John Peel

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

John Peel

Post by schuette »

One of the most influential DJ's ever died yesterday aged 65.
"John Peel was among the first DJs to understand the impact of punk rock, playing the Ramones, the Clash and the Sex Pistols on Radio 1 before any other mainstream presenter.

He encouraged bands such as the Smiths, the Cure, Pulp, Keane, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Undertones, Joy Division and more recently the White Stripes.

Peel also played reggae and hiphop ahead of any other British DJ, and many modern rock stars owe a part of their success to him."

I'll miss his voice, I grew up listening to him and remember thinking'good on you for playing that band' I also remember thinking 'what the hell are you playing The Smiths for' (no offence to Smith fans...)
The world of music has lost another great legend ..he didn't like being called a legend but in my eyes he has been for years...
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

It is sad to see him go. I must admit that I didn't always agree with him but I admired the way he stuck to his guns.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Yes, I expected either of you to post this. I found out yesterday on the radio and was shocked to say the least. I had a good friend who was an avid listener and many an evening did I sit and endure his electic choice of music but sure enough the odd gem would elevate the experience.
Very very sad. To think he was presenting at Radio 1 since '67, the year I was born.
schuette

Post by schuette »

he did play the biggest load of shit at times :shock: :-)
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Not as bad as what's on Radio 1 now.

Anyway, if I remember right, he was the one who played, one night, a cover of D'Ya Think I'm Sexy by The Hybrid Kids which was a stroke of genius. i really wish I still had that on tape - it was hysterical
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
schuette

Post by schuette »

that's very true :-D