congradulations Soupy on raising a good kid

I am not any expert on war planning and can only speculate on the reason
why. Nevertheless I try and look at all the facts such as populations resources etc Iraq has petroleum, natural gas, phosphates and sulfur that's about it for natural resources 13% arable land, 0.61% permanent crops with a population as of 7/06 26,783,383---Iran petroleum, natural gas, coal, chromium, copper, lead, iron ore, magnesium, zinc and sulfur 9.78% arable land, 1.29% permanent crops population 68,688,433 as of 7/06 and the USA 18% arable land lots of natural resources with a population of 298,444,215 as of 7/06
so of course we need more petroleum to run our economy and keep it running. At any rate does anyone realize that the worlds supplie of Zinc is est. to dry up by 2008, chromium by the end of this decade copper by 2015 I for one don't believe that the internal riff in Iraq is not all about religion
it is more about control and power. Control and power may just be the reason why we are there too, if you get down to the basics. You got to ask yourself who is to blaim for global warming the seller or the user of fossil fuels? Would you want to live under control with little freedom where woman are depressed in a hot arid desert. Would you want your children to grow up learning hate. Some of the things I hear about Iraq, Iran and other countries in the middle east is hard for me to believe growing up in America. How can anyone think that they are better than another it is just so strange and foreign to me but yet I do see it here everyday too on a lesser scale but it is in everyone same as prejudices and if you say your not your a liar something we may not like about ourselves but it is there in one form or another. Humans are hatefull beings no getting around that either. When we understand our nature in nature we shall make great strides in peace too. Nonetheless we all are going to have to learn to live on less. I think maybe to much at times another question I ask myself why does one want more than they need as in millions and millions... one reason may be to be able to survive in times of war and strife. Even on this board I see how people like power and control have big egos etc...So the question is why a nobel pursuit to want to have peace and democracy thur out the world but human nature as it is now it is not going to happen so perhaps it is about our security and our freedom not to let the evil of the lesser evil get a hand up. In the end we are all living on the devils bed post and back the basics, it is about power and control for the strongest survives. President Bush may save face for increasing troops putting the responsiblity on Iraq to accomplish there own democracy and if they don't it's their own fault then he can leave the mess with the democrats. It is about weapons of mass destruction too as if Iran accomplishs their directive we need Iraq for our strategy so it is about our freedom too especially if they want to kill us
such has been said so either now or later what do you choose. One more thing if you can string this mess that I wrote together give yourself a pat on the back because I think to thick in a crooked line...sorry.
One could say all the money spent would of been spent on securing our boarders and helping the enviorment but what good would that do if nukes started raining down so we shall go down the road of the sword and see what happens.
Everything is not always the way it seems
Gore, Bush...global warming and war, cause and effect, power and control
I don't know, but I do know this... there's a rat in the cheese pile.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

A fat one with rabies :-D
We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Xanadu wrote:A fat one with rabies :-D
Oh, leave Ted Kennedy alone! :-D

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Haha! Nice one, Elf :-D

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Haha! Nice one, Elf :-D

BBO! I haven't seen you in a while!

*hugs BBO*
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Hello, my friend. Yes, I've been dealing with great sadness for a while, but I've come out the other side of it and feel pretty darned good today.

How're things on your end?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Owlie..........*Snaps BBO with a towel, ala locker room*

Howzit bruddah.

Hey man, that's nacho cheese!!!!!!!!! :razz: :razz: :-D :lol:
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Hey, buddy! Ouch! Watch the junk, snapperhead! :shock: :-D