By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Have You Read?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Neil Peart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you read:
Masked Rider
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ghost Rider
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Travelling Music
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Two of the three (tell us which two, please)
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
All three (tell us which three, please *wink*)
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
None of the above, cuz you don't believe drummers can write books
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Message
ElfDude



Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 11084
Location: In the shadows of the everlasting hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soup... I shared some of your feelings while reading too.

A friend of mine recently read it, and his comment to me was something like, "Did you get the impression that he would have gotten better a lot quicker if he'd just gotten back to work instead of dropping out of life for so long?"

Umm... yes, I did. Smile

But I still love the book.
_________________
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Soup4Rush



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 17561

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. he is a very intelligent man and very well spoken..
_________________
Happy 2015!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
awip2062



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 25543

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just as messed up, if not more, than we here at BT! LOL
_________________
Onward and Upward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Soup4Rush



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 17561

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, I thought of the Rush chicks while reading about the part where the girl walking her dog smiled at him and how he never thought he was an attractive guy.. boy, if he read some of the posts around here, can you imagine what he would say?? made me laugh thinking about it..
_________________
Happy 2015!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
awip2062



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 25543

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blushes thinking of some of her old posts*

Man, we can get a bit crazy, can't we? LOL
_________________
Onward and Upward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Walkinghairball



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 25118
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't have this one yet.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!


Please.

_________________
This space for rent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soup4Rush



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 17561

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I thought I was the only one around here who had not read Ghost Rider yet.. Nice to know I am not the only slacker.. Razz
_________________
Happy 2015!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Big Blue Owl



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Posts: 7469
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soup4Rush wrote:


don't you think it was kind of selfish of him in regards to his family and friends to go off on such a dangerous excursion? without anybody else? in his state of mind.. I wondered how many of his friends or family wondered if they would ever see him alive again. From what I have read he seems kind of selfish and does not like to be bothered by people.. Maybe I am missing something... some of what he wrote was kind of mean too, like he was blaming the kid for him putting diesel fuel in his gas tank, or the wallowing middle age hippos around the buffet table..


I have to admit, Neil has become one of my favorite writers because of his vivid scene painting and honesty.

The little jerk did fill his tank with diesel, the hippos around the buffet are dangerously, disgustingly self-indulgent. I can see why he would wonder why other people should be allowed to live on when his love's lives are snuffed. I believe that if he didn't go on this search, he would be dead.

I'm very glad he wrote these stories down for us.
_________________
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ElfDude



Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 11084
Location: In the shadows of the everlasting hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:


don't you think it was kind of selfish of him in regards to his family and friends to go off on such a dangerous excursion? without anybody else? in his state of mind.. I wondered how many of his friends or family wondered if they would ever see him alive again. From what I have read he seems kind of selfish and does not like to be bothered by people.. Maybe I am missing something... some of what he wrote was kind of mean too, like he was blaming the kid for him putting diesel fuel in his gas tank, or the wallowing middle age hippos around the buffet table..


I have to admit, Neil has become one of my favorite writers because of his vivid scene painting and honesty.

The little jerk did fill his tank with diesel, the hippos around the buffet are dangerously, disgustingly self-indulgent. I can see why he would wonder why other people should be allowed to live on when his love's lives are snuffed. I believe that if he didn't go on this search, he would be dead.

I'm very glad he wrote these stories down for us.


Ditto that as well. I used to read Ghost Rider at least once a year for a few years after I lost my wife.

Leon, stop reading now. SPOILER ALERT!

I did notice that almost every time he griped about someone around him, it was usually followed by some sort of self-disparaging (sp?) remark. He was upset with almost everyone, himself included.

And as to the diesel incident, didn't he make sure to point out that he wasn't mad at the kid himself, just the fact that it had happened?
_________________
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Soup4Rush



Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 17561

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread the diesel in the gastank part.. BBO was right.. it was the kid's fault as he handed the wrong nozzle to Neil.. and he did actually feel sorry for the kid.. my bad.. Embarassed sorry, I need to read slower.
_________________
Happy 2015!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Walkinghairball



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 25118
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Peering thru one eye* I'm not reading nuthin'.


Not that eye Soup.
_________________
This space for rent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Blue Owl



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Posts: 7469
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soup4Rush wrote:
I just reread the diesel in the gastank part.. BBO was right.. it was the kid's fault as he handed the wrong nozzle to Neil.. and he did actually feel sorry for the kid.. my bad.. Embarassed sorry, I need to read slower.


Nothing to be sorry about, Soup!

I finished Roadshow yesterday and I was sad to see it end. So that's all of them for me. I think I'll do a hard science fiction (like having some sherbet between courses to clean the palate) then start over with Masked Rider. I didn't give that one enough attention when I read it first time.
_________________
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ElfDude



Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 11084
Location: In the shadows of the everlasting hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to read Masked Rider and Traveling Music.

I recently read My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. I thought it was so good that I'm reading it out loud to my daughters. He's a remarkable man.
_________________
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Big Blue Owl



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Posts: 7469
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElfDude wrote:


I recently read My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. I thought it was so good that I'm reading it out loud to my daughters. He's a remarkable man.


But...but...
I won't say it.
_________________
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ElfDude



Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 11084
Location: In the shadows of the everlasting hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:


I recently read My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. I thought it was so good that I'm reading it out loud to my daughters. He's a remarkable man.


But...but...
I won't say it.


A remarkable man who had some serious lies told about him. In the book he doesn't go into detail about what they were. I think it's fairly kid-safe.
_________________
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Neil Peart All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group