Katrina

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Interesting that HBO is showing Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke"
documentary on this dubious anniversary.

Watched all 5 or so hours of it last night.

There are some heartbreaking survivors' personal accounts in it.
I hope the Lower 9th folks are able hold onto their land.

There's still a massive 9th Ward land-grab going on from what they say.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Your welcome, Hairy!

I dropped the jazz man a couple of bucks and asked if it would be ok to take his picture, he seemed like a nice enough guy.
That was in the French Quarter which is safe and full of artists from the street painters to fancy galeries, all sorts of bands gather and play and not just jazz either. The 9th ward is where you need to avoid if your not the adventurous type...but then again the lower 9th ward is no more, still a tuff place. During day light hours if your not looking for certain things and mind your own bussiness, your usually alright show no fear and don't be an asshole.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote: During day light hours if your not looking for certain things and mind your own bussiness, your usually alright show no fear and don't be an asshole.
Good advice for when out and about in general!
Onward and Upward!
Mr. Potatoe Head

It is really disgusting at times what this country has become. Just look at New Orleans for example. The world didn't know all the poverty existed till Katrina then we messed up a good opportunity to make things a little better.
With my 360 eyes though looking at all the aspects of everything the poor, the middle class, the rich it's hard to make a hamburger sometimes. I know it hasn't been easy for me or my family, nothing was ever given to us we worked for it and you have to scratch and claw to try and succeed ...but that's all relative anyway. I saw many, many blacks just sitting around with the mess at their feet. I can understand at first there is shock that sets in but that was 5 & 6 months after the storm. I took a week off when tragedy stuck us...but the shock and crippling thoughts hung around for quite sometime after that, yet I knew you got to keep going in the face of despair. There is an obvious disparity among the different cultures...yet most things are a struggle in life. When I was in New Orleans I suggested, they start a conservation corp using some of the billions being spent (and wasted) putting these people back to work? Nothing was ever done like that, just people complaining and complaining asking why didn't the government help us, where has all the money gone...etc. I heard the red cross built new offices in NYC with some of the money designated for relief efforts, that's not right, more corporate bull shit. I have helped with a couple of hurricanes and will continue to do so...but when I tell you there is a tremendous amount of waste, I am telling the truth. If I had the capital I would start a non profit company with a select group and a plan in place to go to these disaster areas and set up programs like a conservation corp and get the people working right away cleaning up of course using some money allocated for disaster it's a win win win for the people to have pride in themselves and our government to do something worth while instead of dishing out millions to huge corparations so the can take a cut and dish some out to the next and so on and son one till the small guys do the actual work it's nothing but waste on top of waste and not enough of the money finds it way back into the wheels of the communtiy needing it the most, it's just discusting.
Mr. Potatoe Head

For more infomation on Katrina and other concerns around the globe, I suggest you go to this web site

http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl

I try and watch Amy Goodman's show everynight.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

The documentary showed how sturdy the levees are that protect parts of the Netherlands....

There's no excuse for not being able to match that quality of construction here. None.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:The documentary showed how sturdy the levees are that protect parts of the Netherlands....

There's no excuse for not being able to match that quality of construction here. None.
Wasn't there was a history there of state and/or local requesting funds to fix up the levees and then using the money for other things?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:The documentary showed how sturdy the levees are that protect parts of the Netherlands....

Wasn't there was a history there of state and/or local requesting funds to fix up the levees and then using the money for other things?
The Army Corps of Engineers (no offense to anyone) has had complete control of the project since jump street, and did it THEIR way.

They even showed footage of them BLOWING THEM UP in previous hurricanes to protect the French Quarter.

It's been a project-in-progress since its INCEPTION back in the 40's.

It seems like it will never be finished.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

The Army Corps of Engineers (no offense to anyone) has had complete control of the project since jump street, and did it THEIR way.
Not arguing, just seeking information. So, neither the local nor the state government there ever had anything to do with the levees?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

Not arguing, just seeking information. So, neither the local nor the state government there ever had anything to do with the levees?
Understood Elf, and as far as I can tell, the ACE has had the reigns the whole time.
Mr. Potatoe Head

That's wrong the corp wasn't the first ones to dam up the area. I am not sure if it was local or state ...but they built earthern dams on the Missippi
that failed time and again so the army corp took over. Cygs is correct they did blow up the dams back in the twentys to save "imporatant" area's pftttttttttttt nevertheless it could be subject to debate wether that particular section that failed was more or less designed to do so. As you know I worked the area after the storm and have varied opinions on the subject. The 9th ward was a very poor area not much contribution to the over all ecomomey of the area more of a drain nevertheless that doesn't make it "right" to flood a particular area and of course I am not saying it was done on purpose this time around. I also saw how the homes were kept in the differnt areas of town as one would expect the "rich" section was well kept up while the "poor" sections was falling down from lack of up keep and industrious termites. There is in my opinion a lot of complicated discussions that could come about this whole mess and there is. I would like to sit down with someone and discuss it or perhaps if others would contribute a bit more of their point of views about the whole idea of poor verses rich because in reality that's what it comes down to pre and post Katrina just one more thing I work for the ace and I will be just another voice saying there is way to much bacon.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, here's a bit of what I think on this:

I look at the reservation I live a mile from and see things that make me happy and things that really make me wanna cry.

There are families there who take care of their children, make sure the kids go to school (or they homeschool or they send their kids to private school), they work to put food on the table, they keep up their yards and homes, all the stuff that we expect out of a family contributing to society. These families are just like the rest of us with their ups and downs, having to deal with the economy, lay-offs, corporate offices, unions, et cetera. They are doing what they can with what they have not just living off the system, blaming others for their misfortunes, or expecting someone else to do it for them.

Then there the other homes. This is a small rez, so it is quite easy to see. There are those who use the excuse that "white man ____ " (fill in the blank, you've likely heard most of the excuses I have), who sit around and wait for a goveernment check, who don't do those things that they can for themselves, who let their yards fill up with junk and trash, who don't do basic maintanence on their homes. There is one manufactured home on the rez I know of which was put in three years ago which looks as if it were there for 20 years already. It's trashed.

The sad fact is that this is an issue all over our nation. No matter where we go there will be people who are living one way and people who are living the other. For many (not all) it is a matter of choice, though.

Now, I do think our government is in part to blame. I think they misuse/mishandle/waste our money too often and that they do much to keep the poor poor. But the downtrodden have a choice to work their way out, too. Many a person in this country has.

And we shouldn't forget that the poor aren't the only ones making choices. The people who are living in nice homes with yards that are decent and kids who are cared for are living that way because of choices they are making. They can choose to live in a dump, if they want. To ignore their kids, to never clean their yard. They make other choices, though. Choices that more of the poor should make if they really want a better life.

It won't be magic. They will have to work. It won't be easy. Not all of them will make it. BUT those who do make choices more like the people who are not living in this depravity will find that their lives can change.
Onward and Upward!
Mr. Potatoe Head

Very well said Dawn.... :-D

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

The press will lambast him... or ignore him.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/tan ... 08-31.html
Mr. Potatoe Head

That figure can't be correct, can it? That would equate to more than a billion dollars for every man woman and child alive in the world today.....you got to be kidding?