Would you wave your personal freedoms?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Brother

Would you wave your personal freedoms?

Post by Big Brother »

If you want to be safe 24/7 answer is yes.

It's a fair trade no?

God watches you doing them things you ain't suppost to be doing anyways you bad boy/girl you :P

So the question is, in a time of uncertainty, would you give up your privacy and personal freedoms to be safe from crime and terrorism?

P.S.
Can I have yer Civil Liberties, please :cry: :oops: :evil:
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

no.
Big Brother

Post by Big Brother »

It doesn't hurt to ask 8)
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

:razz: :-D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

There's always the old quote...

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty."

--Benjamin Franklin
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

While I do not agree with Ben in all areas, I must agree with him on this one.

I also do not want to give up our state sovereignty to the UN, but I think that our rights will be taken in the name of security (pretty much all of them, as many have already been) and also that the UN or some other entity will someday control the US. We are dying.
Onward and Upward!
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

some people need their personal freedoms removed. immediately.

i think if you've been caught with drugs, you should be watched. if you've been suspected and you've said you're clean, you should be watched without your knowledge.

hey, i'm just a kid. what do i know? :P

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
Big Brother

Post by Big Brother »

Convicted sex offenders, drug dealers and violent offenders do not deserve freedoms.

However, the whole forgiveness thing throws a wrench in those gears.

The u.k. was considering implantic monitoring devices on sex offenders.

First it's convicts followed...then...average joe gets tagged.

"It's the end of the world as we know it!"
-Forgot who sings this song :oops:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

A government without controls is a government out of control.
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Aren't we supposed to be about "checks and balances?" Three branches of government all accountable to eachother. In a "perfect" world with the "people" speaking ultimately for it all.

As jaded and pissed we as we all can be right now about things, the vote DOES count still and we are still babies learning it. It's still new. Just because we all can't remember another way in our lifetimes isn't necessarily a reason to think it "old, corrupt and established this way"...well, people fought HARD for such an ideal and I think we must keep it in perspective for the purest form it is supposed to take. WE THE PEOPLE...

My Mom said something to me as a child I'll never forget...that Democracy is still in it's infancy (only a bit over 200 years old) in the larger scheme of things historically and is VERY delicate. The people can rant and rave and they will but it is actually POSSIBLE to VOTE to disallow the VOTE in our system. THAT'S how scary things can get. With the freedoms we have we can actually CHOOSE to take away our freedoms.

Let's hope it doesn't. Get LOUD people. As "flawed" as things seem, it's the best we have. :)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Good post, eh?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, H and I voted. All our voting in this county is done by mail and we returned ours already.
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

H has been democratically deflowered!!! Yay! Hats off to you my dear drummergirl!!!

Actually, Elfie, I'm a closet Commie. :evil: NOT!!! :-D

Seriously, I can't imagine what this country was like before women were allowed to vote. I was on FIRE when I hit 18 and registered. I was so proud to pull the lever for the first time. Really.

I'm sure many remember before Black people were even allowed the vote (unthinkable now, right?) and now candidates are climbing over themselves for the demographic.

Again, the little birdy is learning to fly. It gets better and better, hopefully. Hopefully the word will spread and each American will realize it is not only a right but a priviledge and a duty to say what goes on in this country. I'm NOT a flag waver at ALL! I get disgusted along with the rest of peeps.

My Dad was raised a Democrat and is now a full-fledged Conservative Republican. My sister, raised in a Republican family rebelled and is so left wing she falls off Columbus' compass when the world was still "flat."

I happen to be registered Independent since I'm 18 since I don't wholeheartedly agree with either major party on all issues and never intentionally vote a straight ticket without thinking (learning) about the candidates. (oooh, who cares, Kares?) I guess I lean more Conservative since I've seen Government Glut take too much away (personal opinion...not preaching).

Anyway, my point is...Excercise your FREEDOMS!!! VOTE!!! Otherwise I don't want to hear any big, fat, flopping mouths complain about things unless they did the only thing they CAN do about things. The first thing, among others is to vote or shut up. :)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Big Brother wrote:"It's the end of the world as we know it!"
-Forgot who sings this song :oops:
R.E.M.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Kares4Rush wrote:I was on FIRE when I hit 18 and registered. I was so proud to pull the lever for the first time. Really.
Funny story about registering....not about voting, but for selective service (yeah, I know, but when do we stay on topic? :-D )

Anyway, shortly after I turned 22, I received a notice from our friendly U.S. government reminding me that I was required by law to register with Selective Service, and that they had no record of my being registered. They gave me 10 days from the date of the letter to register, and politely threatened me with legal action if I didn't comply. Well, it's true, I never registered, I never had too, since I joined the military (LAARNG) one month after turing 17, and people in the service don't have to register. However, we all know that paper snafu's happen, and they might not have realized that I was already serving in the military, right? Right? It could be an honest mistake. Sure it could, with one exception...the letter I recieved was addressed to :

EN2 John C. Nichel USN
USS Ortolan (ASR-22)
FPO Miami, Florida 34092

WTF? :???:
Last edited by by-tor on Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!