British Election

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

British Election

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Blair to call British general election in February: report

LONDON (AFP) - Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair is to call a general election in February rather than May or later in 2005 as had been expected, two leading British newspapers said.

Blair has ordered top election strategist Alan Milburn to launch a television and poster advertising campaign in the New Year under the slogan "Britain is Working", the Sunday Telegraph and the Sunday Times reported, without disclosing their sources.

The February poll is favoured by the prime minister to maximise his present opinion poll advantage over Michael Howard and his main opposition Conservative party, the newspapers said.

In addition, Blair hopes that Labour will benefit from a "Baghdad bounce", following what he hopes will be the successful staging of elections in Iraq at the end of January, they said.

Yahoo News

Oh boy, after the months of discussion about the US election, here's something I'll be able to get my teeth in.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Slaine mac Roth

Snap election reports 'speculation'

07:50am 31st October 2004

Downing Street has sought to play down suggestions that Tony Blair may call a snap general election early next year.

Both The Sunday Telegraph and The Sunday Times reported that the Prime Minister's "closest aides" have been instructed to draw up plans for an election as soon as February.

Both newspapers said that Alan Milburn, Labour's head of elections strategy, has played a key role in the plan, which will include a New Year advertising blitz.

New Labour's campaign, both newspapers agreed, would be centred around the slogan "Britain is Working".

A No 10 spokesman urged caution over the claims, describing the suggestion of a February poll as "idle speculation".

A Labour Party spokesman said that the election date was ultimately a matter for Mr Blair, but added that he was unaware of anything to suggest that it would be in February.

Most commentators have been expecting an election on May 5.

But the latest speculation suggests that Mr Blair favours a February poll in order to exploit his current opinion poll lead over Conservative leader Michael Howard.

He was also said to be hoping that he might benefit from a "Baghdad bounce" if elections planned for Iraq in January pass off relatively smoothly.

The disadvantage of the strategy would be that Mr Blair would be open to criticism that he was seeking to 'cut and run' after less then four years of a Parliamentary term. The last election was in June 2001.

Daily Mail on-line
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
schuette

Post by schuette »

It doesn't really make any difference to me as Scotland will still end up getting run by an English party......the Scottish Parliament is just a token gesture, yes it gets to decide on some issues but the more important ones still get decided by London.
I'll be voting SNP, although I have to admit that would be just until Scotland was independent, they're are the only party around just now that can make that happen. When Scotland gets independent...aye I know we've got a snowballs chance in hell of that happening...I will then take a more serious look at other Scottish parties.
Last edited by schuette on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slaine mac Roth

Unfortunately for me the MRLP doesn't put forward a candidate near me
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

When is Britain's election normally held? May?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

ElfDude wrote:When is Britain's election normally held? May?
Thursday.

No particular time of year - the PM chooses a date. But always on a Thursday.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Heh... I think our are always on Tuesday...

Certainly he has a time frame in which he must call an election... otherwise, once he was elected he could just never call another election and remain in power until he dies (kinda like Castro...) :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?