Katrina

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:Here's one I've heard asked before. Should we be rebuilding that city, or is that a stupid idea?

Supposedly it's dropping further and further below sea level as time goes by. Are we just asking for more trouble?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I think they should let it sink into the sea. Or maybe build a giant shit-prison and ship all the illegal idiots there to rot and wait for the next catastrophe. Talk about draining the economy and leeching off of hard working shlubs like you and me.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Here's one I've heard asked before. Should we be rebuilding that city, or is that a stupid idea?

Supposedly it's dropping further and further below sea level as time goes by. Are we just asking for more trouble?
IMHO, I think we should give it back to France and let THEM deal with it. It would be an ideal place to cower and HIDE. :twisted:
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I think they should let it sink into the sea. Or maybe build a giant shit-prison and ship all the illegal idiots there to rot and wait for the next catastrophe. Talk about draining the economy and leeching off of hard working shlubs like you and me.
Was that sarcastic or serious? :?

I've also lost my ability to distinguish between what's cute and what's idiotic...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:I think they should let it sink into the sea. Or maybe build a giant shit-prison and ship all the illegal idiots there to rot and wait for the next catastrophe. Talk about draining the economy and leeching off of hard working shlubs like you and me.
Was that sarcastic or serious? :?

I've also lost my ability to distinguish between what's cute and what's idiotic...
My idea would be idiotic, but possible. lol
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Matt, I think we should let it be.

I mean, come on, if the oceans are rising due to global warming....we aren't Holland, ya know!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Matt, I think we should let it be.

I mean, come on, if the oceans are rising due to global warming....we aren't Holland, ya know!
In all seriousness, it seems that if you're a liberal who believes in oceans rising due to global warming, then it seems you should really want to relocate the city or something.

As to that idea... does a melting glacier really cause the ocean to rise? Those glaciers are already in the ocean, aren't they?
I mean... if I have a full glass of water with a bunch of ice cubes in it, and the ice cubes melt, the water level doesn't rise and make the glass overflow.

Or am I being oversimplistic here and showing my ignorance again?
Last edited by ElfDude on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I thought you said you were a liberal. :razz: :shock: :-D
Happy 2015!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Soup4Rush wrote:
I thought you said you were a liberal. :razz: :shock: :-D
S'why I asked if it was sarcasm. 8)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, we could do an experiment and see. First we fill as glass with ice, then add water all the way to the top.

Next, we walk away and let 'er melt.

Then we see if we have to wipe up the mess.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I said I was a Liberal...not a bleeding heart Liberal. First I am an American, and damned f'ing proud to have the right to my oppinions and to what I have wrought. If someone (anyone) thinks they can steal from me without a fight, they are utterly wrong.
I DO HATE illegal immigration. I DO HATE criming, lazy, murderous scroungers. I also think that the term Liberal has lost much of it's meaning, just as the term Conservative has. I think I actually have a balance of both, each jockeying for position, but always searching for what is right, constitutional and logical. I'm not what one would call religious, but I believe that thou shalt not kill, turn the other cheek (once), then eye for an eye. I'd like to see ashes to ashes, dust to dust be delayed for awhile, though. It would be nice to be able to live out my natural life without being vaporized.

I stand by my idiotic suggestion and promise many more :razz:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

^^^^^^^^^

But more than all of that, you're a great guy!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Thanks, Elf. You're not so bad yourself :-D Man, I wish we could hang out.

I'm sure we all just want what's right and good. Finding out exactly what that is can be the most difficult struggle.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Thanks, Elf. You're not so bad yourself :-D Man, I wish we could hang out.

I'm sure we all just want what's right and good. Finding out exactly what that is can be the most difficult struggle.

Not so hard to do Owlie, just take out the bullshit politics, the greed, corruption and crooked agendas, and its party time. And yes, I mean on both sides.

Ok so it's hard to do that, but I still say it's party time. :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

You reminded me of a few years ago, talking to a co-worker from Mexico... really smart guy.

The time was soon coming where he would no longer be able to stay in the US and work legally. Either he and his wife had to become citizens or they needed to go back to Mexico. It was kind of tough for him. He knew that the opportunities were far greater here, but he did miss his native culture. I remember him saying, "In Mexico, everyone's always partying, man. And I mean that in a good way. Their country is falling apart, but they can always find something to celebrate." :)

In the end, the whole family became US citizens. :cheers: He just keeps climbing the ladder at my company and is doing great.