Post by 3 travelers »

Yestermorrow wrote:The Heart of Cygnus

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/E_SUM_N/CYGNUS.HTM
Most excellent pic .....
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

oo that's so pretty!! :-D
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

happysmilies007 wrote:oo that's so pretty!! :-D
It is lovely, isn't it! Check out this Celestial Swan and be sure to read below it! Is our Neil a smarty or what?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960515.html
Yestermorrow

Deneb

Post by Yestermorrow »

Deneb is Arabic for "the tail" and this star is the tail of the Cygnus constellation, a great swan flying southward down the Milky Way...

http://exobio.ucsd.edu/Astronomy/starlist.htm

No pictures here, but the information in Cygnus X-1 is fascinating, including the fact that "Black holes can eat, but they cannot hunt!"
Last edited by Yestermorrow on Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Six stars of the Northern Cross
In mourning for their sister's loss
In a final flash of glory
Nevermore to grace the night...

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/M45.HTM

Lost Pleiad

The `lost Pleiad' legend came about to explain why only six are easily visible to the unaided eye. This sister is variously said to be Electra, who veiled her face at the burning of Troy, appearing to mortals afterwards only as a comet; or Merope (interestingly enough who in legend, was married to Sisyphus), who was shamed for marrying a mortal; or Cel?no, who was struck by a thunderbolt. Missing Pleiad myths also appear in other cultures.
schuette

Post by schuette »

you can take over my job in the Astronomy thread since I've neglected it :-)
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

schuette wrote:you can take over my job in the Astronomy thread since I've neglected it :-)
Maybe you had better hang on to it, schu! I just happened to have a snow day with not much work to do yesterday. I have no idea when I'll get back to it again, but I'll hunt for yours. Thanks for letting me know it is there! I should have looked deeper before I posted, but was so interested in some of the more obscure things I had found I posted without looking!

It's nice to know another starstruck person! (Actually, at my house Starstruck is my cat. You can see the blonde streak where the star went sailing past the top of her head.)

Did the groundhog see his shadow in your part of the world? He didn't here... too much snow.
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Yestermorrow wrote:
schuette wrote:you can take over my job in the Astronomy thread since I've neglected it :-)
Maybe you had better hang on to it, schu! I just happened to have a snow day with not much work to do yesterday. I have no idea when I'll get back to it again, but I'll hunt for yours. Thanks for letting me know it is there! I should have looked deeper before I posted, but was so interested in some of the more obscure things I had found I posted without looking!

It's nice to know another starstruck person! (Actually, at my house Starstruck is my cat. You can see the blonde streak where the star went sailing past the top of her head.)

Did the groundhog see his shadow in your part of the world? He didn't here... too much snow.
He did in Pennsylvania.... which means like 6 more years of winter :(
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Me

Post by Me »

Six weeks, but who's counting...Since 1886 Puxatawny Phill saw his shawdow 95 times, 14 times he didn't and 9 times no record. Today we'll add another shawdow day.

Cool pictures along with a bit of history Yestermorrow.
Our imagination reaches into the stars
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Me wrote:Six weeks, but who's counting...Since 1886 Puxatawny Phill saw his shawdow 95 times, 14 times he didn't and 9 times no record. Today we'll add another shawdow day.

Cool pictures along with a bit of history Yestermorrow.
And all Rushians are made of the dust of the stars. The photo for today indicates NASA thinks the same thing in the last line of the text.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050202.html
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Me wrote: Cool pictures along with a bit of history Yestermorrow.
...and the oceans flow through my veins.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/ ... hen=google

The end of the article says there are only 500 true Blue Whales left. Since the picture was taken in Sri Lanka, I can't help but wonder what the tsunami did to hasten their extinction. There is so much hunan tragedy there that it will be many years before we know, I'm sure... but I'd give anything (almost) to see one of the Leviathons of the Deep before my time is done.

http://www.earthwindow.com/blue.html
Me

Post by Me »

I'm not a scientist but I'd say the Blue Whales have not rebounded because lack of food. Cause... over fishing and polution
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
schuette

Post by schuette »

mankind will have had his hand in the 'extinction' .....our race has a lot to answer for!

and yester we dont get groundhogs here.......but I would have loved to have had more snow........we only had one day of it this year and it had melted by the time the kids got out of school :(
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

schuette wrote:mankind will have had his hand in the 'extinction' .....our race has a lot to answer for!

and yester we dont get groundhogs here.......but I would have loved to have had more snow........we only had one day of it this year and it had melted by the time the kids got out of school :(
I'm not used to a lot of snow either, schu, but this one was grand! On my way to the store yesterday, I saw an 8' Snoopy made out of snow. Ears and nose of black felt, and everything was just perfect. It was so much fun, I circled the block to see it again. (((chanting)))) Snow, Snow, SNOW for schu's kidlings!!!

Me, part of it may be food, but another account I read said they are so few and so scatttered that it's not unusual for them to swim 3 years without seeing another of their kind. That's very lonely! How sad when a heart the size of a Volkswagon breaks of loneliness because of man's greed.